GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP!!! New lights/sounds from cluster???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04 | 05:03 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Default HELP!!! New lights/sounds from cluster???!!!

ok, for the first time today my car had new lights come on. I noticed them when I first purchased the car, but never thought much about them. I have two red lights, one under each turn signal indicator that now light up during startup. Also, a clear light (lights up yellow) on the lower righthand of the cluster bezzle (sp?). They never illuminated before today, and when I start the car it sounds like some sort of radar detector. Anyone else have these lights? I'm going out right now to do some exploratory surgery and see if I have something aftermarket..... PIC below any help very appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails HELP!!! New lights/sounds from cluster???!!!-cluster.jpg  
Old 06-17-04 | 05:16 PM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

haha thats funny

No idea what that is. my 98 deff doesnt have ANY of that

maybe embedded radar detec or something
Old 06-17-04 | 05:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

that's defintely not factory man.... very hard to say what they are... but they look like some good install though
Old 06-17-04 | 05:44 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

OK, well now that I know it isn't factory, I also have a **** towards the bottom of the drivers area to the right of the center vent. I took the panel down, and its definately aftermarket (though excellent wiring harness cleanliness) but the wires all dissappear behind the nav unit. I guess I'm gonna see if it is a radar detector next (by driving my cops, lol) and hopefully I can get some use out of whatever the previous owner installed!!

OK UPDATE!!!

Well, looks like my car came with one of the cleanest hidden radar installs I've ever seen! ( I do car audio/video for a living, lol). The **** towards the floor (which looks VERY factory) is the on/off/volume switch. The reason I didn't know what it did before is that it turns on and off in a unusual way. The base turns to switch on and off, and the outter **** is volume. Definately sounds like a radar, looks like a radar, and well, they have installed it so well, without tearing the whole drivers side apart, I can't tell what brand or where its mounted. All the harnesses just dissppear behind/up from the floor. I pulled the stereo/navi/climate controls out and nothing behind there at all, not even one aftermarket zip tie. So, thanks everyone for helping me find what I should have already known!!!
Old 06-17-04 | 05:53 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

hey...where's the actual unit that scans for radar/laser? Is it installed in the grill?
Old 06-17-04 | 06:15 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

OK, even more update!!

I followed all the wires from the ****/led's and found a box mounted just behind the grill in the front as well as another box in the rear of the car!! Now, if I only knew which detector I have!!! Both boxes are black and about 3 inches by 4 inches and maybe an inch tall. They have three ridges on each side, but have no model numbers or manufacturer (maybe removed at install?). I can take pics of these boxes if anyone thinks they can tell me who makes it.
Old 06-17-04 | 08:18 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Those are the lights for th K40 radar detector/ laser diffuser. the yellow one is the status light to let you know its working, the two red lights mean to slow the f down, you are bing pinged. thats a 1200 unit. usually the detectorts are installed either on the bottom of the grille, or as a cool front liscence plate frame (for those wierd states) and around as a rear liscense plate frame, or even on the rear deck. How do i know all this... I used to install them on BMWs, VWs, Audi, and Hummers at the dealer i used to work at. Best one out there, but its too much $$$. wish i was still working at the dealer. I bought the one for my camry for $400. they retail for just shy or at $1200 installed. I just got the V1 and called it a day for the GS.

if i were you, i would leave them exactly where they were mounted... they have to be in a certain spot for them to garruntee the laser diffuser. (K40 will pay for the ticket if mounted in the reccmmended location)

K40 Radar/ Laser Diffuser

Last edited by Stage3; 06-17-04 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-17-04 | 08:30 PM
Neo
The One

Wow. What a nice surprise. You thought you had problems only for it to turn out you had something really cool. Congrats.

Either that or this is your creative way of showing off your new install.

Last edited by Neo; 06-17-04 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-17-04 | 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

wow damn, that's a freaking nice surprise find man, awesome! so you got a 1200 bucks unit for free? gosh! what can i say! definitely test it out man, it's going to be one of the best mod!
Old 06-17-04 | 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by Stage3
Those are the lights for th K40 radar detector/ laser diffuser. the yellow one is the status light to let you know its working, the two red lights mean to slow the f down, you are bing pinged. thats a 1200 unit. usually the detectorts are installed either on the bottom of the grille, or as a cool front liscence plate frame (for those wierd states) and around as a rear liscense plate frame, or even on the rear deck. How do i know all this... I used to install them on BMWs, VWs, Audi, and Hummers at the dealer i used to work at. Best one out there, but its too much $$$. wish i was still working at the dealer. I bought the one for my camry for $400. they retail for just shy or at $1200 installed. I just got the V1 and called it a day for the GS.

if i were you, i would leave them exactly where they were mounted... they have to be in a certain spot for them to garruntee the laser diffuser. (K40 will pay for the ticket if mounted in the reccmmended location)
btw, are you saying it's a laser jammer too?
Old 06-17-04 | 09:27 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Immunity from laser speeding tickets.
We'll pay the cost of your fine for any laser speeding tickets you get for one year after purchase.
Does the jammer include Lidar diffusion? If so, I might get one...

http://www.k40.com/Products/Radar/LaserDefuserPlus.html

It's only 300 for the defuser plus...
Old 06-17-04 | 10:09 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Well, what can I say!

I knew by the install it was not a cheap unit, but what a good suprise!

Thanks for helping me find my good fortune CL

I'll be using it shortly, I'll be posting results!
Old 06-17-04 | 10:10 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
btw, are you saying it's a laser jammer too?
diffuser... almost the same way that stealth technology works. It takes the laser signal and bounces it away from your car. Jammers just send out an error message to the gun. Thats how they know you have a jammer. The diffuser just pushes the signal away making it as if the sight was off on the gun. Its crazy stuff to think you can put stealth tech on your own car. I would but it again, but im not paying 1200 for it. at least not yet...

Last edited by Stage3; 06-17-04 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-17-04 | 10:14 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Does the jammer include Lidar diffusion? If so, I might get one...

http://www.k40.com/Products/Radar/LaserDefuserPlus.html

It's only 300 for the defuser plus...
the diffuser you can add on to your existing radar, although i never got a chance to install it this way. usally you have to hard wire it to the unit so it can alert you when its recieving a laser signal. The other part is just a regular radar detector, as laser jammers are illegal EVERYWHERE. but yes, you can buy the diffusers seperate, i dont exactly how that works on the garruntee, but im pretty sure if you mount it where it supposed to be, you wont have a problem.

Last edited by Stage3; 06-17-04 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-17-04 | 10:17 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally posted by GS3InPhx
Well, what can I say!

I knew by the install it was not a cheap unit, but what a good suprise!

Thanks for helping me find my good fortune CL

I'll be using it shortly, I'll be posting results!
best way to test if its still working is to ask a cop friend to run it on you. they have a really low faliure rate, so its still probably working, but if this is the first time youve heard it on many start ups it could be that the brain could have a malfunction, or it just wasnt wired right. looks like a pro installed it from the way the lights are in. Hope it turns out for the best, because those things are rare, and work REALLY well. dont get too over confident though... thats how you end up busted.

Last edited by Stage3; 06-17-04 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! New lights/sounds from cluster???!!!