GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Squeaky noise from the timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-04, 12:42 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by jonathancl
What is the expected life of the serpentine belt?

I'm at 3 years, 33k and have what i think is the same rpm-related noise.
If the squeak is coming from the serpentine belt, you may very well have that problem. Also, very unlikely, but depending on your GS (whether V6 or V8), you may have a couple of idler pulleys that might be leaking, and could potentially be causing the squeak (check to see if fluid is coming out of any of the pulleys).
Old 06-01-04, 01:40 PM
chrisleX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any special tool for that operation - serpentine belt replacement ? thx.
Old 06-02-04, 11:20 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally posted by chrisleX
any special tool for that operation - serpentine belt replacement ? thx.
only if you consider a wrench special.
Old 06-02-04, 11:24 AM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

I my GS3 experienced a same problem. Replacing the belt fixed the problem.
Old 06-03-04, 06:39 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gentleman / Ladies the belt sould not whine, squeek period. I just had mine replaced under warranty at 25K miles. Initially the dealer squirted belt dressing, I told him to stick that used car lot trick up his a$$. He then proceeded to drive the car back to service and put a new belt on. I am sure they did not clean the pulleys of the goop but that is life. I have had cars in excess of 150K miles with the original belt and never made a sound. If I had to pay for the belt I would not buy a Lexus / Toyota belt. You ask why, they already had one chance it did not perform so why not give another manufacturer a chance, it cannot get any worse. You can pick up aftermarket replacements for about $20. Put on a Goodyear gatorback and in about 180K miles you may have to change it because it broke not because it slipped. That is what is causing the noise is the belt slipping.
Old 06-15-04, 03:22 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So....which would the rest of you guyz pic.....Lexus part or other manufacturer part?
Old 06-15-04, 05:15 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

You can first try with Lexus dealership.

I just got mine replaced as a warranty item, no charge at all.

I had a RX before with the same problem and it was also replaced under warranty.

Good luck
Old 06-15-04, 06:24 PM
Manny818
Driver School Candidate

is this a noise that goes away after the car is warmed up for a while for you guys? i have the same squeeking noise in my gs300 but it goes away after a while and i am curious if its the serpentine belt
Old 06-15-04, 06:57 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

yah....when cold..it squeaks/chips like crazy. After it warms up...it may quiet down a bit. Temporarily, I shot some belt dressing, but it helped for a few days...then I got louder than before. Im down to try the Goodyear Gatorback V-Belt. Anyone hear bad things about it?
Old 06-16-04, 06:39 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Numerous companies make aftermarket belts. In my opinion there is no risk in using an aftermarket belt. The absolute worse case scenerio is you are where you are at now. There is a blurp in the owners manual that states that the accesory belt may be noisy in humind environments at start-up, but should quit down after it warms up. This is what mine was doing, I live in Houston. There is no reason for any accesory belt to squek at anytime. This is 2004, GM has been using these belts succefully since 1985. I believe Lexus may have changed there belt material, there is a TSB on the LS430 stating they changed the material, I can only assume they would change the GS300 belt material also.
Old 06-16-04, 07:01 AM
Packet88
Rookie

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
Numerous companies make aftermarket belts. In my opinion there is no risk in using an aftermarket belt. The absolute worse case scenerio is you are where you are at now. There is a blurp in the owners manual that states that the accesory belt may be noisy in humind environments at start-up, but should quit down after it warms up. This is what mine was doing, I live in Houston. There is no reason for any accesory belt to squek at anytime. This is 2004, GM has been using these belts succefully since 1985. I believe Lexus may have changed there belt material, there is a TSB on the LS430 stating they changed the material, I can only assume they would change the GS300 belt material also.
I've got a '99 GS3 and I assume the salt/crap weather here in Chicago has slowly worn my serpentine belt. I've noticed in humid weather (80% of the weather here), my belt squeaks like a dying bird!

Another question on changing the belt. Other than changing the Serpentine belt, are there any other changes that should be performed??? Or that the dealer would perform while changing a serpentine belt?

Thx for your feedback!

Ches
99 GS300
Old 06-16-04, 08:32 AM
chrisleX
Pole Position

the dealer just replaced the serpentine belt - under warranty - no more noise now ! no more dying birds !
Old 06-16-04, 10:47 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

No other changes, it is easier to change than changing a tire.
Old 06-16-04, 10:55 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

GSEREP1 is absolutely correct. The Goodyear Gatorback V-Belt is the BEST belt on the market, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. It also slips less than most any belt, and is supposed to be quieter...though in a Lexus I doubt you'll hear the difference in sound between one belt or the other...
Old 06-16-04, 11:22 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by RRocket
GSEREP1 is absolutely correct. The Goodyear Gatorback V-Belt is the BEST belt on the market, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. It also slips less than most any belt, and is supposed to be quieter...though in a Lexus I doubt you'll hear the difference in sound between one belt or the other...
RRocket....u got them Gatorback V-Belts on your GS? So far so good?

Quick Reply: Squeaky noise from the timing belt