GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2nd DSR v2 roof spoiler? :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-04, 03:31 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by chicagoblknazn
How did you install it? Did it come with the 3m tape already on it?
I have the same question.... it dosnt come with double sided tape..... What did you guys use to make it secure to car....??

thanks

kam
Old 04-07-04, 04:50 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use RTV silicone glue to attach it to the glass and it will alow you to move the spoiler around and get the fit just right. Then just tape it in place with masking tape and wait a few hours to dry.

You can also use 3m double stick tape, but make sure you have someone help you align it before pressing it down. Once it's stuck you can't move it or take it off very easy.
Old 04-07-04, 05:54 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RMMGS4
You can use RTV silicone glue to attach it to the glass and it will alow you to move the spoiler around and get the fit just right. Then just tape it in place with masking tape and wait a few hours to dry.

You can also use 3m double stick tape, but make sure you have someone help you align it before pressing it down. Once it's stuck you can't move it or take it off very easy.
So where does the glue go... ?? like on the Grove where that rubber peice (thats at the end of the rear widshield ) is suppose to sit ... so ure pretty much gluing that spoiler on to the rubber peice where the roof and the windshield meet? man im confused

also this glue you can find at homedepot ... ?

thanks

kam
Old 04-07-04, 06:00 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would glue to the glass only and not in the groove. You could put a couple of dabs in the groove to hold it, but I don't think it is neccessary. If you hold it in place with masking tape, it will stay in that position when the glue dries.

Just apply the glue all the way across with about a 3/16 bead right on the flat portion. After 24hors drying time, you will have a hard time trying to pull it off.

Permatex Brand RTV Silicone glue comes in black or clear at most auto parts stores.
Old 04-07-04, 06:03 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

How about I just take it to my body shop and have them to it, since they have to work on a few other things
Old 04-07-04, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

How about I just take it to my body shop and have them to it, since they have to work on a few other things
they will definitely know how to use double sided tape to stick it on well
Old 04-21-04, 09:56 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

OK...my car is at the body shop my Dealership uses for all of their cars. The fender and bumper replacements and adhesive removal for the emblems are all being taken care of. A quarter panel molding is also being replaced due to a clip breaking off from the previous owner. The DSR spoiler though is another story.

The guy there just called me to tell me that him and another gentleman tried fitting it to the car, but they don't advise I install it. He says the fitment is not as good as it should be and he could go ahead and use double sided 3M tape but he doesn't forsee the spoiler staying put for very long. He also said with the fitment as bad as it is, there are a few 1/8-1/4" gaps in several areas.

Any advice guys?
Old 04-21-04, 11:42 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK...my car is at the body shop my Dealership uses for all of their cars. The fender and bumper replacements and adhesive removal for the emblems are all being taken care of. A quarter panel molding is also being replaced due to a clip breaking off from the previous owner. The DSR spoiler though is another story.

The guy there just called me to tell me that him and another gentleman tried fitting it to the car, but they don't advise I install it. He says the fitment is not as good as it should be and he could go ahead and use double sided 3M tape but he doesn't forsee the spoiler staying put for very long. He also said with the fitment as bad as it is, there are a few 1/8-1/4" gaps in several areas.

Any advice guys?
Maybe you should go to the shop yourself and see how this guy is trying to fit your roof spoiler on. Maybe he just didn't know how to install it properly because I know personally several people who have installed them with absolutely no fitment problems whatsoever?
Old 04-21-04, 11:58 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I plan to go look at it next week when I pick the car up. Since I have several clients coming, including Bill from the Apprentice, and the partners are all in town, I can;t take off work. The shop only operates during business hours so I have to ditch work for a few hours to do anything with them more involved than a phone call.

Old 04-21-04, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's weird. the one i got was very nice. at most there are 1/8" gap on both sides but that's about it. while you are there, can you take some pics?
Old 04-21-04, 01:17 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

i installed my DSR roof spoiler my self... i dunno... i guess the ones that come painted dosnt fit perfect.... mayb cause of shrinkage in a few places from being in the Oven after painting...

mine was a ain in the *** to put on... and couldnt drive my car for like 2 days... cause of the silicon drying...

But... at the end... its all done and finished.... The product over all came out good.... no big gaps... or openings onces its in place ...

Looks nice.... will post pics when im all finished with my "new" setup

Last edited by CamRen; 04-21-04 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 01:31 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Did you silicone it to the glass?

I tried fitting it myself once when it first came, just to see what it would look like on the car and I did notice that I might have to bend it a little to fit it better but I figured that the double sided tape would take care of that.
Old 04-21-04, 01:38 PM
ias
Pole Position

where do you get a roof spoiler and how much $$$$$$
Old 04-21-04, 01:56 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Contact HKGS300 for the DSR v2....

he'll handle it.
Old 04-21-04, 02:02 PM