GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus Dealer Woes... Price on service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 09:21 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Dealer Woes... Price on service?

I am currently @ 58K miles and went to the Lexus dealer to get a quote on the 60k mile service. They quoted over a thousand dollars. What the h*ll do they do that cost THAT much money?

On top of that, I ordered a rear seat belt guide that was only $16.00 but when the guy came out to look at the car, he tried to give me crap about changing out the lights. Why does Lexus care?

I told him that the fog lights get foggy when I wash the car and he told me ONE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY cost !1300.00 and that there is no way to disassemble and reseal it.

I think they're taking advantage and would like to find a list of what's included in the service and a good shop in the Bay Area, if possible, that I can go to for half the price.

Thanks CL!
Old 06-03-04, 09:34 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

off topic...wow what a *****, i have one of those type guys at my local lexus shop i hate talking to him. in my case the dude is a sevice advisor "fill in", when my actually advisor is gone he fills in for him. i always make sure my actual advisor is there i hate talk to the other dude he doesnt know crap and loves to go through all that red tape.
Old 06-03-04, 10:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there are always people like that. you just gotta be persistent and know what you are doing and what you need. some dealership they charge a lot for 60k and 90k service coz' they throw in a lot of stuff that's not even needed. plus imho, i never go to dealership with my heavily modded car for service. they usually scratch one thing or the other anyway....
Old 06-03-04, 10:13 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I never go to the Lexus dealership unless it is for oem parts. hehe

My mechanic is the only one who I trust and is very unbiased. Last time I said I needed a oil change and he said, no you don't. Come back next month. heheh

Bryan
Old 06-03-04, 10:29 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Darius,
60k service by the dealer is not worth it. Take it to a reputable shop that is experienced with Lexus.

A ton of us local CL members have been taking our cars for service at a well known bay area shop for years and they have modded a lot of our cars as well.

If you post the question asking for a local shop in the NorCal section I'm sure you'll get an answer where to go and why they do a better service than the dealer .

Better yet ,do a search specifically in the NorCal forums for "service".

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-03-04 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 10:31 AM
portcityplaya
Driver

I took my GS to a Toyota dealership and got everything done for like $400 bucks. As far as the headlight condensation issue. I had that problem twice and both times the dealership replaced it free under warranty. It is a know problem and if you search the site you will see it is a very common problem. Check with another dealer ship if you can. They should not be charging you for a condensation problem. That is a manufacturer defect. If worse comes to worse call the Lexus customer service number and get them involved. If you are out of warranty you may have a problem. You can always check ebay for your a headlight assembly. I see them there all the time.

Last edited by portcityplaya; 06-03-04 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 11:14 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by portcityplaya
You can always check ebay for your a headlight assembly. I see them there all the time.
not to jack this thread, but those lights on eBay are all used and they dont garauntee you that there is no condensation problem... you may end up buying a set of garbage headlights... dont forget, you get what you pay for!!!!
Old 06-03-04, 11:49 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

I was quoted 1200 by my dealer also. Did I pay 1200? NO!

If you ask for a print out of everything they are planning on doing, you can cross off almost half the things are lower your price to at least 600-700. I was down to 500 and was still unhappy with paying that much but took it and got what I needed done.

-Anthony
Old 06-03-04, 04:25 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys. I'm glad I'm not the only person that got jacked around by the dealer.

Glen: I'll do that search and see if I can get to the place you guys get your cars done.

Aristo: I'm jealous!

Captain: Thanks for the advice, I'll go talk to the Dealer for that printout tomorrow!then go to RMMGS4's shop to get the work done.

PCPlaya: I'll check Toyota too but I think Toyota in this area is going to say "You have Lexus - You Pay Lexus PRICE!"

Varcity I was thinking of buying my tail lights on eBay. I was looking for the 98-99 lights with a clear stripe to hold me over until I get the cash for JP Tails.

RominL: Thanks for the reminder. Also, I notice a new scratch on my car every couple of days!!!! Have you guys ever used those AutoPaint pens???

Last edited by TwentyTen; 06-03-04 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 05:00 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

Good luck with the Toyota dealership. I hadn't considered them until my wife took her 4runner in for service. They saw the Lexus key on her key ring and told her that their mechanics are lexus certified and they can do maintenance and repairs on Lexus models. I have no complaints. Call the toyota dealership they may suprise you.
Old 06-03-04, 05:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Darius2004
Thanks Guys. I'm glad I'm not the only person that got jacked around by the dealer.

Glen: I'll do that search and see if I can get to the place you guys get your cars done.

Aristo: I'm jealous!

Captain: Thanks for the advice, I'll go talk to the Dealer for that printout tomorrow!then go to RMMGS4's shop to get the work done.

PCPlaya: I'll check Toyota too but I think Toyota in this area is going to say "You have Lexus - You Pay Lexus PRICE!"

Varcity I was thinking of buying my tail lights on eBay. I was looking for the 98-99 lights with a clear stripe to hold me over until I get the cash for JP Tails.

RominL: Thanks for the reminder. Also, I notice a new scratch on my car every couple of days!!!! Have you guys ever used those AutoPaint pens???
i have the autovisual pen for both my gs and my is3 but i have never tried it before. what kind of scratches do you have? deep, light? am i right that you are in norcal? maybe if we meet up i can take a look and see if i can remove them relatively cheap
Old 06-03-04, 05:39 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Darius2004

Darius,

im sure you are aware of the fact that you can clear the tail light out yourself... there has been a few DIY's on that here on CL, and it is also on BananaGS web-page... give it a try if you really like that euro look and save urself about $250 and put it toward the JP tail fund OR you can toss me a few dollars LOL...

BananaGS's site

i hope he doesnt me putting his site there

Last edited by varcity64; 06-03-04 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 05:49 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by portcityplaya
Good luck with the Toyota dealership. I hadn't considered them until my wife took her 4runner in for service. They saw the Lexus key on her key ring and told her that their mechanics are lexus certified and they can do maintenance and repairs on Lexus models. I have no complaints. Call the toyota dealership they may suprise you.
During the summer of 2003, when I was getting parts, I once inquired at a Toyota dealership (Seattle area) if they'd service/do routine maintenance my GS400--short answer, "no."

They informed me that I have a Lexus car, and only Lexus can service it. At the time, I headed over from the parts department to the service department to inquire about an advertised transmission flush for $89 all cars. I thought that doing an ATF flush was pretty much the same routine for most cars (regardless of the make/model). Of course, I had just got my used '99 GS400 and wanted it flushed, but they said my GS4 used "special fluids" for the AT, and it would contaminate their flushing machines. At the time, I was thinking that was interesting, but a later date, further looking into the situation revealed this--the GS4 uses Toyota T-IV ATF, and older Toyotas specified Toyota T-I or T-II ATF, but of course, I found out that T-IV ATF is the replacement fluid for T-I and T-II (according to a TSIB on June 19, 1998). I don't know what was the deal was, but either the Toyota service manager was flat out lying or that he wasn't so knowledgeable about it. Come to think about it now, I was buying the T-IV ATF from that same Toyota dealer that refused to flush my GS400's ATF, why couldn't they change it?. . . Regardless, I haven't been back to that dealership now that I've found about Carson Toyota and a couple of other internet retailers for my parts needs. . .

But then I found this website and Lexus GS service repair manual, and I've never had to take my car into the dealer for service/maintenance that I could do myself (and at a significant savings).

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 06-03-04 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 06:07 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

I think the reason they did my car is because their mechanics are Lexus certified. All toyota techs aren't so I guess that's why they had no problem doing it.
Old 06-03-04, 07:05 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought my Lexus dealership charges a lot of money for 60K service until my colleague told me about his MB dealership chages $200 more than Lexus for 60K service on his CLK430. $1,000 sounds a little high for 60K service for a GS.

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer Woes... Price on service?