GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Maxima owner looking at GS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 01:39 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BlaXXXima
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies and insights. Yeah, I'm already pretty sold on the car, but I like to hear what other people have to say about it (kinda like my own personal JD Power survey).

I agree that Max guys and GS owners have a lot in common - we want the best in class with luxury and some power, and most Max guys tend to want RWD vehicles. Never having driven an RWD car, I am curious, and although I get snow where I live, don't think it will be a problem.

Shabby - congrats on the upgrade. You're still loved on the .ORG. hehehe Hope you are enjoying your new car What have you done to it, if anything?

I'm probably going to be looking at a GS400 with around 70-100Kms on it (40-60K miles), so I don't know what maintenance costs would be at that point.

Either way - beautiful ride. Not many around where I am (Nova Scotia, ex-Ontario guy), so the pickings are slim. I am going to have to buy out of province I'm sure.

Anyways, you guys seem cool, so I'm sure if I do go the GS route, I'll fit right in. Thanks again for the input, and feel free to continue to pass along tips / pointers.

Oh, and you don't have to sell me with hot looking GS's... I've been drooling over that car since it came out.

Mike
Mike, snow tires + RWD ownz joo and every FWD POS out there

So far I have thrown my 6000k Ultinons in there, along with all the other PIAA upgrades. Car came with light tint and I bought super sticky Conti ExtremeContacts

Looking to purchase a suspension for it currently

good luck and post pix!
Old 07-09-04, 02:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I am 6'5, 240, it fits like a glove.
damn you are too tall. 5'7" 150lb here, i don't think i need to talk about my "fitment" in the car

and my wife, she's 5' and 90lb she's a scene when driving the car, NO ONE, and i mean NO ONE, sees her driving -- what a ghost car
Old 07-09-04, 05:21 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Mike,

HELLOOOOOO fellow Canuckian!! I've just purchased my 1998 GS400 a couple of weeks back, after trying to find a replacewment for my Lincoln. I test drove nearly everything under the sun. The GS400 is a very, very solid car. I agree that the noises that are heard are simply because the ar is so quiet. I don't hear to many squeaks or rattle in other cars I've driven, but man....I hear lots of EVERYTHING else..wind noise, road noise, engine noise, etc... The engine in the GS, apart from being nearly unbreakeable, is SO creamy in the power delivery, is quiet, and has serious power for when you need it. The looks of the car are top rated, even for a design several years old. Interiior is a touch bland, but it goes with the theme of the car: to-the-point, easy to use, and peerless in terms of quality and functionality. I promise you that everyday you drive the car, you are pleasantly suprised all over again at how good it really is. As far as your size and roominess concerns, I did some research for you, and the GS is larger in most every dimension by at least .5" Look:

GS400 Maxima

Front Legroom (in.) 44.50 43.90

Front Shoulder Room (in.) 57.70 56.80

Front Hip Room (in.) 55.00 54.30

So there you have it. My opinion..which matters more than anyone because I'm Canadian!! I'm also an engineer in the auto world, so I have a pretty good idea of what a car should be!

By the way.....what city are you from? I'm in Windsor...let's get together when you get your Lexus...Cheers...~Ron
Old 07-09-04, 06:20 PM
BlaXXXima
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you did reply, because I've been reading a bunch of your threads / posts in the process of educating myself

I'm in Nova Scotia (moved out here from Ottawa last December (wifey is a native Haligonian)). So unless I buy a GS in TO, my meet opportunities are slim, sadly. I miss the car scene back home.

To be honest, I'm very sold on the car. I just need to get the financials set up on my end, and it's a done deal. We are going down from 2 cars to 1 car in our household, and so I am trying to find the 1 car I will be happy with (for a few years).

I know a fellow Toronto Maxima Club guy who bought a GS400 around your way recently - black on black. Don't remember his name, but he might be down with a meet some time. He's in TO or thereabouts as best I can remember. I'll try and track him down and hook you up with his info. His car is beautiful.

There are a few GS400's in the Toronto area that I am considering, if only because the N.S. selection is so poor. If I do come to TO to pick one up, I'll see about maybe meeting to look at the car / your car and say hi - nice to know fellow Canuckian enthusiasts

What year is yours? Mileage?

There is a 98 locally with 150K on it going for $22,300 here. I was out to try and see it today, but the owner of the lot was off driving the car (bugger!). It won't be Lexus pre-approved, which is kind of a bummer, as there will be no warranty on it. The one I linked earlier is a 2000, meaning newer, and with warranty - only outside of my budget (right now). I would have to do a hard sell to the wifey to make it work (I'm looking for work, she's a dentist. We have a new practice and a new house out here, so money is tight.. lol).

Either way, thanks for the reply, and I hope that we can hook up one day. Your reviews were very helpful in helping me formulate some thoughts, and I appreciate all the feedback.

Keep the replies coming. I like talking cars, and will start to troll more while I look around

Mike
Old 07-09-04, 06:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

You need to look at Hameed's in the classifieds. It's all tricked out and immaculate. I believe it's a '99. He's in Toronto. Here's the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=125223

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-09-04 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-09-04, 07:33 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded my 1998 maxima for my current GS4. I am also a big guy standing at 6'!" and 270# (bodybuilding does good with this car). Three years and no one issue, it is the best car in the world in my opinion. but is not good in the SD winters. If it was not for the winter handling i would keep this forever. Oh by the way i was a big on maxima.org back in the day.
So yes I am looking to sell mine sometime soon. It is becoming the hardest decision I have ever made. Selling a car should not be this difficult.
Sorry, yes they are great cars as you have heard..

Last edited by kutscher; 07-09-04 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-09-04, 07:41 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Maxima Convert

I had a 2000 Maxima SE...great car, but not enough power and too much torque steer. I went to Stillen looking for an SC, but kinda fell into my GS cuz of the V-8 and better lux. You cannot go wrong with the GS, it's a no-brainer even used! If you want something newer and cheaper I would look at the Infiniti G35. Good luck
Old 07-09-04, 08:38 PM
BlaXXXima
Rookie

Good link to Hameed's thanks!

Might be a bit more than I can realistically afford right now, which is too bad, because it's got stuff I'd want to do to mine done already, as well as having been well maintained / low KM.

Old 07-09-04, 10:20 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whos black Lex is that with the Explosion front? Never seen it before
Old 07-09-04, 11:03 PM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default I am another maxima owner that bought a GS.->

Getting rid of my maxima was one of the toughest things that I ever had to do. It was supercharged, it had 4 tvs, DVD, vcr player, sony playstation, stillen body kit, C5 racing hart rims, Blah,Blah, Blah. My maxima would run circles around a GS400. But I always loved the GS since I first saw it in 98 and even though I used to purposely pick on them in street races I always new that I will end up buying one. Do I miss my maxima Hell yes, but If I had to choose between the two I will pick my GS any day. The fit and finish and the overall quality of the GS the maxima can't touch.
Later:Jose
Old 07-10-04, 12:17 AM
BlaXXXima
Rookie

here's a question:

There is a 98 GS400 for sale locally with 155Kms on it.

Silver, black leather interior, 17s, etc.

It's going for $22,300 CDN.

Is this worth looking at?
Old 07-10-04, 05:20 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Hey there fellow orger, I was once and still sometimes am a member over there. I traded in my max a year and a half ago and hav ent thought twice about it. You will love the new car and even better this site. The org is all know it alls and this site is all cool dudes. My name over there was 97glemax. Welcome aboard and now go get that Lex lol.
Old 07-10-04, 05:57 AM
ballin
Pole Position

Default Welcome to CL

I was once a 4th gen Maxima owner, and belong to Maxima.org too. Selling my Max was one of the hardest thing for me because of the performance and the sleeper look it had. My Max would roast V6 accords, mustangs, and some V8 all day long. But it went to a loving home( my nephew).
I ended up buying a 99 GS3 w/ 35k last year because of the price was in my range, and it became my wifes commuter car. The car had class of a Benz, but a reliability of a Japanese made car. I love almost everything about the GS3. The only down side of the GS is that it has no manual transmission, and the stock tranni just straight out suck. After market parts is so darn expensive and hard to come by. Just like the Max a few years back.
If I had a chance to do it all over again to make a purchase on a GS, it would be definately a GS430.
Old 07-10-04, 04:43 PM
jucee187
Lead Lap

BLAXXIMA wassup man.. its me. .. (TMC)? welcome to the club and get a GS4 you WILL lovee it and forget about your max.. Only Issue i have is in the winter (fishtailing) but its fun!! but its nothing that the SNOW mode and winter tires cant fix.. !!! good luck with whatever you choose..
Old 07-10-04, 07:02 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by BlaXXXima
here's a question:

There is a 98 GS400 for sale locally with 155Kms on it.

Silver, black leather interior, 17s, etc.

It's going for $22,300 CDN.

Is this worth looking at?
Way, Way to much money...

$15K at best with 155,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Maxima owner looking at GS400