GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

air conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-04, 05:45 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default air conditioner

my air conditioner is blowing air out at 80 degrees, even though it is set for 65 degrees. it just started doing this yesterday.

my car is a 1999 gs400. i took it into the dealer this afternoon, to get the problem diagnosed.

does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong and how much it is going to cost me.

thanks
3dog

ps
i got an 2003 ES300 for a loaner. best feature is the freezing cold air conditioner. car is gutless, i am so glad i own a gs with 300 hp.
Old 04-29-04, 06:02 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I CAN THINK OF A FEW THINGS

Hello there,
Your problem could be as simple as a fuse (not likely) to a compressor. They will diagnose your system and eliminate things until they find the culprit. You said that you had indoor fans, but did you check to see if the compressor was engaged, or if the suction line was cold? That is the big stainless steel/rubber line coming up from the compressor on the drivers' side of the engine near the front of the car. This line should be "sweating" if it is warm outside, or at least "cold" when the compressor is running, and the system is fully charged with R-134 refrigerant.

You could have also lost all of your refrigerant..(punctured condenser up front by rocks ,ect, This would prevent the compressor from coming on at all.

I am just making a few suggestions. The digital display could be malfunctioning, and allowing the heater to operate at the same time as the A/C.

I guess we could speculate all night, but there is a lot to go wrong. Let's hope it is something simple, and not prohibitively expensive.

GSEREP1
Old 04-29-04, 06:54 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: I CAN THINK OF A FEW THINGS

Originally posted by gserep1
did you check to see if the compressor was engaged, or if the suction line was cold? That is the big stainless steel/rubber line coming up from the compressor on the drivers' side of the engine near the front of the car. This line should be "sweating" if it is warm outside, or at least "cold" when the compressor is running, and the system is fully charged with R-134 refrigerant.
GSEREP1
no i did not check any of this stuff. i never even popped the hood which makes me feel kinda dumb.

any idea what it would cost just to recharge it with R-134 refrigerant?

thanks for taking the time to answer.

3dog
Old 04-30-04, 07:37 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a sightglass in front of the radiator on the low pressure line to determine if the AC need R134A. The compressor must engage. Turn it on and look at the sightglass with a flashlight, if you see bubbles after the system stabilizes it needs a charge. If you have not worked on AC before than you will not understand this and I apologize for the suggestion.
Old 04-30-04, 04:42 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up refrigerant

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
There is a sightglass in front of the radiator on the low pressure line to determine if the AC need R134A. The compressor must engage. Turn it on and look at the sightglass with a flashlight, if you see bubbles after the system stabilizes it needs a charge. If you have not worked on AC before than you will not understand this and I apologize for the suggestion.
thanks for the answer. i've never worked on a/c but i'm going to go look for this.

i got the car back today. they said it had no refrigerant. they also could not find a leak. they said they would refill it for free if it leaks out.
they charged me $100 and i now have cold air blasting me once again.

i do think that the ES300 had colder air than my car. i was freezing cold with that on max.

but i'm more than happy with getting this straightened out for only $100.

i'm am so glad to be back in the GS400. it is so much better than the ES and not just horsepower. little things like the center arm rest is lots smaller, and the cup holders really suck, i also thought it was uncomfortable to rest my arm on the window sill, because it is higher than the GS my arm was going up at a steep angle. i also found myself driving much slower than in the GS, because of the lack of power. it was almost like having a cop in the car.

3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 04-30-04 at 04:47 PM.