GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Crystal White owners step in

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-04, 06:51 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crystal White owners step in

After coming to the conclusion that I have crystal white instead of what I thought was pearl white, I figured I'd ask this question to the fellow crystal white owners to set my mind at ease.

I have a 2000 GS400 and notice that the bottom white is a different color than the top porton, almost a purer white as opposed to the top being 1)metallic-pearlized 2) milkier in color.

I am sure the car hasn't been hit as it really shows no previous signs of paintwork and turned up clean on carfax.

So my question is, are the other crystal white owners seeing this two tone paint, am I losing it and this isn't the case or have I already lost it?

Thanx a bunch guys
Old 07-07-04, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Dude this has been discussed plenty of times(Search). Basically the bottom platic yellows and Lexus has to re-paint under warrenty.
Not sure how many miles u have left or if you have an extended warrenty but tell the dealer. There is a TSB for the problem, they are aware of it.
Old 07-08-04, 03:48 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

bro, I did search...

1) my car isn't pearl white, at least it shouldn't be because its a 2000 and it seems the problem is related to pre-2000's

2) my bottom half isn't yellowing, if anything the top portion of the car is (bottom is MUCH whiter)

3) I have 38k on the car now, and got an extended warranty (non-lexus) through the dealer I bought it from

I wanted to know if I was alone, or should the car in fact be two separate colors
Old 07-08-04, 07:17 AM
GoldMember
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I recognize you from maxima.org, i had no clue you sold the max and got a gs400. I will be doing the same here also. How do you like the crystal white? I'm debating on buying a silver, black or white. I'm leaning more towards Silver with frost interior. Also what is the difference in crystal white and pearl white?

Kevin
Old 07-08-04, 08:49 AM
LexFather

Well Crystal white replaced the pearl as the pearl did have the yellow issue. I know, I had my pearl white repainted by the dealer (took about a week).
I thought Crystal white came in 01, so it came in 2000.

I am not sure if there is a TSB for Crystal white. But if it is yellow, Lexus would have to paint it.

Goldmember, both colors have flakes in the paint.
Crystal is more pure, like snow white.
Pearl white has more of a golden hue and changes colors some in/out the sunlight.
The GS is pearl. The RX is another off-white color Lexus offers. It's called Golden Pearl or somthign like that.
Attached Thumbnails Crystal White owners step in-rxandgs.jpg  
Old 07-08-04, 08:51 AM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=93388

This is a 200 page thread with tons of pearl/crystal GS pics.

We call is PDW. The color for Lexus owners. All other colors bow-down.
Old 07-08-04, 08:53 AM
LexFather

This is Crystal White. You can see how much whiter it is.
Attached Thumbnails Crystal White owners step in-front.jpg  
Old 07-08-04, 09:32 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GoldMember
Hey I recognize you from maxima.org, i had no clue you sold the max and got a gs400. I will be doing the same here also. How do you like the crystal white? I'm debating on buying a silver, black or white. I'm leaning more towards Silver with frost interior. Also what is the difference in crystal white and pearl white?

Kevin
yeah bro...with 14k on the odo and the SECOND tranny slipping, I said screw it and cut my losses while the car still has SOME value left.

I miss the insane power that the max had, but the GS4 is a beast on the highway, gas mileage is about the same and the ride is incredible.

totally OT, but Sickle, what do you recommend in so far as struts/springs....my maxima was SLAMMED on JIC coilovers and I hated the ride with a passion, way tooo stiff on any setting

I was thinking along the lines of the L-tuned setup, for a subtle yet somewhat aggressive drop
Old 07-08-04, 02:03 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Since you picked it up used, the previous owner may have had the lower panels painted due to yellowing (although less prevalent on Crystal, I'm sure its still possible)

As far as the drop goes, threre are lots of options for the GS, you can get some TEIN CS coilovers and it will ride nice with a low drop. I have Tein HA's which are stiffer, my ride is fine for where I live (MA), but I dont think I could drive at this height on HAs in Bklyn every day! LOL When I cruise around in Bk, I feel like I'm beating up on my car! LOL

Since your in the city I vote for Tein CS, if you were slammed on JICs before, then the Ltuned drop is not going to cut it for you.
Old 07-08-04, 02:04 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
yeah bro...with 14k on the odo and the SECOND tranny slipping, I said screw it and cut my losses while the car still has SOME value left.

I miss the insane power that the max had, but the GS4 is a beast on the highway, gas mileage is about the same and the ride is incredible.

totally OT, but Sickle, what do you recommend in so far as struts/springs....my maxima was SLAMMED on JIC coilovers and I hated the ride with a passion, way tooo stiff on any setting

I was thinking along the lines of the L-tuned setup, for a subtle yet somewhat aggressive drop
I had espelir springs/L-tuned shocks. Almost a 2"inch drop (L-tuned shocks are 1") but the spring rate was the same as stock so no ride compromise. I loved it.

If you have the dough, it seems people are NUTS over the Tein Coilovers with the EDFC. Highly recommended.
Old 07-08-04, 03:41 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Since you picked it up used, the previous owner may have had the lower panels painted due to yellowing (although less prevalent on Crystal, I'm sure its still possible)

As far as the drop goes, threre are lots of options for the GS, you can get some TEIN CS coilovers and it will ride nice with a low drop. I have Tein HA's which are stiffer, my ride is fine for where I live (MA), but I dont think I could drive at this height on HAs in Bklyn every day! LOL When I cruise around in Bk, I feel like I'm beating up on my car! LOL

Since your in the city I vote for Tein CS, if you were slammed on JICs before, then the Ltuned drop is not going to cut it for you.
bro, that occured to me (previous owner painted them) but the top portion of the car is a milkier white and metallic, whereas the bottom portion seems to be a flat bright white. Maybe the guy had it painted two tone.....I really don't know

When I bought the car, the paint had no metallized flake showing. I went over the car with a coat of Klasse AIO and then followed up with two coats of Klasse SG, and the paint sparkles now, but also it is visibly two different shades

As far as the drop goes, I went for the JICs because:

1) bought them off a friend for cheap (wrecked his maxima)

2) was told they were as soft as stock (biggest understatement of the year-next to calling Christina Aguilera a nice school girl )

3) liked that pimp slammed look

I regretted getting them 100000%, mainly because of the NYC roads (not even talking BK-I'm talking Queens) and as the same as you, I felt I was killing my car slowly

athough I must admit, bro you are a trooper to drive a car slammed on coilovers with 20's around NYC, thats real guts-nevermind the survivor series

I think I'm going to get the L-tuned as I wanna keep this car comfy, yet rock the lowered look

thanx guys, you are great!
Old 07-08-04, 04:46 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

yeah man, its a pain, but I just drive carefully, the main BK streets are okay (Bushwick Ave, Pennsylvania Ave, yadda yadda), its those side streets, and that damn Flatbush Ave!!!

I think in the city, as soon as you pass a certain height it gets rough. I never realized how bad the roads were until I moved to MA 2 yrs ago. As soon as I hit the Whitestone bridge, i'm like "here we go" LOL

I can say one thing, these are some STRONG wheels , I have hit some whoppers (with cheese) and they have no bends or cracks.

Ltuned is fine, as long as you dont mind the gap, check out bitkahuna (older pics), Lexis11, and koreanpers for examples of Ltuned on 18, 19 and 20" wheels.

good luck
Old 07-08-04, 04:47 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Paint

Oh yeah it sounds to me like the previous owner had the bottom resprayed and the shop used the wrong paint code.
Old 07-08-04, 06:09 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Paint

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Oh yeah it sounds to me like the previous owner had the bottom resprayed and the shop used the wrong paint code.
word...Im leanin towards that theory also, because the front and rear bumpers are proper, and metallic but the side panels from front wheel well to the rear is flat white. I'll have my body shop go over it, it has some stupid typical BK nicks in the doors anyway (car came from Prospect Place )

the stock gap doesn't bother me, believe it or not. My maxima's stock gap killed me-damn near a WHOLE FIST up front

I just want a lil less floaty, and mainly also because i got that front end clunking and I figure I'm due for new mounts and struts anyways (car has 38k on it)

DG, if you are ever in NY again, please hit me up, I would love to meet up and drool over your beast
Old 07-08-04, 06:44 PM
LexFather

DG, if you are ever in NY again, please hit me up, I would love to meet up and drool over your beast
How much drool would u have when u attend this?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=123146

DG and some others hooked it up.

Quick Reply: Crystal White owners step in