GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

NO E-Shift???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 12:25 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it wasnt wrecked. Cause i have been looking FOREVER for the one i want. and i finaly found a very clean 1 for a very good price.

Last edited by LsportGS4; 06-11-04 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-11-04, 04:50 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1st of the price on the car is very good....too good to almost think that there must be something wrong with it.
Why would you replace the E-shift for a wood wheel? But than again that is what they did on the new 430.

On the description the car says rebuild. I would check and see the title. One scenario that could of possibly played out here is the car was involved in a accident, airbags went off. To replace the airbags would cost as much as a new steering wheel. He could just got a new wood wheel with airbag from a older LS. My lexus parts manager had 4 of these types of wheels lying around in his office. He was kind enough to even let me borrow one for 3 weeks when I sent my GS400 wheel w/e-shift too get customized with wood from american stiches.
Just be carefull and pay a mechanic to have it checked out. The last thing you need is a CL member buying a GS that is all screwed up.
Old 06-11-04, 08:23 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Called guy again. and he told me it had a rebuilt title....

Hes asking 19 for it now...

I am so pissed
Old 06-11-04, 08:35 AM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

its not a surprise, it says in his description that is a rebuild. nice car but aren't we all glad we can tell the difference between our cars so very quickly
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...&ac_afflt=none
Old 06-11-04, 08:47 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

How bad is it to have a rebuilt title? At first i was like hell no im not buying it. But it looks so clean and im sure i could talk him down very low.

But im still worried about it (of corse i would have lexus check it out).

But what do you think im looking at here....

Is it as bad as i think it is? Even if it gets all checked out?
Old 06-11-04, 08:48 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and he said he has both steering wheels.

He said he bought this one cause it had wood on it. But the old one he said has the E-shift on it...
Old 06-11-04, 09:00 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dude ChoppinLex

i won't even bother with this car man. rebuilt could mean salvage, which means it was once totalled. even at that price, i won't even touch it. this guy to me seems like he has taken this car apart or something. i don't mean to make you sound desperate or something, but you can find better. i know you've been looking for a long time already, but the best things come to those who wait. heck, i was looking for almost a year before i finally found my gs. if you still decide to get this gs, best of luck to you and hope it won't give you any problems in the future.
Old 06-11-04, 09:36 AM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

QuickLex is rite,
when it is Rebuilt it was salvaged then was inspected to be in 'Good' condition. when a car is hit it is never the same, If this man took off the steering wheel must mean the Airbag went off and he got that one cheap(triangle wheels are more Expensive $$$). so i wouldn't take it if i was you. you get a good deal on it now but doesn't mean you wont spend even more money tryin to fix it. GoodLuck hope you make the right decision. always trust first instinct, you want the car so your trying to find a reason to justify buying it. Just dont.

Last edited by abboushi; 06-11-04 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-11-04, 09:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Don’t take the temptation man, it’s not worth it at all. Rebuilt means the car has a salvage title, meaning that the car was in a accident to certain level of repair. Most likely there are frame damage and the list goes on. Never ever let the cosmetic of the car fools you, it can be super clean and beautiful, but when you drive it you can have very bad alignment, rattles, squeak, noise, etc….

Bottom line, forget it
Old 06-11-04, 10:40 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with everyone else on this one choppinlex....although you may think you are getting a great deal on a GS, it might not be so great later on...who knows how much damage this car has been in...wouldnt it suck to find out when you start to mod it that there was frame damage? or missing screws...or things that dont line up to well? You are just asking for trouble by buying this vehicle......and with a rebuilt title...who knows if that engine is even the same engine that it was born with...yeah he shows a picture of the mileage but is it true to the car and the engine?

there are just too many questions being asked on this car and that should raise a red flag to not buy it....we want you in a GS, just not this one.....patience pays off...
Old 06-11-04, 10:47 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I would pass on it as well. Keep this in mind. It's not so much the price you pay, but the asset you receive. Sure $19,500 sounds like a great deal, but unless you're paying cash for the car, it's just a monthly payment. Also, what's this car going to be worth in 5 years versus a car that you paid $7k or $8k more. I would bet that the non-salvaged car would retain its value much better. I think you could do better. This is most likely not the car for you.
Old 06-11-04, 11:22 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys. Im deff going to pass it up and keep searching. Hopefully i will find my car...
Old 06-11-04, 11:25 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I went today and looked at a 2000 GS4 and it was ragged out... I'm getting so fustrated...

I'm almost at the point where im gunna just get me a 2002 IS300... Even tho GS is what i want...

Im going to be car-less in about a week (sold my car)...

Old 06-11-04, 11:33 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

go to cafax and run the vin, i think it's like $15. It may tell you about any accidents.
Old 06-11-04, 11:37 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Also, something about that price don't sound right...did you test drive this car yet? The price is too good, and you know what that means.

By the way it took me 6 months to find my car...

Quick Reply: NO E-Shift???