GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

love this widebody

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-04, 06:15 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default widebody

Not really a fan of any type of widebodies...except this one. Straight up show car.
Hey, I see a nice sc in the background of one of the pics. Very nice from what I can see.
Old 06-24-04, 06:22 PM
jucee187
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice car but ....he had all that money to do all that but he couldnt afford bigger rotors??.. haha..
Old 06-24-04, 06:37 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by brendanlim
My favorite of the pics

Car's looking sick!
well i like the first pix more, but this brings me to my question...how did your photoshoot go?
Old 06-24-04, 06:57 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the radiused wheel flares look totally wrong for the car- the GS has beautiful and subtle boxed-style fender flares from the factory (reminiscent of the Porsche 944, but more 'soft' and toned-down)- I would have used this approach as a model, just more exaggerated. The reality is the radiused flare is the easy way out because it is easier to blend into the door, especially the rear door. To me, it looks like a flare on top of a flare...

Also, the lack of chrome trom on the sides and bumpers and the elimination of the lower body panels makes the car look cheap, more like an Accord.

While I'm at it, the wheels need less offset to fill the flares better (isn't that the reason for flares in the first place- wider wheels and more "lip"?). With this regular GS-offset wheel, the wheels look way too 'tucked' relative to the top of the flare (granted, I am hyper-critical of this detail, being in the wheel business). If you move the wheels out it is problematic because only the top of the fender is flared and the lower sides and side skirts are not, causing the tire to stick out at the bottom and throw debris all over the sides of the car.

Don't get me wrong, I am not hating- just giving a perspective from a designer's eye. It's a good idea, but certainly a compromise. At the end of the day the car is a show vehicle, and it was designed and built to get attention. It does an admirable job of that, to be sure.

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 06-24-04 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-24-04, 07:09 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Did you guys notice the CF lip spoiler in the second pic. that's just sick man.... Reminds me of some of the M3's I see at the shows..
I know you dont like VIS ken, or maybe even Importfan....but you can buy those from their "universal parts" category...i think their called "diffusers"
Old 06-24-04, 07:46 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Default I'm sorry

That car is just plain sick the paint alone makes it tops in my book I'm loving it no chrome sides and all
Old 06-24-04, 07:51 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

car is obviously sick..
however i do not like the missing chrome moldings.. also i see socal's point on the wheels/fenders.. being they are iforged wheels he could have got the correct sizes.. the rest of the car is absolutely sick.. i love the partially painted CF hood.. (this next on my list to come in JULY/AUGUST).. this car is nice but made a few mistakes on chrome and wheels in MY MIND but just my .02 cents
rick
Old 06-24-04, 07:58 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

He never had the wheels custom made for his car. They were on his brothers green gray GS and he gave them to him. Im sure if he had the rims new the lips would be way bigger. I like the car. He took a chance at being different. its like on some with a black GS black out all the chrome trim even on the windows. Its a pure show car. All its missing is the 4 door lambo kit.
Old 06-24-04, 08:09 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

oh i see. they were hand-me-downs.. iforged aeros.. man i wish i had some hand-me-downs like this.. but i dont like the crhome missiing still.. howevery he has a mod'd explosion front bumper.. looks really good.. i like the extr acurves in the front lip of it.. very subtle and nice.. i dont know but the rear looks like a win kit that is molded in.. looks really really good.. i just wish he had to chrome trim. i am a big fan of chrome.. but im sure lambo doors and flip flop trunk lid will come for his GS soon.. lol.. being a body man and all im sure he can do this.
rick
Old 06-24-04, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by jucee187
nice car but ....he had all that money to do all that but he couldnt afford bigger rotors??.. haha..
haha well, i am sure the body job already used up a lot of dough
Old 06-24-04, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
I think the radiused wheel flares look totally wrong for the car- the GS has beautiful and subtle boxed-style fender flares from the factory (reminiscent of the Porsche 944, but more 'soft' and toned-down)- I would have used this approach as a model, just more exaggerated. The reality is the radiused flare is the easy way out because it is easier to blend into the door, especially the rear door. To me, it looks like a flare on top of a flare...

Also, the lack of chrome trom on the sides and bumpers and the elimination of the lower body panels makes the car look cheap, more like an Accord.

While I'm at it, the wheels need less offset to fill the flares better (isn't that the reason for flares in the first place- wider wheels and more "lip"?). With this regular GS-offset wheel, the wheels look way too 'tucked' relative to the top of the flare (granted, I am hyper-critical of this detail, being in the wheel business). If you move the wheels out it is problematic because only the top of the fender is flared and the lower sides and side skirts are not, causing the tire to stick out at the bottom and throw debris all over the sides of the car.

Don't get me wrong, I am not hating- just giving a perspective from a designer's eye. It's a good idea, but certainly a compromise. At the end of the day the car is a show vehicle, and it was designed and built to get attention. It does an admirable job of that, to be sure.
i totally agree with you bob. like i said in earlier post the lack of teh chrome trim makes it look very weird

and yes, definitely the offset of the wheels are off. i kinda wonder if the flares are real or fake (on top of old one)?
Old 06-24-04, 10:03 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you guys notice the seats in Gucci material in the photo with the model?

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 06-24-04 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-24-04, 10:27 PM
LexFather

Me no like. What Bob said basically. Fender Flares are a cheap car designers dream. They make cars look wider and more agresive (which is needed since cars are taller than ever) and totally interupt a cars lines. If ya'll noticed about 7=8 years ago, concept cars started having these huge fender flares. Now EVER car has them just about. Even Benz will use next styling go-round. Fender Flares also appeal to the eye as SUVs have them. Cars are becoming more SUV like. Huge, ungainly grills. Huge fender flares. Cars are too tall. That is why so many new cars are so damn ugly.
Worse, Fender Flares make a car NEED HUGE wheels. Like the Mustang, Audi A4, etc etc. Huge fender flares make wheels look tiny.

The car is not bad to me, just not my cup of tea.
Old 06-24-04, 10:49 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SoCalSC4

Wow Bob totally took the words right out of my mouth. I don't think "circular fender flares" look right on Lexus GS'es since there's really nothing circular about our fenders. We are a more toned-down box-like fenders and we should work on that original design to increase fender well size, instead of creating a whole new flare on top of the old design. It looks too much like stick-on afterthought. The wheels are also not deep dish enough, feels as though like we slap on some 17x7 on our standard aristo.....

But man, A++++ for the effort and amount of work that went into it.
Old 06-25-04, 12:28 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm ignoring the rest and just enjoying that FMIC

must.... have.... 4 row :-)

Quick Reply: love this widebody