GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

door wood trim...is it real wood? (Yes, all Lexus have real wood)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-04, 03:44 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Got to Be Real !

Originally posted by rominl
well, in that case i know something you dont'
hmmmm...mine wasnt real... was it rom?
Old 04-19-04, 07:01 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Get serious.....some of those people couldn't give you the time of day. They're basically hired as public relations people and not much else.
Not sure about your experience with Lexus Customer Satisfaction department but I have great experience with Lexus Customer Satisfaction department. The Lexus Customer Satisfaction department contacted my Lexus service and provide a free navigation update after my GS warranty expired. The Lexus Customer Satisfaction department wasn't able to answer my questions about my Navigation system but went ahead and ordered a Navigation manual for me for free.
Old 04-19-04, 07:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Got to Be Real !

Originally posted by koreanpers
hmmmm...mine wasnt real... was it rom?
well rmmgs4 proved it, has to be real. i installed the blackwood for him, the pieces are the same as the ones we have, so...
Old 04-19-04, 07:45 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Not only is it real, I remember reading (I believe it was the Lexus magazine) that all the wood in a particular Lexus comes from one piece of wood too keep the same grain and color. If one piece is damaged in the factory, all pieces have to be replaced.

I'm surprised some thought the wood wasn't real; my RX had (as most Lexus vehicles do) genuine Burled California Walnut.

So, if you want, you can sand down your wood trim and refinish for a different color
Old 04-19-04, 09:13 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by LexRX
Not only is it real, I remember reading (I believe it was the Lexus magazine) that all the wood in a particular Lexus comes from one piece of wood too keep the same grain and color. If one piece is damaged in the factory, all pieces have to be replaced.

I'm surprised some thought the wood wasn't real; my RX had (as most Lexus vehicles do) genuine Burled California Walnut.

So, if you want, you can sand down your wood trim and refinish for a different color
I agree with LexRX. Every Lexus has real wood. I've never heard of plastic or "PLOOD" in a Lexus. I am talking about all stock wood. I am 100% positive.
Lexus finally offers different wood, but only in the LS and SC. The IS can no longer be had with the wood switchplates (which were real).

This little detail is what sets apart GREAT cars from GOOD ones. If I want PLOOD, I'll buy an Accord or Camry with it. If u ante up for a luxury brand, it should come with real wood.
Old 04-19-04, 09:53 PM
hawk
Driver

Originally posted by LexRX

i read the same article.....i'd have been surprised if this was fake wood.....fake stuff is always easy to point out. i surely would not be surprised to find out that it's a very thin layer. weight saving and cost saving
Old 04-20-04, 12:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree with LexRX. Every Lexus has real wood. I've never heard of plastic or "PLOOD" in a Lexus. I am talking about all stock wood. I am 100% positive.
Lexus finally offers different wood, but only in the LS and SC. The IS can no longer be had with the wood switchplates (which were real).

This little detail is what sets apart GREAT cars from GOOD ones. If I want PLOOD, I'll buy an Accord or Camry with it. If u ante up for a luxury brand, it should come with real wood.
yeah i was wrong. but at least it's still wood trim, coz' it's still wood over plastic. kinda surprised this is cheaper stiff
Old 04-20-04, 07:42 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

our bimmer has real wood, cuz when one peice was faded..they had to order all new wood pieces...and it took 3 orders, and 2 months to get all the peices to match
Old 04-21-04, 02:25 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

You can tell it's wood because it has dimension to it. It's a thin layer, but there's grain in them there woods.
Old 04-22-04, 12:43 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Plood was only in 1 Lexus... the LX450!
Old 09-19-04, 11:12 PM
junebug
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: Got to Be Real !

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Yeah ,
I just did a blackwood conversion, so these old pieces were out just a couple of days ago. The timing couldn't of been better.

Well I'm glad it is real wood too. As far as being only a thin veneer, that's not so bad when you consider that most wood furniture is just Medium desity fiberboard over thin wood veneer too. Seldom do you see even expensive furniture that is solid wood, unless it's old / antique stuff. We shouldn't feel bad about the veneer at all.

Where did you get your blackwood done?
Old 09-20-04, 12:10 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Got to Be Real !

Originally posted by junebug
Where did you get your blackwood done?
Welcome to ClubLexus.

You will soon find everyone telling you to do an advanced search.

I'll help here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=blackwood

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=blackwood

Some of he best blackwood discussions are by rominl, chaskim and lxogood so do a search with their screennames.