GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New GS with old rattles

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-04, 10:18 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
It's only available from the dealer (and maybe a body shop)--again, they should provide to you for free if you ask.
You were lucky. I asked the dealer I usually go to. They would not give it to me. I did not feel it was worth the time (or gas) to try other dealers so I just went to Walmart. Cost me a $1 although they were not in strips and thickness differences. At the end of the day, it is fixed now for me but it did bug me that the dealer denied my request. I went there for something else and asked as long as I was there. It does not cost that much but it went a long way in alienating me.
Old 04-11-04, 10:46 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
You were lucky. I asked the dealer I usually go to. They would not give it to me. I did not feel it was worth the time (or gas) to try other dealers so I just went to Walmart. Cost me a $1 although they were not in strips and thickness differences. At the end of the day, it is fixed now for me but it did bug me that the dealer denied my request. I went there for something else and asked as long as I was there. It does not cost that much but it went a long way in alienating me.
Actually, when I asked my Lexus dealer for them (Lexus of Seattle), the parts guy initially resisted, but as I mentioned my car is out of warranty and I was buying some parts anyways, he then got a page of felt for me.

The other Lexus service manager (Cory Adamson) that I go to when I'm visiting in Idaho (Peterson Lexus) had no problem whatsoever when I asked for some felt (in fact, he gave me 2 full pages of different thicknesses, and some different thicknesses of foam tape and a few other things as well to help me w/ my sunroof rattle). He's a great service manager--knows his stuff, and is not too "stuffy" like some of the managers over at Lexus of Seattle or Lexus of Bellevue can be.

The felt tape pages probably don't run more than a dollar a page, but I guess it's all how "stuck-up" the Lexus service manager/parts counter-person is. I think if you're buying something else there like leater conditioner (or already have an ongoing relationshiip w/ them), it might also help. Sorry to hear that you couldn't get some felt from that dealer of yours.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 04-11-04 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-11-04, 10:08 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally posted by Cadd
Does anyone have a pic of what "felt" looks like? Can I just goto Walmart and ask for "felt"? I'm not sure what that is......is it like double-tape?
Below is a pic of the black felt tape strips. It's of the whole page (about 20 felt strips across), but you can see that an individual felt strip is about 5 mm wide, and again, it runs about 24" long.

The face is just felt (about 1mm thick) and has tape on the bottom surface. I think this is pretty much standard stuff that dealers use to quiet down squeaks and rattles in cars. I would imagine that even a Toyota dealer would have the same material--its worth a shot. . .
Attached Thumbnails New GS with old rattles-felt-tape.jpg  
Old 04-12-04, 05:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
drwaldo69: I just recently had the rattle between the dash and windshield fixed which was coming from the passenger side. The dealer put a special foam type material between the dash and windshield which caused the strange niose to disappear... May want to have them try that. Now my latest noise is coming from the Sunroof shade. I can't stand that tapping noise I'm hearing.... urgghhh

I also agree with Bit & redgs4 about the braces. They do help some of the niose flex in the car but may add more roof and dash rattles.

mmarshall: huh? Care to explain your "Moderator, take note" comment!
I thought the idea to put in cross-bracing across the engine and trunk compartments was an excellent one...and just wanted the moderator to give that person credit for it, too. You'll notice that many sports packages.....especially factory tuned versions like MazdaSpeed, TRD, Subaru STi, Mitsubishi Evo, Nissan's Track 350Z, etc.....come with either front, rear, or both cross-bracing. It not only helps prevent rattles but firms up the structure even more for tight handling.
The foam-type approach you and your dealer used for your car will work for a while (wish you luck with it), but with time the material may dry out, crumble and lose effectiveness...and may have to be cleaned out and re-applied.
And, of course, the best way to prevent rattles is to stay on smoother roads whenever possible and make sure the tires don't have any more pressure in them than is necessary (or recommended)....hard tires are a SURE way to rattles. The warm sun will help a lot, too...as I stated in my first post....by expanding all the inside parts and getting good seals.
Old 04-12-04, 06:54 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof fix

doesn't look excellent, but what i did was get foam stickie tape, and pretty much apply it to all parts of the sunroof, and the parts that it slides into, and off of. not an excellent description, but the rattle stopped.
Old 04-12-04, 03:33 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: sunroof fix

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
Below is a pic of the black felt tape strips. It's of the whole page (about 20 felt strips across), but you can see that an individual felt strip is about 5 mm wide, and again, it runs about 24" long.

The face is just felt (about 1mm thick) and has tape on the bottom surface. I think this is pretty much standard stuff that dealers use to quiet down squeaks and rattles in cars. I would imagine that even a Toyota dealer would have the same material--its worth a shot. . .
Thanks bro. Really appreciate you taking the time to take the pic.
Cadd
Old 04-12-04, 10:35 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: sunroof fix

Originally posted by Cadd
Thanks bro. Really appreciate you taking the time to take the pic.
Cadd
That is the page from the dealership. The ones at Walmart and other craft stores is just one big page of felt and you will have to cut them to whatever size you want.
Old 06-04-04, 08:47 PM
drwaldo69
Driver School Candidate

Thread from the dead. I went to the Lexus dealer. Asked for felt. The mechanic said theirs was "really picked through" and that several mechanics had to share what they had. He did give me a little. Didn't exactly make me want to take my car in and see if a) they could figure out where the rattle was coming from b) then had to scrap together some felt and "make due". So, I just bought the interior noise part kit which has every known type/size of felt known to man. Very expensive but I thought I will have the stuff for future cars. I have felted about everything like Seattle GS has recommended. Don't forget the cover over the ignition. I felted that also (it just pops off) and it helped the dash bezel fit tighter. The mechanic did give me a new idea that worked awesome. Where my dash rubbed on the front windshield (about the middle foot) he told me to stick vacuum tube between the dash and windshield just below the lower tint line. I got several diameters from the auto parts store and 7/32 worked perfect. I cut about 4 ft, pushed it between the dash and windshield until I felt a little resistance and stopped. Can't see it and no squeaks. I stopped short of the dash VIN plate but could get the whole thing out with tweezers or pickups if need be.

Now, how do I get the chrome shifter bezel off with out feeling like I'm going to break something? How is it attached? I want to felt underneath it. I need to join FA (Felters Anonymous)!
Old 06-05-04, 12:11 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally posted by drwaldo69
So, I just bought the interior noise part kit which has every known type/size of felt known to man. Very expensive but I thought I will have the stuff for future cars. I have felted about everything like Seattle GS has recommended. Don't forget the cover over the ignition. I felted that also (it just pops off) and it helped the dash bezel fit tighter. The mechanic did give me a new idea that worked awesome. Where my dash rubbed on the front windshield (about the middle foot) he told me to stick vacuum tube between the dash and windshield just below the lower tint line. I got several diameters from the auto parts store and 7/32 worked perfect. I cut about 4 ft, pushed it between the dash and windshield until I felt a little resistance and stopped. Can't see it and no squeaks. I stopped short of the dash VIN plate but could get the whole thing out with tweezers or pickups if need be.

Now, how do I get the chrome shifter bezel off with out feeling like I'm going to break something? How is it attached? I want to felt underneath it. I need to join FA (Felters Anonymous)!
Old thread sure, but it's still pertinent information for future reference

Anyways, a couple of questions for clarification:

1. What is the interior noise kit's part number, and how much did it set you back? This is for those that cant' get free felt from the dealer.

2. When you say to, "Don't forget the cover over the ignition. I felted that also (it just pops off) and it helped the dash bezel fit tighter."--is that the whole plastic piece that is above and around the steering wheel, but under the gauge cluster bezel?

3. Can you get a pic of what you did for the dash and the windshield? When you say "vacuum tube" is that like the ones in the old radios, or is it like a syringe type tube, or is it just clear vinyl tubing? I don't have this particular noise problem, but it would be good to know for future reference.

For your chrome bezel trim piece--I don't know if it's hard or soft, but for my '99 GS400, it's a medium-hard plastic piece (albeit just black), and I can push it at a couple of spots (assuming from either the outer left or the outer right side) towards the presumed central area of the piece (towards the "D" or "M" in the shift detent), and it is held by some tabs underneath. I was doing this to clean out a minor soda spill that got under the trim piece. Yours might be the same, but you'll have to be careful w/ the chrome, as not to scratch it.

Thanks for the update--it's great to know that you're getting it quieter like it should be.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 06-05-04 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-05-04, 08:07 AM
drwaldo69
Driver School Candidate

1. The part number for the "interior noise kit" is 08231-00801. I got the number from a TSB I was reading. When I first asked about it from parts they were like "uh?" and said it didn't exsist. I gave them the number and they found it. When I picked it up they were like "one of the old timers here said he hadn't seen one of these for a while" Cost 115.00. There is enough for probably 4-5 people if a group wanted to go in on it together. Maybe Carson could get it cheaper, I got mine local. 2. The vacuum tube is black tube and soft (rubbber or whatever) that is hollow inside. You can pinch it between your fingers. You have various sizes under the hood. Like the tube that comes off a carburetor for a motorcycle. Heat won't bother it since it is made for the engine bay. Just go to an auto parts store and ask for it and they will ask you what size. I just eyeballed a few and bought them. Cost about $2 for several sizes. Cheapest fix possible. My camera is at the office but if I get it this weekend I will try to post. 3. The actual cover around the ignition on my car was a little loose. I could grab it a push it up towards the gauge bezel and would make a poppin noise. I could also move it laterally to the right and it would make a noise. The side that contacts the steering wheel hub is actually open with a thick piece of black felt covering it. I pulled off the cover. The ring around the metal ignition comes off easily( mine came off as I pulled the cover off), then pull the cover off. You might have to jiggle it up and down a little to work it off. It is held on with the same alligator clips that holds in the vents and bezels. I then put extra felt on the right side and on top where it meets the gauge bezel. Much more secure now. I have seen some old posts on the dash/ windshield squeak and wish they would have known about the vacuum tube. Beats trying to stick felt up there.
Old 06-05-04, 08:26 AM
drwaldo69
Driver School Candidate

One last thing about the vacuum tubing. Once you have it between the winshield and dash and it is hidden by the tint line stop. You don't want to push it too far and push it behind the dash. That is why it is important to have just the right size tubing ( sounds like my wife) that is a little bigger in diameter than the gap between the windshield and dash. Use the middle part of the dash to decide about which size. The tubing will be really loose on the outside parts of the dash because the dash has much more clearance there.
Old 06-05-04, 10:11 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

That interior kit--at $115, that's quite expensive--maybe the dealer really amped up the price on it (or maybe it really is that price)?!! Glad I can get mine for free. Anyways, thanks for the clarification on the front dash/lower front windshielf squeak noise fix using the "vacuum tube" (aka black rubber hose 7/32" diameter)--it's good info.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 06-05-04 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-05-04, 11:51 AM
drwaldo69
Driver School Candidate

The kit is expensive. Someone could probably get with a company who sells diferent types of felt, foam stripping and sell them on this web site. Throw in some vacuum tubing and you got even a better kit! I figured I can do it better than some mechanic in a hurry who really doesn't care about my car. With everyones help here I think I have succeeded. Overall $115 for a kit that will last me the next 10-15 years, saving me missed work taking my car in, not to mention the aggravation makes it seem a little better. I would have definitely paid another $115 when I bought my car to have no rattles. I also forgot to mention I had a credit at the dealership which took out some of the sting.
Old 08-03-12, 09:07 PM
brendonsoo
Driver School Candidate

Default Tubing is the go!

Originally Posted by drwaldo69
The kit is expensive. Someone could probably get with a company who sells diferent types of felt, foam stripping and sell them on this web site. Throw in some vacuum tubing and you got even a better kit! I figured I can do it better than some mechanic in a hurry who really doesn't care about my car. With everyones help here I think I have succeeded. Overall $115 for a kit that will last me the next 10-15 years, saving me missed work taking my car in, not to mention the aggravation makes it seem a little better. I would have definitely paid another $115 when I bought my car to have no rattles. I also forgot to mention I had a credit at the dealership which took out some of the sting.
G'Day Guys,

My local Lexus dealer rudely quoted me $1,895 to extend the factory warranty on my GS 450h so that they could attend to the incessant “clicking" dash under warranty give it was a known issue in the GS and an epidemic issue in the IS. The clicking/rattling is indeed more prevalent when the weather is cold.
I then happened to read this thread and applied the black rubber tubing that drwaldo69 kindly suggested and low and behold, my car is now super quiet!

BTW, I also placed a round piece of self-adhesive rubber (the ones you put on the base of chair legs to prevent them slipping or scratching your hard floors) under the air filter box as it rattles about against the wheel well. Just remove the air filter box and you'll notice an area on one of the corners where it is tarnished the black plastic as it constantly rubs against the car when you drive over rough surfaces.
There's nothing like a super quiet engine bay by resolving a simple rattle that sounds like a suspension component has come loose or is worn.

Best, Brendon
Old 08-03-12, 09:50 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brendonsoo
G'Day Guys,

My local Lexus dealer rudely quoted me $1,895 to extend the factory warranty on my GS 450h so that they could attend to the incessant “clicking" dash under warranty give it was a known issue in the GS and an epidemic issue in the IS. The clicking/rattling is indeed more prevalent when the weather is cold.
I then happened to read this thread and applied the black rubber tubing that drwaldo69 kindly suggested and low and behold, my car is now super quiet!

BTW, I also placed a round piece of self-adhesive rubber (the ones you put on the base of chair legs to prevent them slipping or scratching your hard floors) under the air filter box as it rattles about against the wheel well. Just remove the air filter box and you'll notice an area on one of the corners where it is tarnished the black plastic as it constantly rubs against the car when you drive over rough surfaces.
There's nothing like a super quiet engine bay by resolving a simple rattle that sounds like a suspension component has come loose or is worn.

Best, Brendon
Not only did you bump an 8 year old thread but you also posted in the wrong section Smh! Reading is really fundamental.