GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mercedes Style Side mirrors & Grill??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 10:42 AM
GSXtasy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mercedes Style Side mirrors & Grill??

Whats Up Everyone! I'm looking for mercedes style (LED) side mirrors & Grill for my GS400. Does any one know where to get them? Thanks Jeff
Old 05-27-04, 10:53 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ask Steve Ganz (SupraTRD) about the grill and I think the mercedes style side mirrors for LHD cars are all custom jobs.
Old 05-27-04, 11:45 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Richie
I would ask Steve Ganz (SupraTRD) about the grill and I think the mercedes style side mirrors for LHD cars are all custom jobs.
hahha
"Richie

10k posts and only one mod"

too funny
Old 05-27-04, 11:57 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by joshoowa
hahha
"Richie

10k posts and only one mod"

too funny
Thanks........I think.
Old 05-27-04, 12:10 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by Richie
Also if you do a search on the subject, there are plenty of information/opinions about the items/mods you are inquiring about! Good Luck and welcome to the forum

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 05-27-04 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-27-04, 12:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

right now in the market the tom's mirror is the closest you can get already. but the driver side need mods to make it fit perfect
Old 05-27-04, 01:45 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Welcome to CL

Ahhh FINALLY my chance to return the favor and post a pic from NEO's gallery before he can respond to this thread !

Here's a distant view of the TOM's mirror on his car. I helped him install these mirrors and mod them to fit better. Since they are only covers, it will look pretty crude if you don't fix the gap. Unless you have connections, the cost of the miror covers and labor to fit the mirrors, wire them up & paint, will run $400-500. Steve at Carson Toyota is one source for Tom's products.

Do a search and you can find where people have molded the Lexus factory mirrors to fit the Mercedes turn signals. The cost on this type of custom job can be even more than the Tom's option.

Here's a custom job I performed on my wife's IS. We were working to get them mass produced by a local company, but the cost was still suprisingly a lot of $$. Well what can I say, except that these aren't Honda parts !

More info about INDGOGRL's IS here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&highlight=is story&pagenumber=1

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-27-04 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-27-04, 04:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Welcome to CL

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Ahhh FINALLY my chance to return the favor and post a pic from NEO's gallery before he can respond to this thread !

Here's a distant view of the TOM's mirror on his car. I helped him install these mirrors and mod them to fit better. Since they are only covers, it will look pretty crude if you don't fix the gap. Unless you have connections, the cost of the miror covers and labor to fit the mirrors, wire them up & paint, will run $400-500. Steve at Carson Toyota is one source for Tom's products.

Do a search and you can find where people have molded the Lexus factory mirrors to fit the Mercedes turn signals. The cost on this type of custom job can be even more than the Tom's option.

Here's a custom job I performed on my wife's IS. We were working to get them mass produced by a local company, but the cost was still suprisingly a lot of $$. Well what can I say, except that these aren't Honda parts !

hey rmmgs4 i didn't know the cost of doing that is still too high.... that menas now it's back to our own diy?
Old 05-27-04, 06:28 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
right now in the market the tom's mirror is the closest you can get already. but the driver side need mods to make it fit perfect
So why doesn't TOMS fit well on US side mirrors? Are US side mirrors slightly different from JDM side mirrors? Is a direct swap of JDM side mirror on US GS possible? Are the mounting plates the same?
Old 05-27-04, 08:28 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PHML
So why doesn't TOMS fit well on US side mirrors? Are US side mirrors slightly different from JDM side mirrors? Is a direct swap of JDM side mirror on US GS possible? Are the mounting plates the same?
Well, if my guess is right, the US-spec mirrors and the JDM spec mirrors are "slanted" at different angles to prevent glare to the driver (since we both sit on opposite sides). I would assume that the US-spec mirrors are more LHD-centric, while the JDM-spec mirrors would be more RHD-centric.

My BMW is case in point. I ordered a set of M5 mirrors from Germany (which is LHD) and installed them on my 5 series (which is RHD). True enough, there's always a strong glare coming from the right mirror at night when there's a car coming up behind me, and the left side seems always a little too dim. And no, this cannot be fixed just by tilting the mirrors "away" from me. I think it's just the way the mirrors are "slanted".

If you look at the older E-series Benz (pre-round headlights period), you will also see that their mirrors are also slanted to be more "driver-centric".

Hope this helps. Now that I've said that, I am glad that I own a JDM car and living on the asia side, so I know I won't be having these problems.
Old 05-28-04, 12:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't know the details but that's the case, where the driver side you can see a gap when you put the mirror cover on
Old 05-28-04, 02:44 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Well, if my guess is right, the US-spec mirrors and the JDM spec mirrors are "slanted" at different angles to prevent glare to the driver (since we both sit on opposite sides). I would assume that the US-spec mirrors are more LHD-centric, while the JDM-spec mirrors would be more RHD-centric.

My BMW is case in point. I ordered a set of M5 mirrors from Germany (which is LHD) and installed them on my 5 series (which is RHD). True enough, there's always a strong glare coming from the right mirror at night when there's a car coming up behind me, and the left side seems always a little too dim. And no, this cannot be fixed just by tilting the mirrors "away" from me. I think it's just the way the mirrors are "slanted".

If you look at the older E-series Benz (pre-round headlights period), you will also see that their mirrors are also slanted to be more "driver-centric".

Hope this helps. Now that I've said that, I am glad that I own a JDM car and living on the asia side, so I know I won't be having these problems.
Jon...

Thanks for the info on the slant difference....besides the obvious LHD vs RHD ....but what about the shape of the housing (US vs. JDM stock)? height and width of the housing? shape of the mirror? Folding mechanism? Mounting plate type on the door? etc....? Are they slightly different (US vs JDM stock)?

Last edited by PHML; 05-28-04 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-28-04, 02:59 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Like this?
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Style Side mirrors & Grill??-aristo16benzstyle.jpg  
Old 05-28-04, 07:33 PM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

The mirror lights are sick...

Something i might have to look into a lil l8r
Old 05-28-04, 09:02 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Jon...

Thanks for the info on the slant difference....besides the obvious LHD vs RHD ....but what about the shape of the housing (US vs. JDM stock)? height and width of the housing? shape of the mirror? Folding mechanism? Mounting plate type on the door? etc....? Are they slightly different (US vs JDM stock)?
Well, Pete, like we talked over on MSN, due to the slant difference, I would assume that the overall shape of the housing themselves would be slightly different. Different enough to cause the "mysterious gap" on the driver's side housing.

The problem is we are just talking air right now because unless someone puts a USDM spec mirror and a JDM spec mirror side by side, I don't think we will be able to know the difference completely....

Quick Reply: Mercedes Style Side mirrors & Grill??