GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Final phase of audio/video system. I NEED some ideas from my fellow CL friends!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-04, 09:11 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Final phase of audio/video system. I NEED some ideas from my fellow CL friends!

Okay guys, after being a spectator at the HIN show in San Mateo last weekend, I have came to the conclusion that my trunk setup needs either one or two monitors to compete with the big boys. So I'm asking all of you to share your thoughts.... Below is a current pic of my trunk setup which will have the monitor(s) in the trunk lid area. My idea was to have two custom fiberglass pods painted silver to match, which will hold the monitors. I would have the pods mounted in the middle of each blue suede insert. However, I think visually, it may look weird having 2 seperate monitors spaced apart so maybe one large monitor might be better. As you can see, I need your thoughts. A friend of mine also suggested I use to Flip Down monitors attached to the top of the lid..... I need your help guys.. Car will be going to the shop in 2 weeks... Thanks

Oh BTW: I will be installing a Xbox in the back seat with extra long cords so that people can play games using the monitors in the trunk...
Attached Thumbnails Final phase of audio/video system. I NEED some ideas from my fellow CL friends!-ken-s-car-047-r.jpg  
Old 04-29-04, 09:16 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Ken, I personally like the look of a larger screen across the trunk lid area. But of course, everyone has their own preference. Fiberglassing monitors onto the trunk-lid will be pretty labor-intensive, but if done properly, it'll look great. If not done properly...well, you've probably seen the setups that are poorly done. By the way, who will be doing the installation? Good luck on your install.
Old 04-29-04, 09:21 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Flip down monitors in the trunk would look ghetto!!!!!!!! I would have a fiberglass mold made to match the color of the car and have 2 -7" monitors "flush" mounted to the newly fiberglassed lid..I think that would set your car off....I am going to start a similar trunk lid project to my car to finish the trunk display in my gs in the next few months..Your system is amazing and by adding the monitors to the lid would only enhance the overall look of your system..Please don't just add to your current lid because it will stand out like a sore thumb..I feel that by doing the "glass" lid it will look as if your car came like that from the factory..Just my opinion...
Old 04-29-04, 09:32 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunklid

i would have to agree with johnee two 7" would set it off right imho it would have a cleaner look then flip downs by the way i like your trunk setup, do your seats match the color of your trunk ? just curious
Old 04-29-04, 09:33 PM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

Ken I'd go for the one big screen. If you want to get really crazy, try to see if you can integrate a plasma screen in there. Since they are wide screen you could get a decent size screen compared to the usual 15" LCD's. (If Jesse James can do a 40" in a Escalade, you can do a smaller one) Just a thought.
Old 04-29-04, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

make it like TJ's m3, two screens, one on each side, angled outwards, and with the xbox, make it like two people playing against each other. that's a winner setup man
Old 04-29-04, 10:18 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LS400
Ken, I personally like the look of a larger screen across the trunk lid area. But of course, everyone has their own preference. Fiberglassing monitors onto the trunk-lid will be pretty labor-intensive, but if done properly, it'll look great. If not done properly...well, you've probably seen the setups that are poorly done. By the way, who will be doing the installation? Good luck on your install.
Elim, the job will be done at my old stereo shop that once sponsored me years ago. They should be able to handle this type of job.
Old 04-29-04, 10:21 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
make it like TJ's m3, two screens, one on each side, angled outwards, and with the xbox, make it like two people playing against each other. that's a winner setup man
Yeah, I liked that setup alot. However, he used poor quality screens which made it difficult to view at different angles. I may go with a similar setup..
Old 04-30-04, 12:31 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

i was joking with RMMGS4 about this earlier, but forget car video gear...like lightwave76 said, put a 42" plasma molded into the rear deck...get the HD output box for the XBOX ...and go with wireless controllers...you would need some speakers back there in you integrated lid...go for a left, right and center channel to do something different. I don't remember if you're current setup has the 5.1 processor in it...but as you can see, my theme is "home theater in a trunk" so you might as well go crazy with it!
Old 04-30-04, 12:32 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for purposes of winning car shows especially HIN.... god i hate that show!!! but yea I think you should put your screens in each of your inserts angled to follow and match the lines of the inserts. I'm not much of a fan of this but for show purposes I think it'll definitely score you some points!!! goodluck! ride looks great btw!
Old 04-30-04, 05:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

LXO, you know if you wanted to move a 'step ahead' like the guys said put a 40" + plasma or LCD back there that folds down with a remote like the guys said above. You could then have a little carbon fiber picnic basket made for the hottest tailgate machine in the world.

Sorry, just a crazy idea here in the AM. Not enough coffee yet .

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-30-04 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-30-04, 06:53 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

lxo good when you doin this??? i am puttin 2 7" monitors and maybe one 10" in the middle of my trunk lid... it will done in about 3 weeks... if not the 10" in the middle... my installer will put his logo there. but def. the 2 out screens facin in.. thanks
rick
Old 04-30-04, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Yeah, I liked that setup alot. However, he used poor quality screens which made it difficult to view at different angles. I may go with a similar setup..
oh of course don't copy it, but instead make it even better! since the screens are relatively small, you can definitely get some better quality ones
Old 04-30-04, 07:39 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If money were no issue, I think that you should make a fibergalss panel to replace what you have there now. Then put the biggest screen you can fit in there...preferably a wide screen plasma....like I said, if money were no issue.
Old 04-30-04, 09:18 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What about that screen they had on "Pimp My Ride"? It was atleast 20 something inches and it had the ablity to play 2 sources on each half. Im sure it was alot cheaper han a Plasma screen too. Plus alot lot lighter. Has anyone tried to move one? Its not that light. You would need to replace what ever keeps the trunk up.

Last edited by GammaLex; 04-30-04 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Final phase of audio/video system. I NEED some ideas from my fellow CL friends!