GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The Permanent fix for lag in acceleration/ Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-04, 12:28 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by rominl

we think 650rpm is a very good reference number

Oops Still too much.

Let's drop it down to 600 rpm with A/C off, tranny in drive and engine fully warmed up.
Old 04-08-04, 03:05 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Pearlpower
Adjusting the throttle cable till the idle raises is the exact same as stepping on the gas pedal a tad to bring the engine speed up. It should not be adjusted to this level for idle operation. However, many seem to have a constant low idle issue and yes, this will cure it to a degree.

Last week while driving I noticed a significant change in my idle. Lower by 200rpms and a bit rough. Since I just serviced the car the prior week ,I rechecked everything. My older Nippo plugs were shot and were replaced with a new Iridium NGK set. I adjusted the TPS to no avail. Finally I remembered that I cleaned and oiled the air filter. I pulled the MAF and using a flashlight peered into the internals to check the wires. They were "covered" with black crap. Completely covered. Obviously from an over oiled filter. I cleaned the wires with some carb cleaner and reset the ecu. Purrs like a cat and idles as smooth and great as it did when new.
This will not help all, but maybe some.
Lee
I totally agree with Pearl. While this mod may cure a little bit your problems of low idling (which I am also suffering from) but this should not be used as the "ultimate fix" for the low idle. I am still positive there's a deeper issue to deal with. I don't know if it's from your idle air control valve, or your tps, or your maf or even your plugs that are too cold.

I think I will still leave my car to idle at 620-630ish rpm, the difference is only a little from 600. I drove around and have not experienced the braking problems that rmm and rominl mentioned. Heck, if anything, this helps my car to stay planted on an incline (rather than drifting slowly back as if out of breath).
Old 09-25-04, 09:21 AM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does this fix work with an '03 drive-by-wire setup?
Old 09-25-04, 02:53 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ex996
does this fix work with an '03 drive-by-wire setup?
Nope u have a electrical wire controlling your throtle this will only help with a mechnical throttle cable.
Old 09-25-04, 07:33 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys. I too have the low idle problem with the AC off. I've read the thread and this solution seems logical, but I have one question. Maybe it will be obvious when I get in there, but once the nuts are loosened, which way do you pull the cable to tighten it?

e-man
Old 09-25-04, 11:16 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I had been experiencing this problem also, and will try this on mine. Hopefully it will fix that lag, although i don't really have a rough idle.

John
Old 09-26-04, 07:16 PM
daveyB14
Rookie

Originally posted by e-man
Hey guys. I too have the low idle problem with the AC off. I've read the thread and this solution seems logical, but I have one question. Maybe it will be obvious when I get in there, but once the nuts are loosened, which way do you pull the cable to tighten it?

e-man
If it's a GS3, then you pull toward the driver side.
Old 09-26-04, 08:02 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is masking a symptom of something else, not fixing the problem. Like someone else said-you are just doing the same thing as resting your foot on the gas pedal. That's not how you adjust idle.Half *** fix for low idle. Removing slack for responsivness is different story.
Old 09-27-04, 02:10 PM
RefinedGS
Driver

.02 cent comment, but wouldn't your MPG numbers diminish a tad on idle as well, since you are basically simulating pressure on the accel pad to raise the RPM levels?

Aside from the accel lag, I kinda like the low-end RPM at idle. Isn't not rough at all on mine, just purrrrfectly quiet tho'.
Old 09-28-04, 12:24 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

**UPDATE**

I went to the shop the other day and one of the technicians adjusted a little screw right on the throttle body using an allen key. He had the master tech sit on my driver's side looking at the RPM tach while he adjusts the screw very slowly by turning it. My car is obviously in park position, idling very low at around 500ish with the aircon on.

Lo and behold, as he turns the screw, the rpm begins to climb steadily until the master tech tells him to stop turning when the RPM touches 700prm. I know it's exactly 700rpm coz that's what my apex'i rsm is registering. I asked him if that's kinda high, but he said, that would be a good number for a twin turbo engine like mine. And he said, besides, you don't want your car to start rolling backwards on an incline do you?

Well, my problem is cured.

I don't know if you guys have that allen-screw thingie on your throttle body? It's black in color and it sitting smack right on top of the throttle body.
Old 09-29-04, 04:13 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
**UPDATE**

I went to the shop the other day and one of the technicians adjusted a little screw right on the throttle body using an allen key. He had the master tech sit on my driver's side looking at the RPM tach while he adjusts the screw very slowly by turning it. My car is obviously in park position, idling very low at around 500ish with the aircon on.

Lo and behold, as he turns the screw, the rpm begins to climb steadily until the master tech tells him to stop turning when the RPM touches 700prm. I know it's exactly 700rpm coz that's what my apex'i rsm is registering. I asked him if that's kinda high, but he said, that would be a good number for a twin turbo engine like mine. And he said, besides, you don't want your car to start rolling backwards on an incline do you?

Well, my problem is cured.
Since it's been a few days now, how is your idle doing?
Old 09-30-04, 01:19 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Yeah, I'm curious to know as well.
Old 09-30-04, 09:50 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LB Lex
Since it's been a few days now, how is your idle doing?
Actually, they fixed my idle problem together with the install of my intercooler and all the other stuff and that was a good 2-3 months ago (maybe even longer).

So I can tell you guys right now, that this is indeed the PERMANENT fix for MY rough idling problem. My car idles perfect exactly right where it should be.

Have you guys checked with your mechanics if you also have the black allen screw thingie on your throttle body?
Old 09-30-04, 09:54 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Have you guys checked with your mechanics if you also have the black allen screw thingie on your throttle body?
I'll check mine today when I change my pcv valve and tranny fluid. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 09-30-04, 11:44 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I finished replacing my PCV valve and did not notice the black allen srew on the throttle body. I think the one you are referring to is on the GS3, not the GS4. Anyways, I remember reading that BananaGS adjusted the throttle cable so that it kept the throttle slightly opened and it helped remove the low idle for a short time because the computer adjusted itself and brought the idle to a low RPM.

I guess this allen screw adjustment only works on the GS3

Quick Reply: The Permanent fix for lag in acceleration/ Rough Idle