GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Squeaky noise from the timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-04, 01:14 PM
chrisleX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky noise from the timing belt

High pitch / squeaky noise from the belts - applied some belt dressing with silicon, the noise stopped - but just for 5 minutes ... Any solution ? The car is still under warranty - 43K miles ! THX
Old 05-31-04, 01:29 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DO YOU MEAN THE SERPENTINE BELT??

Hi there,
I think you mean the serpentine belt. That is the visible belt when looking at the engine. The timing belt is not visible, unless you disassemble the front of the engine.

Spraying belt conditioner is just a temporary fix, and it will be short-lived...as you found out. The belt is probably worn out, and should be replaced when you hear the noise.....to me there is no other solution. The belt grooves are probably glazed. It is a 2000 GS4 if I read your post right, so it should be about that time to change it anyway.

Belts are not normally a warranty item, because it is a wear and tear item. Check with your Lexus dealership. I don't think they will replace that under customer satisfaction. The belt costs about $73.00 at some dealerships, and less at others. Contact a Toyota dealership...their parts are generally 10 to 20% cheaper than Lexus for the EXACT same part. Contact Carson Toyota to see what they can do. By the way, the Goodyear Gatorback belt is an excellent replacement for the stock belt. It is cheaper, and has the same quality.

I am sure you will find a suitable solution.
GSEREP1

Last edited by gserep1; 06-01-04 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-31-04, 01:38 PM
chrisleX
Pole Position

yes, it's the serpentine belt ! if this belt is worn out, does it mean that the other belts are in bad shape,too ?
Old 05-31-04, 01:41 PM
whatuusay1
Driver

Yup deffinetally the Serpenine belt... I just had mine replaced because of the same thing. While some of you recommend going to a lex or toy dealer I took mine to an independent dealer (i have 90k miles and not under warrenty) i got the whole thing done for 80 bucks... so dont pay 70 for a belt, they only run 30 bucks from any auto store. 30 + 1hr labor = 80 bucks. Easy fix and you'll love the peace and quiet after its fixed.

Andrew
Old 05-31-04, 03:15 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SERPENTINE BELT CONNECTS ALL ACCESSORIES

Hello,
On the GS4, one serpentine belt runs all the accessories...including power steering, A/C, fan, crank & tensioner.

I agree with the previous post that the belt does not have to be a Toyota belt. Please clean all the belt dressing from the grooves before putting on the new belt.

GSEREP1
Old 05-31-04, 03:29 PM
chrisleX
Pole Position

ok, thx for your help ! i'll call the dealer tomorrow - maybe it's covered under warranty !!!!!!
Old 05-31-04, 07:23 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Change the belt yourself. . . (easy!)

You could easily change the serpentine belt yourself. It's rather easy--seriously.

Check out this post with some pertinent info:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=109469
Old 05-31-04, 07:37 PM
chrisleX
Pole Position

HOW TO REMOVE GENERATOR DRIVE BELT
Loosen the belt tension by turning the drive belt tensioner counterclockwise, and remove the dive belt.
HINT: The tensioner pulley bolt has a left–hand thread

OK, GREAT INFO ! BUT ... after i install the new belt - should i turn the drive belt tensioner clockwise or just start the engine and it will adjust by itself - self adjusting ? thx.
Old 05-31-04, 07:47 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=120569
Old 05-31-04, 08:05 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Serpentine belt has got to be the easiest things to change on a car... seriously, its easier than changing a fuse. if you know where to release the tension, and remember the bends, itll take you 10 min.
Old 05-31-04, 11:52 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally posted by chrisleX
OK, GREAT INFO ! BUT ... after i install the new belt - should i turn the drive belt tensioner clockwise or just start the engine and it will adjust by itself - self adjusting ? thx.
GS400/GS430 V8 serpentine belt removal

OK, let me restate the process--to remove the old GS400 serpentine belt, first, loosen the belt tension (by turning the belt tensioner counterclockwise and holding it there) then remove the old belt. Put in the new belt (keeping in mind how the belt threads to all of the accessory pulleys), and then turn the belt tensioner counterclockwise (and hold it there temporarily) to get the new belt onto the tensioner. Once the new belt is on the tensioner, you can release it to go back to it resting point. As it's an "autotensioner", you don't have to do anything else once you release it back to the resting point.

The pic below is of the GS400 serpentine belt path.
Attached Thumbnails Squeaky noise from the timing belt-drive-belt.jpg  

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 05-31-04 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-31-04, 11:58 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Default GS300 serpentine belt removal

GS300 V6 serpentine belt removal

Similar instructions as above for the GS400, but for the V6 GS300, loosen the belt tension by turning the drive belt tensioner clockwise, and remove the drive belt.

See the following pulley schematic for the GS300.
Attached Thumbnails Squeaky noise from the timing belt-drive-belt-gs300.jpg  
Old 06-01-04, 01:12 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seattle....

Damn dude...this is great info....thanx for posting it up. Looks like another weekend project. Any pics on re-connecting and tightening?

I was experiencing the same dang squeaky noise lately....I got 38K on my car.

Pete
Old 06-01-04, 11:33 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

What is the expected life of the serpentine belt?

I'm at 3 years, 33k and have what i think is the same rpm-related noise.
Old 06-01-04, 12:38 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally posted by PHML
Seattle....

Damn dude...this is great info....thanx for posting it up. Looks like another weekend project. Any pics on re-connecting and tightening?

I was experiencing the same dang squeaky noise lately....I got 38K on my car.

Pete
Pete:

No pics, but the above diagrams should help you out. The tensioner is much like a recoiling spring that twists--that is, if you twist it a certain way, it will loosen it, and if you let go, it will resume it's default configuration.

Twist the tensioner to loosen it (different directions for the V6 (clockwise) and V8 (counterclockwise) models) and hold it there while you remove or replace the serpentine belt. Once the belt is removed or replaced properly, then you can release the twist to the tensioner. You don't need to tension the new belt at all, as it's an "autotensioning" unit.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 06-01-04 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Squeaky noise from the timing belt