GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Maxima owner looking at GS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 09:28 AM
BlaXXXima
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxima owner looking at GS400

Hey guys (and gals),

I own a 1998 Nissan Maxima and a 2002 Civic. I've come here from Maxima.org after hearing a few guys talk about ClubLexus, and how great the cars are.

I'm looking to sell one of my cars, and trade the other one in for a GS400. I have been doing some reading on the site, and looking at some of the threads to get some basic info, but I need a little assistance. Mind helping a fellow car enthusiast and potential Lexus owner out?

I am trying to figure out the quality on a 98 GS400. I want the 4 doors, and need auto (wifey can't / won't drive stick). I have heard about various rattles, but also about that being due to the noise suppresion making them audible.
I have also heard about headlight condensation.

The reason for the switch is that I want a fun car that is automatic. If I am going to forego my 5spd, I need something that is going to get my juices flowing and still be driveable for my wife. I'm 6'3, 270lbs with a wide back and long legs. Will I fit?

I am also looking for a car that isn't going to cost me money right away. I need to have some peace of mind that our only car isn't going to pooch on me and force me to spend money I don't have right now on repairs / maintenance.

SO, if you don't mind - and you have a minute - would you mind trying to convince me that I'm thinking abou the right car?

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate all comments / criticisms.

Mike

Oh, and if you want to know a bit more: http://www.cardomain.com/id/sofineguy1
Old 07-09-04, 10:02 AM
russ29
Rookie

Mike,

I went from a 91 max (214k miles) to a 99 max. It just wasn't the same so I started looking at the GS. About 2 years and 80k miles ago, I purchased a GS300 and I haven't looked back. The Lex has a few little rattles and my headlights fog up a bit in the spring but I can easily over look these issues. I expected the quality to be a bit better but since it was used when I got it (33k miles) I am not going to complain.

The ride and car is super comfortable and it has plenty of get up and go for me. Since I do about 1000 miles a week, I've always watched the MPG and I've been getting about 25 mpg doing 70-80 mph highway driving.

I absolutely love the CD unit in the glove box. I can swap out 6 CDs at a time. Lex has a CD cartridge setup so I have two cartridges. I will use one and swap CDs out of the other.

I am about 6'2" 200 lbs and it has plenty of room for me.

I have 112,000 miles on the car and expect another 100k.

If I had to do all over again, I would not get black. It is so hard to keep it clean driving as much as I do.

Hope this helps,

good luck!
Old 07-09-04, 10:03 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buahahahhaa...another maxima.org member turn club lexus member.... remember me homeboy??

well I tossed my POS Maxima and bought a GS400 with navigation.

The car is a real beast, much different than your 98 maxima. I can tell you, as I am learning slowly about this car, it has some quirks but it is a true beast and the gas mileage isn't as bad as I had thought it'd be.

I would also like to point out, there is no such thing as a $5 STB for this car, like there is for the maxima

Mods for this car are major coin, but then again the Lexus in and of itself is in a whole different category than the maxima

good luck with your choice
Old 07-09-04, 10:14 AM
HotBlue400
Pole Position

First off.. im 6'3" 200 and i have plenty of room. . the ratles that they talk about, thats just the shade for the sunroof. if you want power, get the gs400 . mine is a 98 gs400 i bought it with 43k on it. i DONT have the condensation in my HID's.. and if you get a 98-00 gs400 youll have the E-Shift buttons on the steering wheel.. close enough to manual.. i wouldnt consider any other car after owning my gs400
Attached Thumbnails Maxima owner looking at GS400-9.jpg  
Old 07-09-04, 10:16 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider getting a certified pre-owned GS if you are concerned about repairs. 3year/100,000mi bumper to bumper warranty is not bad. I got my 98 LS 3 years ago as a CPO. It still drives like a new car.

Last edited by BrickHead; 07-09-04 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-09-04, 10:19 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

honestly I looked at the newer Maximas before I got my first GS. The head-turning styling of the GS won me over, along with the Lexus rep for customer service. I personally don't care about any type of snob appeal that the Lexus name may have to some. I bought that car, and my current GS400, based on comfort, reliability, styling, luxury, and also performance. There aren't many other cars out there that have such a great balance of all these characterisitics IMO. Not to mention the "bang-for-the-buck" factor.

Any "rattles" that you may have read about are quite subjective IMO. My first GS had a sunroof "tick" that was barely audible, i.e. you really had to listen for it. My current GS has no rattles whatsoever, and that's even after a considerable drop on coilovers.

As far as dropping $$$ right away, you don't have to do squat to these cars besides routine upkeep. They just keep going and going.

A word of advice: Having owned both a GS300 and now the GS400, drop the extra coinage and go for the 400!!!! It never gets old to drive when you can blow the doors off of 95% of the cars on the road and still bask in style and luxury. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by ebruce2; 07-09-04 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-09-04, 10:19 AM
HotBlue400
Pole Position

FOOD FOR THOUGHT Check it out
Old 07-09-04, 10:22 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a 99 Maxima SE which I really enjoyed (it was a great car) and I love my GS400 in comparison. I will tell you though, if they made a V8 Maxima I would have considered it...

Old 07-09-04, 10:41 AM
LexFather

I hope Black diamond sees this. We met him at a meet what, 3 years ago. He had a modded 98 Max I think. He was checking out GSs so we told him to come out.

Well 3 years later, he has one of the baddest GSs here. And just added a S/C for his GS 400.
Honestly, we have quite a few converts from Maximas to the GS in particular. It seems like a great natural step up. And I noticed the owners of both cars have lots in common when it comes to wants/needs in a car.

The GS was Car of the year, for a lil while the fastest auto sedan, and is STILL the most reliable car in it's class. There are countless mods available for the car as well.

This should convince you.
Attached Thumbnails Maxima owner looking at GS400-5595dscn1935-med.jpg  
Old 07-09-04, 10:46 AM
LexFather

Oh, welcome to Clublexus.
Attached Thumbnails Maxima owner looking at GS400-p1010062.jpg  
Old 07-09-04, 11:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well i guess you are convinced already so i won't say much. but basically, the gs is a big *** car, you will fit inside no problem for sure. and the maintenance is at minimal if you get a good condition one. and of course, it's fast
Old 07-09-04, 11:19 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by rominl
well i guess you are convinced already so i won't say much. but basically, the gs is a big *** car, you will fit inside no problem for sure. and the maintenance is at minimal if you get a good condition one. and of course, it's fast
I am 6'5, 240, it fits like a glove.
Old 07-09-04, 01:30 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought my 98 GS400 almost 2 years ago, and to this day, it hasn't needed a repair. Honest. No rattles to report.

I have 75k on it now and have only done the required maintenance. The E-Shift has provided me with wide grins high up on the mountain switchbacks. Purists will argue that a manual is the only true way to go for a luxury sports car, but I have had more fun with this tranny and this engine's power curve than I ever imagined I could have. Do it.
Old 07-09-04, 01:31 PM
BlaXXXima
Rookie

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies and insights. Yeah, I'm already pretty sold on the car, but I like to hear what other people have to say about it (kinda like my own personal JD Power survey).

I agree that Max guys and GS owners have a lot in common - we want the best in class with luxury and some power, and most Max guys tend to want RWD vehicles. Never having driven an RWD car, I am curious, and although I get snow where I live, don't think it will be a problem.

Shabby - congrats on the upgrade. You're still loved on the .ORG. hehehe Hope you are enjoying your new car What have you done to it, if anything?

I'm probably going to be looking at a GS400 with around 70-100Kms on it (40-60K miles), so I don't know what maintenance costs would be at that point.

Either way - beautiful ride. Not many around where I am (Nova Scotia, ex-Ontario guy), so the pickings are slim. I am going to have to buy out of province I'm sure.

Anyways, you guys seem cool, so I'm sure if I do go the GS route, I'll fit right in. Thanks again for the input, and feel free to continue to pass along tips / pointers.

Oh, and you don't have to sell me with hot looking GS's... I've been drooling over that car since it came out.

Mike
Old 07-09-04, 01:38 PM
BlaXXXima
Rookie

Oh, this just came up - being Lexus certified, it comes with warranty as well.

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience...=1&index=6&t=7

A little more than i want to spend (25K Cdn - i.e. about 11K more).... but it might be worth it).

Mike

Quick Reply: Maxima owner looking at GS400