GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Driver's Window Clunking

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 11:25 AM
jroosh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Window Clunking

My 2001 GS 430 has a driver's window that makes a clunking noise over left side potholes, manholes, etc. If you open the window even a little bit, the noise goes away.

My usually excellent Dealer Service Guy says they can't adjust window for fear of messing up the Auto up/down feature.

Please respond if you have personally experienced and addressed this issue.

Thank you.
Old 04-18-04, 07:45 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I had a problem with my 2000 GS400 where my driver's side window would rattle, like it was loose. My service rep replaced the window seal and the rattle was gone.
Old 04-19-04, 06:21 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted an identicle thread about 2 weeks ago. My 2001 GS does the same thing. I originally thought it was the window but I am not so sure, it may be the hole door moving up and down. I borrowed an ultra-sonic listening device from work and stood outsdie the car with a tone generator inside the car to determine where the window seal was weak. I went around the seal with a probe and listened where the noise got the loudest and it remained constant. Remeber this was a static test not dynamic, when you are driving and air pressure in the car is different than outside. Next time you drive put your hand outside the window and put it between the window frame and roof and you will feel alot of movement. I may adjust my jamb clasp in a little, but mine does it infrequent.

These cars are pathetic when it comes to noises especially for a 43K JD Power mid size luxury winner. I have fixed 3 noises the dealer has fixed one and I have 4 left. I fixed the center vent rice crispy noise, the glove box rattle, the driver side seat back popping noise when you push on the back of the seat, and the dealer got the resonance rattling sound. I still have alot of thermal expansion noises from the passenger side vent etc and door frames. I always say buy used because it allows you to digest your dislikes at a discount. I have driven 8 other GS300 and they all do the same thing, so it is not unique to my car.
Old 04-19-04, 06:37 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by XYZLexus1

These cars are pathetic when it comes to noises especially for a 43K JD Power mid size luxury winner. I have fixed 3 noises the dealer has fixed one and I have 4 left. I fixed the center vent rice crispy noise, the glove box rattle, the driver side seat back popping noise when you push on the back of the seat, and the dealer got the resonance rattling sound. I still have alot of thermal expansion noises from the passenger side vent etc and door frames. I always say buy used because it allows you to digest your dislikes at a discount. I have driven 8 other GS300 and they all do the same thing, so it is not unique to my car.
Can you shed a little light on the center vent rice crispy noise, mine does the same thing...

TIA

Last edited by CinFulxgs; 04-19-04 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 06:36 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I posted a post a couple of weeks ago, do a search on snap, crackle pop. I will warn you, when using the silicone be very carefull not to get it on the front of the vent or any exposed surfaces. When I was doing my center console I got some on my cup holder lid, $100 bucks later and the spot is gone, I had to buy a new cup holder because the silicone would not come off and when it did it took the paint off the lid so be carefull!! I am getting a digital camera, I plan on posting tons of pictures of all the rattle fixes that I performed, rattle is not the right word more like rice crispy sounds, hey since it is a rice burner may be it supposed to make them!!!!
Old 04-20-04, 07:24 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

A DIY like that would be much appreciated from everyone I'm sure!

Thanks
Old 03-13-05, 03:20 PM
jroosh
Driver

Originally Posted by XYZLexus1
I posted an identicle thread about 2 weeks ago. My 2001 GS does the same thing. I originally thought it was the window but I am not so sure, it may be the hole door moving up and down. I borrowed an ultra-sonic listening device from work and stood outsdie the car with a tone generator inside the car to determine where the window seal was weak. I went around the seal with a probe and listened where the noise got the loudest and it remained constant. Remeber this was a static test not dynamic, when you are driving and air pressure in the car is different than outside. Next time you drive put your hand outside the window and put it between the window frame and roof and you will feel alot of movement. I may adjust my jamb clasp in a little, but mine does it infrequent.

My issue was finally resolved this week by replacing the window regulator and motor - the come together.