GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help: Places to do a Supra swap on a GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-04, 07:52 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Places to do a Supra swap on a GS

Hey guys, I wondered if you could help me out by listing out all the shops near Texas that I could get a supra engine swap and 6-speed swap done at. I know of Stage6 and Toyomoto in florida, JPI and Powerhouse racing in texas, but what other shops could do this swap?

I'm hoping to find a place where i can get my car sponsored for this shop as i feel it will be the final piece to finishing my GS into show-car material.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-04, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i know tmengineering can do it, no idea on sponsorship. you need to have a lot of commitments anyway
Old 04-06-04, 08:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Check with JPI, I suspect they can do it or a NA-T setup. Don't know if they'd 'sponsor' you though.

http://www.jpimportz.org/

They're in TX, DFW area

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-06-04 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-07-04, 10:09 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I've talked to JPI, I just wondered if there were any other shops that could perform the swap.
Old 04-07-04, 08:30 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

i know stage 6 here in jacksonville could do it.. told me it would e abour 24k. thogh.. but that s 850hp with 6 speed tranny
rick
Old 04-07-04, 08:50 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue98Gs3: Please don't take this the wrong way but to find a shop to sponsor a Supra Swap will be "almost" impossible to find. The amount of labor that's involved in doing a job like this takes many, many man hours and unless you have spent a great deal of money at their shop already, i don't think it will happen. You may get lucky in finding a shop that may sponsor you on labor but you still have to pay for the motor, extra parts, wiring, etc.... or vise versa...

The same thing applies for getting sponsorships with Turbo companies. Unless your car is magazine material, it's extremely hard to even get them to listen to you.... I wish you the very best and good luck.
Old 04-07-04, 09:41 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the advice lxogood, Yeah i realized how long it would take for the wiring after watching TLC's ride's show on the IS430. As you said, its hard for a full sponsorhip.... Oh well, I'll keep trying.
Old 04-07-04, 10:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Blue98Gs3: Please don't take this the wrong way but to find a shop to sponsor a Supra Swap will be "almost" impossible to find. The amount of labor that's involved in doing a job like this takes many, many man hours and unless you have spent a great deal of money at their shop already, i don't think it will happen. You may get lucky in finding a shop that may sponsor you on labor but you still have to pay for the motor, extra parts, wiring, etc.... or vise versa...

The same thing applies for getting sponsorships with Turbo companies. Unless your car is magazine material, it's extremely hard to even get them to listen to you.... I wish you the very best and good luck.
very well put. personally i think if you can pull off a deal and pay for all the parts and the shop pays for all the labor, that's a killer deal already
Old 04-08-04, 05:40 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

engine upgrade sponsorship isn't that easy, trust me...u'r best bet is 2 pay 4 the parts at retail or a little under and c if they pay 4 the labor which is around 1k-1500.00 4 a basic turbo, S/C....i'm still in talks about this type of deal myself....yet the issue is like rom and lxogood said when u r sponsored u r also they're show and event slave....so they will want u 2 b at everyshow amd if they have an event they will want u thier also in my case i might b a prototype 4 something new and they will really want 2 have the car as much as possilbe 2 show it 2 new customers....so its not all as cake as it seems 2 b.. good luck i hope u find what u'r looking 4...

edit..also if u get some smaller sponsors like say maguires or turlte wax or something like it helps with the bigger ones...

Last edited by bluelex; 04-08-04 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-08-04, 09:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

getting sponsored by maguiers isn't that hard i think, they are sponsoring like every car at the shows anyway. not sure if i would get on that coz' the only thing i use from them is the tire dressing, haha....

and about sponsoring the labor, if you are doing a single turbo or sc, the labor isn't that bad, maybe around 2k like bluelex said. but if you want to do a full supra tt swap and ask for free labor? good luck. i won't go into details (and i know it for a fact, it's TRUE), but the labor will cost damn lots. the supra tt swap isn't easy at all by all means. engine doesn't fit like that already, and then the tranny, computer, electronics, etc... i will just say that the labor is WAY more than 2k, if you get it professionally installed
Old 04-08-04, 02:51 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything is possible. Like we talked about bluegs300, you have to sign terms and conditions. There ain't any shop will do it for free. Now the na-t set up is a different story. Here are some options you can go. TT with auto, na-t with thicker h/g 320whp with 10 psi on pump gas. Doesn't need a gte to go fast. Anything is possible, but how deep is your pocket though?
JPI

Last edited by JPI Racing; 04-08-04 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-08-04, 09:48 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Very well said JPI... its all about the cash flow. Companies dont sponsor cars because of the idea, its usually because of what you have done to it to promote the car. and with an endless budget, you can make your car have a jet engine if you wanted to. i say something like that with parts labor and a 900hp turbo engine and tranny would run the gammit at 30-35k. so its going to be tough to find a company to give in for that amount when they are basically starting with a raw car. Best of luck though.
Old 04-08-04, 10:56 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Well the reason for the GTE swap is the reliability and strength of the gte engine, the 6-speed beafy transmissiion, and the option to go crazy on the motor. Withe the na-t, id want to go crazy on the engine later, and my transmission would have to beefed up and stuff, gte w/ 6-spd will save me the beefing up of the internals.

What i want to do now is pull around 350 horsepower now because my parents wont let me have a beast of a car, but when i get more money and am in or out of college, i wanna have a beast of an engine with around 600 horsepower.