GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: iForged Aeros or Volk SF Challenge?
Custom Painted Volk SF
47.06%
High Polish iForged Aero
47.06%
Undecided.
5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

The Time Has Come...Help Me Choose.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 12:18 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Time Has Come...Help Me Choose.

Okay CL,

The time has come. I have deliberated for months and narrowed the choices down to these two rims.

19x8.5 | 19x9.5
Volk SF Challenge - Chrome Lip, Custom Painted Color Matched Spokes, Carbon Fiber VR Center.

or

19x8.5 | 19x9.5
iForged Aero's. High Polish.

I am 90% sure of the Volks. I will buy them in Bronze/Chrome Lip and have them painted. RMMGS4 is the pnly person that knew about my choices and plans so "Thanks Glen for keeping the secret!!"

I value you guys' opinion and would like to hear your reasons for each choice.

SF Challenge Cons: Special order from Japan will take a long time to deliver. Initial bronze color may not look good with the Champaigne.

iForged Cons: Everyone is getting them and polish is high maintenance.

Old 05-29-04, 12:44 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Time Has Come...Help Me Choose.

Originally posted by Darius2004
iForged Cons: Everyone is getting them and polish is high maintenance.
I dont think 2 people constitute EVERYONE . I would go for the iForged and if you dont want to worry about maintenance, then get them clearcoated. I like Volk, but think that style is a little too sporty for the GS
Old 05-29-04, 01:02 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

I have heard some pretty good arguments for both and now i am truly split 50-50

Last edited by TwentyTen; 05-29-04 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-29-04, 01:56 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

I agree with Dgot- Iforged.

Get the clear coat for less hassle with upkeep, shorter lead time for delivery, and in the worst case (I you bend or rash a lip) they are manufactured in the US, so repair and replacement is less of a hassle.

Doug
Old 05-29-04, 07:02 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

the real question is, if you decide to go with volks will you be getting the new 20" set?

Last edited by joshoowa; 05-29-04 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-29-04, 09:01 AM
3kTT
Driver School Candidate

I forged makes a good wheel. Volk makes a great wheel. The Volk series has the best attention to detail that I've seen from a wheel manuf this side of HRE,OZ, BBS, or Kinesis. I wouldn't worry about making your ride too "sporty" with a quality set of rims like Volk. Not trying to make your choice more difficult, but you might also want to check out the Volk SF Winning in 19s.
Old 05-29-04, 09:33 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Hey good point about the iForged being made in the US. I live int he Bay Area and the streets here have HUGE pot holes; some are as wide as 10". There's always some kind of construction so they lay those 3" thick metal covers down. I hit one at 60mph once!!

I will be getting 19's by choice, not 20s. I don't plan to add an aero kit and without it, 20s are too big, in my opinion of course.
Old 05-29-04, 09:44 AM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

I drove my GS around San Francisco with the SF-Challenges on and it never got bent once. I even let my girl drive the car and she doesn't really watch the potholes either. Those rims hold up really well.

How about some Junction Produce Scaras?
Old 05-29-04, 09:53 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Darius2004
Hey good point about the iForged being made in the US.
Darius, I wouldn't factor in the US proximity with regards to servicing damage. You know we are fortunate to have an excellent wheel shop that can repair damaged / bent rims. Most of the time you will not need to replace a rim half from being bent or curbed. They can just repair it. I will soon be posting a thread of how this shop brought my wheel back from being shot dead, literally !

Don't wanna get too off topic,so PM or call me to discuss further if you wish.
Old 05-30-04, 10:02 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Re: The Time Has Come...Help Me Choose.

Originally posted by DGOT20s
I dont think 2 people constitute EVERYONE . I would go for the iForged and if you dont want to worry about maintenance, then get them clearcoated. I like Volk, but think that style is a little too sporty for the GS
I'm going to agree with D about the Volks being too much of a sport look for a GS. I haven't had polished rims in a long time but I don't remember them being too much of a burden to keep clean. Maybe that's because I cleaned them at least twice a week with Dawn (after washing the car). When I polished them I didn't do it with the car wash. Do it when you have free time and more energy.
I guess that means I recommend the IForged, they're hot.
Old 05-30-04, 06:45 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

call me crazy but the rim looks great on the 2 350 Z cars up above, but I don't actually like it as much on the Lex. JMO.

Good luck you your choice man!
Old 05-31-04, 11:39 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BA_GS400
...the rim looks great on the 2 350 Z cars up above, but I don't actually like it as much on the Lex. JMO.
Thanks, unfiltered opinion is what I'm looking for. I would hate to find out that I was just infatuated with a style and threw away 3K. Some points that were brought to my attention that aren't listed on this thread are.

1: If/when you paint the car, you can paint the rims that color again.

2: From wife: "That paint is gonna get old really quick. "

3: I know how much you like to "bling and stunt" on other cars, you're not really going to do that with painted rims.

4: From wife: "You know that feeling you get when you shine the chrome pieces on the car, even the factory rims??? You're not going to get that with the Volks.

5: The advantage of getting polish is that you never have to worry about the chrome flaking, peeling, chipping, etc.

6: CoWorker: You wash your car so much you don't have to worry about the rims getting dull.

I have Maguires Quick Detailer that I spray and wipe on the car about 3 times a week. No exagerration.
Old 05-31-04, 11:49 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JunctionGS
I drove my GS around San Francisco with the SF-Challenges on and it never got bent once. I even let my girl drive the car and she doesn't really watch the potholes either. Those rims hold up really well.

How about some Junction Produce Scaras?
Thanks, I didn't know you had SF Challenges. Any photos? Wifey drives my car all the time but she knows how to look for potholes, how to pull in and out of the driveway etc. You have to train 'em! (Hope she doesn't read this)

PS - I like those Scara's!!!! But not this time around.
Old 05-31-04, 11:51 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

I have polished rims. The maitenance is not that bad at all. 5-10 minutes to polish rims is nothing for me.

If that is your main reason for possibly not getting the rims you want, forget it. Get the I-Forged without a doubt.

-Anthony
Old 05-31-04, 12:41 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default personally

flip a coin, and if it lands on one wheel, and your somehow debate getting that wheel choose the other...if not get the iforged.