GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dyno Results!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-04, 04:54 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dyno Results!!

So I took the car over to Batlground today to get dyno tuned and the SAFC2 dialed in right. The initial run proved the car to be running rich with a max power output at 332.6hp. After a dozen or so runs Dan at Batlground was able to dial in the SAFC the best of his ability with a max output of 349.3hp and 302.6lb/torq...He said that we probably could have gotten a few more hp out of the car but with it being hot outside and the SC getting hot from the multiple runs those were the best numbers we were going to get today. I was happy overall, but wondered why I wasn't getting the 358-365hp #'s that I've been seeing on other guys SC GS4's on the forum. What could be making the differences? So the question was- what can I do conservatively to safely increase the hp a little more. Well, Dan said I could definitely replace the exhaust system to get more power, right now it's just the HKS Hypers on the back. Also replacing the pulleys on the SC with smaller ones, which John had sent smaller Vortech pulleys with the car that he didn't get around to installing. Dan had also suggested I could add a alcohol mist sprayer? that would really allow the system to handle a lot more boost- he said probably upwards 400+ hp? What do you guys think? But he did say it would just be more "stuff" to worry about managing and that a cat-back exhaust system and smaller pulleys would be enough for what I seem to be after. So there it is! Now I'm ready for you guys to comment!

PS- I recorded the runs with my digital camcorder, if I can figure out how to post the vids (maybe someone can walk me through it) I'd be more than happy to do so! The car sounded AWESOME!!
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Results!!-cnv0026.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.G; 06-18-04 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-18-04, 04:55 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Default The Dyno Sheet...

Here's the printout guys...
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Results!!-cnv0027.jpg  
Old 06-18-04, 05:19 PM
LexFather

Dude, we are having a meet right now. About 5 min from Batlground. Sizzling SELOC nights. You need to come out! The Starbucks on Piedmont rd (in front the Kroger) across from Copelands.

Great DYNO graph. Dan and co. knows their stuff. I've dyno'd my GS there before.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-18-04 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-18-04, 05:58 PM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

Fredo I will have to email you my DYNO results..I only acheived 332HP but my torque was at almost 400. I will scan my DYNO run on Monday and email to you. It might help Dan out with getting more torque out of the vehicle....also if you want better HP numbers throught the pullies I sent you on and you will be well on your way to above 350-360 range.

The car looks great and you'll soon see my next beast ...now go show all the other CL Members down there what the car has ...
Old 06-18-04, 08:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

damn, talk about power, very nice man! not sure how to improve the power though, considering i am still far from having FI
Old 06-18-04, 08:06 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dyno Results!!

Originally posted by agflex
So I took the car over to Batlground today to get dyno tuned and the SAFC2 dialed in right. The initial run proved the car to be running rich with a max power output at 332.6hp. After a dozen or so runs Dan at Batlground was able to dial in the SAFC the best of his ability with a max output of 349.3hp and 302.6lb/torq...He said that we probably could have gotten a few more hp out of the car but with it being hot outside and the SC getting hot from the multiple runs those were the best numbers we were going to get today. I was happy overall, but wondered why I wasn't getting the 358-365hp #'s that I've been seeing on other guys SC GS4's on the forum. What could be making the differences? So the question was- what can I do conservatively to safely increase the hp a little more. Well, Dan said I could definitely replace the exhaust system to get more power, right now it's just the HKS Hypers on the back. Also replacing the pulleys on the SC with smaller ones, which John had sent smaller Vortech pulleys with the car that he didn't get around to installing. Dan had also suggested I could add a alcohol mist sprayer? that would really allow the system to handle a lot more boost- he said probably upwards 400+ hp? What do you guys think? But he did say it would just be more "stuff" to worry about managing and that a cat-back exhaust system and smaller pulleys would be enough for what I seem to be after. So there it is! Now I'm ready for you guys to comment!

PS- I recorded the runs with my digital camcorder, if I can figure out how to post the vids (maybe someone can walk me through it) I'd be more than happy to do so! The car sounded AWESOME!!
Wow wasting no time at all, nice pic.

VID VID VID VID VID

Last edited by LOTC; 06-19-04 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-18-04, 08:24 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Lookin great as usual!

Keep us updated... and I agree, vids!!
Old 06-18-04, 09:52 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Question discrepancy (sp) in tq.

could pullies bump the tq a 100lbs?? amazing if thats true.
Old 06-18-04, 11:39 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

good stuff... makes me want to maybe seriously consider adding the sc to my shopping list. who knows...
Old 06-19-04, 08:03 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That ride is definitely sweet and I only WISH I had one as nice!

Don't ya hate when you think you've posted a reply, but you must've gotten distracted, or not clicked on the update button or something? I hate that!

Forgive my ignorance about the car setup, but, I thought I read that the only exhaust mod was the mufflers.
If that's true, then the SC could be forcing a lot of air in that is hard for the engine to push out.

New catalytic converters would be easy to change and that smallish Y-pipe could be better to accomodate the SC. Extrude Honing the manifolds is for the 'more serious' effort, assuming stock exhaust manifolds.

Is there a boost gauge in the car?

Either way, have fun man, we're all jealous!
Old 06-19-04, 10:46 PM
klynchgs4
Driver

agflex, i'm running the rmm s/c with the 3.12 pulley. my boost guage only hits a max of 6.5 right now. last time i dynoed the car it was 351 hp and 302 ft/lbs of torque. this was at xs-engineering in huntington beach, ca. i've been told my rmm that they (rmm) have dynoed cars on one dyno and then gone to xs and xs puts out more conservative numbers (possibly more accurate). i think you're ok.
Old 06-20-04, 02:09 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

klynchgs4- that's the same pulley that's on my SC right now as well, so I guess it's good to know that there's good consistency regarding it's output.

BA_GS400- to answer your ?'s...As of now there is no boost gauge in the car, I guess I'll have to give John a hard time about that . But Dan at batlground did suggest getting one in installed. In regards to the exhaust mods- yes, the only mod is at the cans. So I know I want to go with a more free flowing set-up to disperse all that extra air.

Does Greddy offer a cat-back set-up for the 2nd gen GS? or anyother manuf. for that matter? Or is this more of a custom setup that I would need to have fabricated. I had the Greddy MX system on my 97sc300 and really liked it- performance and sound. I would be a little concerned though about an obtrusively loud exhaust setup.

Any suggestions on exhaust guys?
Old 06-20-04, 07:02 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

It's tough to find one, at least in my surfing...

You might be right about GReddy.....check this out>>> clicky
Old 06-21-04, 07:42 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

In one of the other threads here, someone has a pic of all the mods they have waiting for the car, sitting in the corner of a room.

One of those pics has a "Carson Tuned Exhaust" and there's a Y-pipe shown there.

I wonder what the pipe diameters are? If it's more than stock, it's a nice looking piece worth considering.
Old 06-21-04, 10:41 PM
klynchgs4
Driver

pipe diameter on the carson tuned exhaust is 2 1/2"

Quick Reply: Dyno Results!!