GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

All Lexus owners should read

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 05:29 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad you are okay I have never had an expereince like this before and hopefully never will maybe it is an isolated incident but thanks for letting CL members know. I'm not an expert nor do I claim 2 be but a question I thought would have been asked earlier is,

Have you done any recent engine mods,and if so what were they?
At any other time has this happened @ lower speeds?
Old 04-12-04, 07:47 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

glad to hear that you are ok and that they are looking into the problem. when i was a mechinic at VW, we had a Passat W8 that was having a similar problem and that car was in and out about 30-40 times in 6months. VW ended up buying the car back and dismantaling it completly until they found the problem. what i was told the problem was a bad fuel pump relay. I thought to myself that "how would it be possible for a Fuel pump relay to controll accelaration???" but what the VW guys told the dealership was that it was getting a faulty signal from the relay saying that the car was under full acceloration and needed all the gas possible, therefore causing the PCM to think that the driver was giving it full throttle engagement. The thing is, it would get to a point where the car would run like that for about 5 min, get to about 90mph and then disengage. They had since made a bulletin about the problem and but out a service advisory for the Passat W8 owners to get new relays and relay panel. ive been told that the first passat has since been crushed to a cube. Hope your problem is as simple as that, because on the passat, thats an hour and a half worth of work.

Also, as for the technology thing, you have to remember that the computer is only going to store a fault code if the ECM THINKS there is a problem. With the fault being continous between the Relays and the PCM, the computer did not think there was a problem, therefore no code was generated and the MIL did not activate. If the driver thinks there is a problem, thats totally diffrent than the Car thinking there is a problem.

Hope to hear that your problem has been resolved in a timley manner... Hopefully Toyota/ Lexus will ste up no matter what the situation is.
Old 04-12-04, 08:31 PM
TOPSPEED
Rookie

The service department at my local Lexus dealership had contact me this afternoon. He told me that two service manager had driven and put about 50 miles on my car, but they can't duplicate the problem. Also my car has undergone various tests on machine and computer, but they can't find any thing wrong. Well, I told them, it took me 3 years and driving it for 30000 miles to find this problem, just doing some tests is not enough to tell me there is no problem. Because I know there is some serious problem there, and I had experienced it. They told me they will keep the car another day to see if there is anything else they can do.

What do all of your guys think about on this? If the dealer found no problem on my car, what should I do? I had contacted the Lexus customer service, and National Highway Saftety. I am also trying to get in touch with a few lawyers. Maybe my local news will be another option?
Old 04-12-04, 08:45 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by TOPSPEED
The service department at my local Lexus dealership had contact me this afternoon. He told me that two service manager had driven and put about 50 miles on my car, but they can't duplicate the problem. Also my car has undergone various tests on machine and computer, but they can't find any thing wrong. Well, I told them, it took me 3 years and driving it for 30000 miles to find this problem, just doing some tests is not enough to tell me there is no problem. Because I know there is some serious problem there, and I had experienced it. They told me they will keep the car another day to see if there is anything else they can do.

What do all of your guys think about on this? If the dealer found no problem on my car, what should I do? I had contacted the Lexus customer service, and National Highway Saftety. I am also trying to get in touch with a few lawyers. Maybe my local news will be another option?

topspeed stick to your guns i had a problem with my local lexus dealership with some damage done to my wheels and if your not firm and stand your ground they will try to walk all over you trust me i have been there good luck.......
Old 04-12-04, 09:17 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I think the Local News will be pushing it and youll get a response that you didnt really anticipate. That would be a good reccomendation if you took your car in and they just sat on it and returned it to you saying they fixed the problem. youve filed a copmplaint with lexus, and you have made them aware that you had a serious problem that involves their attention. You also have Involved the NHTSA, which is good because all problems that involve factory recalls have to be documented. so they will research that as well. but dont let your emotions get the best of you. you get something like the local news involved and you might end up with your car sitting in the back of the dealership in tons of pieces while the lawyers are trying to sort things out. To me a lawyer isnt going to help your situation any as this may have just been a freak thing. That does happen. Its a proven fact that nothing on this planet is 100% correct and 100% of the time, and when the do fail it takes a great toll. as in all things in life, there are certain steps that must be taken to overcome any faliure. I personally wouldnt go rushing to step 10, when they are still at step 2.

I agree that this is one of the situations that you have to stand firm and make yourself heard, but this may turn out the be an isolated incident and you know the saying "you mess with the bull, and you get the horns."

Just my .02
Old 04-13-04, 01:52 AM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

TOPSPEED glad to see your ok and in one piece. I once had my throttle stuck, and the way I got it out was to keep stomping on the gas pedal. Yeah I know it sounds weird, but it was taught to me many years ago in auto shop. Sometimes the linkage gets jammed up. I agree with DaveGS4, could be a cable problem.

Chris
Old 04-13-04, 04:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Like the others, I'm glad that you're OK and survived this. Usually the best thing to do if the throttle sticks is to go into neutral...this will redline the engine and possibly damage it, but that is preferable to losing your power stering and brakes....or possibly locking the steering column if you try to cut the ignition off.

I got one question myself, though: If this guy pulled out to pass you in another lane, why did you speed up if you know he wanted to pass you? Seems like this is how the whole thing got started in the first place.
Old 04-13-04, 10:57 AM
TOPSPEED
Rookie

mmarshall,

Why I didn't let him pass? First of all, I wasn't in the left lane, but middle lane. He already went around me front the right lane to left lane. Second, regardless how we drive our Lexus on freeway, the gas pedal shouldn't got stucked at first place. However, I do take your advice, I will drive less aggressively, actually, I already drive like this.

thanks
Old 04-13-04, 11:16 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, 4-5 minutes sounds a lot to me.. especially in this kind of situation, good thing you didnt panic or anything like that..

i'd switch it to neuteral or turn off engine at all.. i wouldn't last 4-5 min going that fast with no control of my car.. and i 150% would take it to corp level
Old 04-13-04, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by TOPSPEED
mmarshall,

Why I didn't let him pass? First of all, I wasn't in the left lane, but middle lane. He already went around me front the right lane to left lane. Second, regardless how we drive our Lexus on freeway, the gas pedal shouldn't got stucked at first place. However, I do take your advice, I will drive less aggressively, actually, I already drive like this.

thanks
Yeah, TOPSPEED...we aren't trying to be nannies....we're all glad (me included) you are safe. I was just trying to help get to the root of a lot of these kind of problems. I live right outside the Washington, DC Beltway.....one of the absolute worst roads in the country for both congestion and aggressive driving. People here are IDIOTS. There have been numerous multi-car pileups and deaths from this nonsense, and a number of people (survivors) are doing LONG prison sentences.

Long ago I learned to just drive and let drive....but you are correct in that a throttle should not stick regardless of the driving conditions. I'd recommend you report this to Lexus Engineering (maybe the Lexus 1-800 number can transfer you), also report it to the NHTSA Safety Hotline....they keep stats on this kind of stuff......and the Center for Auto Safety...another agency that keeps this kind of stat.

Take care and good luck.
Old 04-13-04, 02:31 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
Like the others, I'm glad that you're OK and survived this. Usually the best thing to do if the throttle sticks is to go into neutral...this will redline the engine and possibly damage it, but that is preferable to losing your power stering and brakes....
Can you redline an engine in "N"? I thought the computer automatically limts your revs up to a certain point.....maybe 5,000RPMs or so?
Old 04-13-04, 04:10 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

just found this on pressroom.toyota.com

Statement Regarding Preliminary NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) Investigation Of Reports For Camry, Camry Solara And ES 300 Throttle Control System

04/13/2004

(Information as of 4/13/04)

The auto industry has experienced a long history of isolated reports of alleged sudden acceleration, involving vehicles of virtually every make. Numerous investigations going back many decades have consistently suggested that these incidents were unrelated to vehicle malfunction.

In its current preliminary evaluation of Camry, Solara and ES 300 vehicles, NHTSA has recently revised the number of complaints under consideration from 37 down to 12, concluding that correct application of the brakes would have controlled the vehicle. None of the complaints involve any injuries.

Customer safety remains our highest priority. We are carefully studying the remaining complaints, in cooperation with NHTSA, to determine the facts in each instance. But this process requires time and care. Any speculation about possible causes would be premature and counterproductive.

It is important to note that no specific defect has been identified by NHTSA, nor is there any recall of these vehicles. Customers who have any questions or concerns should contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331 or Lexus Customer Satisfaction line at 1-800-25-LEXUS.

# # #
Toyota Motor Sales USA Media Relations
Old 04-13-04, 10:37 PM
TOPSPEED
Rookie

CamRen,

Thank you so much for your valuable information. With this link, at least I can show my local dealer that I am not the only one out there who has experienced this kind of situation.

Now, update on my case:

My local Lexus dealer called me late this afternoon and told me that they still couldn't find the problem after more tests. I called back and spoke to the assisstance service manager. Well, he is not a nice guy! First of all, he didn't answer back my greeting on the phone. Second, he told me the only possibility would be my carpet or floor mat got stucked to the gas padel. He repeatly stated, there won't be any other explainations or possibilites that could cause my stituation. Moreover, when I asked his suggestion, he told me to contact the Lexus customer service. I then asked him if he had contact Lexus engineering department for help. He said that the dealer had the same number as I do, when they need to contact the Lexus. Based on his statement, I guess the Lexus customer service line also serves as the "dealer assisstance line"?! Anyway, he told me I can keep the loaner unitl Lexus call me back.

I am waiting to hear your guys' opinion and suggestions.

Thanks
Old 04-14-04, 04:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Cadd
Can you redline an engine in "N"? I thought the computer automatically limts your revs up to a certain point.....maybe 5,000RPMs or so?
Depends on the electronics and if there is a fuel shut-off at redline. I've never deliberately tried this myself to find out. If there is, so much the better.
Old 04-14-04, 07:12 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Topspeed, it sounds like the dealer guys arren't really taking your problem very serious.

Quick Reply: All Lexus owners should read