GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

V-Kool Installed (light tint)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 11:16 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Good question about removing the old tint. I would like to know if Jawnthen had a problem with this as well.
Old 06-12-04, 11:20 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll answer for Jawnthen on removing the rear tint. He didn't do it, because taking off the rear film is quite troublesome, with all the defroster lines. You stand a good chance of breaking the some lines when removing tint. The shop could do it, but it will be costly. There are repair kits if the defroster lines get broken, but it's still a messy proposition.

Guess this is a good reason to get your rear window tinted right the first time, using quality materials that won't bubble or turn purple over time. Jawnthen didn't have much control in his case, since he bought the car with the tint pre-installed.

Lightwave76, you touched on a seriously hot mod that Jawnthen and I were discussing with Auto Mall Tint Factory.

YES ! Tinting the front window with clear v-cool would have a great effect on keeping the inside of any car cool. The front window has more heat penetration then the side wndows and the affect of heat on the dash area is obvious.

Yeah people have tinted front windshields before, but unless the tint was dark, it wouldn't help much and of course that leads to other serious problems.. Now with the advent of v-cool, that's all changed.

I' m sure "one of us" is gonna try this soon !
Old 06-12-04, 07:02 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4
I'll answer for Jawnthen on removing the rear tint. He didn't do it, because taking off the rear film is quite troublesome, with all the defroster lines. You stand a good chance of breaking the some lines when removing tint. The shop could do it, but it will be costly. There are repair kits if the defroster lines get broken, but it's still a messy proposition.

Guess this is a good reason to get your rear window tinted right the first time, using quality materials that won't bubble or turn purple over time. Jawnthen didn't have much control in his case, since he bought the car with the tint pre-installed.

Lightwave76, you touched on a seriously hot mod that Jawnthen and I were discussing with Auto Mall Tint Factory.

YES ! Tinting the front window with clear v-cool would have a great effect on keeping the inside of any car cool. The front window has more heat penetration then the side wndows and the affect of heat on the dash area is obvious.

Yeah people have tinted front windshields before, but unless the tint was dark, it wouldn't help much and of course that leads to other serious problems.. Now with the advent of v-cool, that's all changed.

I' m sure "one of us" is gonna try this soon !
Ya, I'm thinking about getting V-kool installed on the front window as well when I go for tinting.
Old 06-12-04, 09:07 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lightwave76
I was sitting on the fence whether I should do my front windows when I tint the rest of my car, but jawnthen v-kool install changed my mind. I wonder if it would be worth getting it all around just for the cooling properties. Bay area during the summer can get really hot...

Chris
Hey Chris, I have the clear film installed on my front windshield. It seriously reduces A LOT of heat coming into the car. Unlike other films which need to be darker in order to reflect away heat, the V-Kool clear film allows you to deflect away most heat (I saw examples of 70% reduction in heat!!!) while still retaining crystal clear view of the roads ahead.

On top of that, the platinum version allows you to use lower opacity (instead of the usual limo tint, which is illegal in most states) while still keeping prying eyes away from your car. It's especially important in countries like mine where a stop at the redlight usually means a whole new drama unfolding (street musicians, beggars, small children, lunatics, and the occasional car jackers! ).
Old 06-13-04, 05:01 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

This V-Kool stuff sounds very good indeed!

Now I need to find a local dealer up here in Toronto to install it on my front windshield...............
Old 06-14-04, 10:20 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

thanks glen for replying...i'm in the middle of finals week and have been up all night, but mondays are always good to browse CL and take a break.

the V-Kool is awesome and having on the front doors makes me want to have it on the windshield as well. Sid at the tint shop did mention he was thinking about doing it on his Mercedes S430 but his only caution is that he did a clear film before on the front (don't think it was V-Kool) but the film distorted the image from inside the cabin so he took it off after a couple of days.

jtanoyo1, do you have any problems with the clear film on your windshield? Any blurry lines or distortion?

Oh and the V-K0ol on my car is 70% and they matched it with a 35% charcoal on the rear. The rear windshield was measured at 20% but it is fading. I'm getting away with it cuz of the black accents I have back threre. I don't think Automall Tint Factory carries any other % of V-Kool.

alright I gotta get back to finishing my projects...
Old 06-16-04, 05:27 PM
kaidoy021
Driver School Candidate

Glen recommended me the Tint factory and they did a great job on my car. I got the exact same tint % as Maricar's car. I believe Sidney installed Suntek HP Charcoal on my car. They do great work!! Ask for Sidney or Stanley.

Good Luck,
Patrick
Old 06-16-04, 05:44 PM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

did i mention that it keeps it kool inside? You guys over here in nor cal know how hot its been the last few days. It seriously gets too cold inside the car when I have the AC cooler than this...
Attached Thumbnails V-Kool Installed (light tint)-v_kooled.jpg  

Last edited by jawnthen; 06-16-04 at 05:44 PM.