GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hardwiring Valentine One Radar Detector in a GS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 01:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

same here, every time i get on the car, i put on the v1. every time i leave the car, i take it off.

and that's basically when i didn't get the remote unit, coz' i just put the radar in the most obvious location where i can see
Old 05-19-04, 06:12 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does everyone's V1 get REALLY REALLY REALLY HOT??? If I'm driving during a sunny day, the V1 gets VERY HOT!
Old 05-19-04, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Cadd
Does everyone's V1 get REALLY REALLY REALLY HOT??? If I'm driving during a sunny day, the V1 gets VERY HOT!
even driving at night makes it pretty hot, let along on a sunny day
Old 05-19-04, 11:41 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so you fellows that hardwired your V1....where do you leave your V1 to pickup the signals? I like the idea of hardwiring the remote display into the ashtray but where is the best place to leave the V1 in the car to pickup signals..... I dont want to hassle with putting it away and putting it up everytime i get in and out of the car. I need a good stationary place.
Old 05-20-04, 07:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

rmmgs4 put it at the top of teh rear windshield, i think that's pretty good place

for me, i put it right under the rear view mirror, but then i take it away all the time
Old 05-20-04, 08:00 AM
redgs400
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Visor

Originally posted by UptownGS
so you fellows that hardwired your V1....where do you leave your V1 to pickup the signals? I like the idea of hardwiring the remote display into the ashtray but where is the best place to leave the V1 in the car to pickup signals..... I dont want to hassle with putting it away and putting it up everytime i get in and out of the car. I need a good stationary place.
I prefer the sunvisor. It keeps it out of direct sunlight, and IMHO it's a bit more discreet than being stuck on the windshield because it's next to the kiddie mirror, which is next to the rearview mirror... In general the higher up you mount the unit, the better the "view" the detector's horns and laser sensors will have of your surroundings.

From looking around at other cars, it's a lot easier to spot the windshield-mounted detectors, and harder to pick out the sunvisor-mounted detectors--unless there's a cord hanging straight down from the detector--which I've seen. The A-pillar trim pops right off, facilitating installation of the straight cable. I also used beige flat four-wire telephone cord so it blends better with my ivory interior. Since the cord/plug inevitably breaks, I put an RJ-11 splice block above the sunvisor so that I can quickly and easily change the part of the cord that is most-likely to break. The splice block also helps keep the visor at the correct angle so the detector stays nearly-level.

The only downside: listening to my wife grumble because she can't use the passenger sunvisor...
Old 05-20-04, 08:06 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
for me, i put it right under the rear view mirror, but then i take it away all the time
I do the same thing.

These things are like eye candy. If you leave it in the car, you're just asking for someone to break your windows.
Old 05-20-04, 08:08 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

redgs400,

Why do you leave it on the passenger side? Doesn't it get annoying everytime you have to reach over to mute it when it beeps?
Old 05-20-04, 09:18 AM
redgs400
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Cadd
redgs400,

Why do you leave it on the passenger side? Doesn't it get annoying everytime you have to reach over to mute it when it beeps?
I did--except the new remote display unit, which I upgraded to when I upgraded the V1 to the latest revision, now has a mute button on it, so I just have to reach down to the ashtray-mounted remote display to mute the unit. It's a lot more discreet than reaching up and over as you noted.
Old 06-13-04, 10:01 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

For those that have the V1 all the way on top (above the rear view mirror), our GS comes with that blueish tint on the front windshield.

Does that tint affect the V1's ability to pick up signals? Once I have mine hardwired, I would like to mount it higher.

Also for those of you that have it all the way up (sun visor or anywhere above the rearview mirror), does it hinder rear detection?
Old 10-12-05, 11:57 AM
cmc5dc
Driver

Where can I get the direct wire tap in the second pic this orig. DIY...I tried rat shack and they don't have it

Last edited by cmc5dc; 10-12-05 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-12-05, 12:30 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by cmc5dc
Where can I get the direct wire tap in the second pic this orig. DIY...I tried rat shack and they don't have it
It's included with the V1. See? "direct-wire power adapter"

Way to bump my first thread...

Last edited by jonathancl; 10-12-05 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-12-05, 04:28 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

That's not what I had referred to. If you look at step #2, below is a pic of the DIY....I need the wire tap that is at the end of the red wire that taps into the maroon wire.
Old 10-31-05, 05:24 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need item:

Wiring Harness Connector
Item 20310

Same as included with V1.

third up from the bottom https://store.valentine1.com/store/d...gory=partsdept

-Pete
Old 01-09-09, 08:52 AM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stumbled across this thread, and the V1 remote detector in behind the clock display is SICK!! I live in Virginia, where radar detectors are illegal. I also drive in DC a lot, where they are ALSO illegal.

I have been considering a Valentine1 detector for a while, and hardwiring it behind the grill with their weatherproofing kit.

I can see that putting the remote display in place of the clock would work perfectly for me, especially with a hidden cutoff switch that would keep it from turning on in the event that my interior gets inspected.

Quick Reply: Hardwiring Valentine One Radar Detector in a GS430