GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The Big Dilemma--Wait for 2006GS or get 2005 Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 10:50 PM
CorplHIcks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Big Dilemma--Wait for 2006GS or get 2005 Acura RL

Any thoughts-- The Acura is coming in just a couple of months, sports all-wheel drive the SHAWD, 300 HP, etc.. Not sure what the new GS will give me over the RL.

Thanks
Old 05-30-04, 05:45 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Re: The Big Dilemma--Wait for 2006GS or get 2005 Acura RL

Originally posted by CorplHIcks
Any thoughts-- The Acura is coming in just a couple of months, sports all-wheel drive the SHAWD, 300 HP, etc.. Not sure what the new GS will give me over the RL.

Thanks
Even though I am not a big fan of the 2006 GS, I would certainly not buy a FWD RL. Other than that Acura in general plays in a different market than Lexus. Lexus is more upscale and if you have sat in the current GS - you will know that it exudes quality and more quality. I don't know that much about Acura, but there are lots of good reasons why Lexus is the #1 luxury brand in North America now.
Old 05-30-04, 09:43 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default acura or lexus

you could just say all wheel drive vs rear wheel drive. you will get different handling characterists with each. unless you live in the snow belt do you need all wheel drive. i myself love the way rear wheel drive goes around corners

you could also say excellent quality Lexus vs pretty high quality Accura. Lexus is much higher quality than Accura

in my opinion Lexus rules over Accura

Last edited by 3dog; 05-30-04 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-30-04, 10:08 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

GS is a better car overall..........
No comparison between RL & GS...........But the new M45 & the new GS430 will be a hard decision to make
Old 05-30-04, 10:55 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

i have always thought that the RL was a way to expensive Acura. I believe the RL does not sell to well because of its price 45k +. my family has owned 2 acuras in the past and all i can say from my experience is that the: tranny kicks hard over time even with schedule maintenance, ride gets worst over time (i believe the suspension get shot pretty quick), craftmanship feels i dont want to say cheap but hmm lower than lexus quality.

Last edited by joshoowa; 05-30-04 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-30-04, 12:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The Acura is a nice car in that particular class yet it is not at the same level as a Lexus. Stick with the Lex.
Old 05-30-04, 07:57 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Lexus all the way!!!
Old 05-30-04, 08:37 PM
4double0
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait for the new GS
Old 05-30-04, 09:23 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HHEhehe, I think he's just asking for a reaffirmation to wait for the new GS, since he's asking this to a bunch of GS fanatics in a GS thread in a Lexus forum....

Maybe if he went over to the Acura forums and asked the same question he would get a very different reply.....
Old 05-31-04, 10:23 AM
2kwiq
Rookie

here's your deciding factor. if the new acura is going to be made in the usa (like the new TLs), you can leave it totally out of the equation. they are having quality issues already, i think it's well documented in the forums.

if they are shipping them over like the TSX and RSX, then i will have offered nothing to this discussion thread.
Old 05-31-04, 12:45 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

A few dissenting opinions...

First, the U.S.-made Acuras are excellent (I own one and it has been every bit as rock-solid as my Lexus in the reliability and fit-and-finish departments). The RL has always been made in Japan, though, which I would expect to continue for the new model.

I disagree with joshoowa that the RL has always been a too-overpriced Acura. In my opinion it is one of the biggest automotive bargains on the road today! Sit in one or take it for a test drive--the design and execution in even the current model is pretty much at Lexus standards. My only complaint was lack of power, which it sounds like will be corrected in the 2005. Add in all the other techno-goodies and the aggressive looks, and this new RL indeed sounds like a winner. Some people can't get over the "a sedan needs to have RWD" thing, but for the 99% of us who don't take our cars to the track it is a complete non-issue.

Finally, the 2006 GS promises to also be an amazing machine. The look is questionable to some people, but looks are subjective. The press release also stated that only the 6-cylinder will be offered with AWD. Only you can judge whether it is worth waiting another year versus having the Acura sooner.

Why not buy the RL, see what you think of it, and then trade it in for a 2006 GS if you want to? Sure, you'll take a financial hit but that is one way to have your cake and eat it too.
Old 05-31-04, 02:14 PM
psukhu
Rookie

Engineering: Both are great cars.

Social: I think the Lexus brand has more prestige.
Old 06-01-04, 04:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally posted by Iceman
Some people can't get over the "a sedan needs to have RWD" thing, but for the 99% of us who don't take our cars to the track it is a complete non-issue.
I am curious to know how Acura has gotten rid of Torque steer in this FWD car..............

Why is Torque Steer a non issue to you? Do you drive it very slow off the line ALL the time? Just curious, not saying there is anything wrong with that.
Old 06-01-04, 06:11 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

My FWD CL "only" has 200 HP and torque steer is practically nonexistant. In any car I've ever owned I accelerate hard--it's just the way I drive (damn gas prices... ).

I test-drove a TL Type-S a couple of years ago (when considering it instead of the GS I ended up getting) and again didn't notice much torque steer at all. That was a 260 HP car.

The new RL is said to have 300 HP, but the press release I read said that Acura is using a modified version of the Active Torque Transfer System that premiered on the Prelude Type-SH to keep torque steer in check.
Old 06-01-04, 11:53 AM
JDZ25
Driver

Personally, I would wait.

Your only talking a few months between the two cars being released, and besides, Lexus might have a few tricks up there sleeve for the new GS before it is released.

Quick Reply: The Big Dilemma--Wait for 2006GS or get 2005 Acura RL