GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Gs4 Is History

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 09:56 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MY GS4 IS HISTORY

Well,
Thanks to a crazy driver on the Coronado Bridge in San Diego, I lost my GS4 when I ran into the center retaining wall on the driver's side. There was a horrible crash, and the entire driver's side ground itself into the wall at about 60 mph. As you can imagine, there is not much left of that side. Amazingly, I escaped in one piece, only getting shook up in the crash. I climbed out through the sunroof. Opening a passenger door would have been instant death due to oncoming traffic.

I was so sure they would be able to repair it, but it was not to be. There were no cracked windshields or windows in any doors. Nor did any air bags deploy..(front or sides). The engine runs perfectly, as does the transmission. The left rear axle was completely broken, but not in the crash. The IDIOT wrecker driver did NOT put the car on a flatbed....instead, he towed it by the front end, and the already weak assembly snapped, causing the left wheel and tire to rub in the wheel well and destroy everything. I commented to the California Highway Patrol that I was upset about all the sparks I saw flying from underneath the car as it was towed away that night. I went by the next day to see the aftermath, and the insensitive creeps at the wrecking yard had already gone through the car looking for "souvenirs". They also marked the word "OUCH" in big letters across my windshield. I was pretty steamed, and hurt at the same time. Still feels funny not driving my car.

I found out from my insurance agent that they stopped counting at $22,000 in repair parts... no sense going any further. I find that odd, since the right side of the car does not have a scratch on it from front to rear. Parts must really be expensive. Labor had not been added to the equation. The agent explained that they also had to allow a certain amount of money to be used as backup funds in the event something in the repair went wrong, and something else broke after the repair. Everything inside the car is also perfect, and all accessories work. And there was NO loss of fluids of ANY kind on the highway. I really wanted it back, but maybe it is for the best after all. It would never be the same, I don't think...(no matter how hard I wanted it to be.)

This is an incredible car that gave its' ALL to save my life, and I will always be eternally grateful both to God and to the car for that.

I am just so emotionally drained. I don't now what to feel now. I put so much time and effort into that car to get it running top notch. Now it will be parted out to be used for parts of someone else's GS.

Financially, I am fine. I bought "gap insurance" so I will not be upside down in the deal. I will have plenty of cash to buy another car, but with my emotions like they are now, I am not sure if I WANT another GS at thispoint. I am sure I will want one later on, but I think I feel like everyone who has ever lost one of these cars for whatever reason. And I didn't spend what so many others have spent. I was basically stock, and the mods were just beginning. But I still spent a lot of money to get it where it was. Everything from mirrors to timing belt. water pump, thermostat, bearings, tranny cooler, full synthetics, and all the labor to do the work myself.

I will admit that it is pretty tough, and I am not in the best of spirits now, but I will persevere, I am sure.

Just a few of my thoughts right now! Sorry if I feel so down, but who said that life was always fair?

Later, and thanks for listening!

GSEREP1

Last edited by gserep1; 05-19-04 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-18-04, 10:11 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wow...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but sure am glad that you're okay.......automobiles can be replaced, lives can't!

-R-
Old 05-18-04, 10:12 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy Re: My Gs4 Is History

Originally posted by gserep1
This is an incredible car that gave its' ALL to save my life, and I will always be eternally grateful both to God and to the car for that.

I will admit that it is pretty tough, and I am not in the best of spirits now, but I will persevere, I am sure.

Just a few of my thoughts right now! Sorry if I feel so down, but who said that life was always fair?

Later, and thanks for listening!

GSEREP1
I am truly sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident, but I can see that you realize how blessed you are to walk away from it! Many people aren't as fortunate
I totally understand your feeling down right now; that is normal of course. But, you're absolutely right-life isn't always fair, but perseverance and making good choices always pays off in the long run. Sounds like you have both!
Take some time to relax and calm down etc. and start thinking about what you want to do next -slowly and rationally and you'll be just fine!!
Before you know it, you'll be getting excited about your next ride! Best wishes...
Old 05-18-04, 10:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about this! Glad you're OK.
Old 05-18-04, 10:30 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Default ALREADY THE SENTIMENTS ARE POURING IN!

Thanks Fellow GS owners..
You are the greatest guys and girls ever. When I was a prospective owner, I often read these pages, and I saw the compassion everyone felt for one another. Besides wanting one of these cars, seeing the comraderie among the members "sealed the deal". THANKS for making me feel a part. I certainly didn't want to lose my car in the process, but seeing first-hand that others share what I go through, TRULY helps.

There is definitely room in my heart for another GS. My wife is already trying to get me enthused about another one. She knows how I felt about that car...(secretly she loved to drive it alone.) She came back telling me what a great car it was. She doesn't want me to get anything else.

I think I will wait until the dust settles on this car, and jump headlong into a newer model (2000 instead of 1999). The prices have fallen somewhat, since the new car will be out soon. I still want a car with "e-shift" so I won't go into a GS430.

Already I feel my spirits lifting. I thought I wanted to see the old car again, but maybe it is better to just walk away. Strangely, when I went to take final pictures of it to post, my camera malfunctioned. I couldn't get a picture, no matter how hard I tried. Maybe it was for the best, because it would probably always haunt me.I want to remember it the way it was before the crash...I have plenty of pictures like that.
Thanks again!
GSEREP1
Old 05-18-04, 10:56 PM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

this happened on the coronado bridge? All that matters is that YOU are ok. The GS can always be replaced or rebuilt. Sorry to hear about your loss...
Old 05-18-04, 11:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man sorry to hear that that really sux man... at leat you are ok, that's the most important
Old 05-19-04, 05:46 AM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear about your accident. As others have said, thankfully you are here to tell the story.
Old 05-19-04, 05:53 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

good to hear you are fine

as far as the car , been there done that last april with my totalled silver bullet and i mean totalled but i got another black beast less then 30 days later and here i am again, part of the fun is taking the knowledge you have now and taking the next one to a higher and improved level

good luck
Old 05-19-04, 05:58 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

dude, screw the lex!! u r ok and that is what will always matter. sorry about the car but just try and get another one if u want. very happy 2 hear u made it out fine...
Old 05-19-04, 07:13 AM
kirby122
Pole Position

glad you're ok man!!!! like everyone said, a car is replaceable, but a life isn't.... take cares!

just curious, but what happened to the other driver that caused everything?
Old 05-19-04, 07:52 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience.

Just remember a car can be replaced, but life can not.

-Anthony
Old 05-19-04, 08:34 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Hi! thank God you are alive I am wondering why your side airbags didnt deploy?
Old 05-19-04, 11:29 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy wow

MAN! I always hate to read about someone's GS getting jacked up.
YOU were SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!
You or your LOVE ones were not hurt. Das the most important thing!!!
I lost my previous almost completely modded Y2KGS4 platinum Silver/blk. It really hurt to lose that car.
Keep your spirits UP Your furture GS will be that much better!!

Paul
Old 05-19-04, 12:57 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Default In Answer To Koreanpers Question

I believe that the side air bags deploy with a direct hit to the doors, such as a
T-bone" condition. That is why I was so sure the car could be rebuilt. I really didn't need for the bags to deploy in this situation. I hope they would have deployed if the need arose. There are so many choices of good GS4's out there now. Since the cars have depreciated somewhat in the last few months, I am sure they willdepreciate even more when the new 05 car comes out. I will be looking for a good 2000 model year car now.

Thanks again to everyone for your concern!
GSEREP1

Last edited by gserep1; 05-19-04 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: My Gs4 Is History