GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Product Review: LuxLink Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-04, 11:58 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clarification: With the remote start you get a black box which is your immobilizer by-pass kit. Your valet key or master key will sit in this box which also has a chip that controls the immobilizer. ONLY when you do a remote start will your engine immobilizer deactivate because of the key in the box. So basically your car security features will work like factory until you do a remote start. When you do a remote start, you will still have to put your key in the ignition anyway to get the car out of gear.

Words of wisdom: Your car will work the same until you do a remote start. Once you do a remote start, don't leave your cars sight. Only then will you be asking for someone to walk up to the car and try to put a screw driver into the ignition. Hope this helps......

Ken

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 08-14-04 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-14-04, 03:06 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ken, any word on when a GB will be available for the remote start?
Old 08-14-04, 05:50 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Stealther
Thanks Ken, any word on when a GB will be available for the remote start?
I'm shooting for Sept 1st. They are currently building the units as we speak.
Old 08-18-04, 09:48 PM
edfrsd
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know if it will be available for the RX330?
Old 08-19-04, 12:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by edfrsd
i think it should be available for the rx330. i should be over at lmw this weekend, i will try to find more info
Old 08-24-04, 12:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by edfrsd
i got the answer for you, it will work for rx330 no problem
Old 08-24-04, 12:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well guys, more update. this past weekend i went down to LA and got my auto start as well as the shock senor alarm system installed. let me just say they are awesome my gs4 has little range problem with the remote, but other than that, the auto start works awesome. very flexible setup as well.

the shock sensor is doing a a fantastic job as well, i believe mine was the first production unit so we did a lot of testing here and there to make sure it was good. and everything worked out just fine. i was very happy. it also has a lot of flexibility for you to control the alarm, enabling and disabling some features.

besides the two products, let's just say the guys over there are super cool too steve the owner of course was so nice, very good to talk to and you can learn a lot of stuff from him easy. jason is the front desk guy, i talked with him when i made the appointment, also talked to him couple of times that day. let's just say he's a very funny guy ray and jose both worked on my car as well, they are bunch of cool folks.

it's so funny, i just went there by myself but i happened to run into THREE is300 people. man was that a surprise!
Old 08-24-04, 01:05 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

That sounds great Rom, could you comment on the install and how that went? What did it end up costing? Also, what kind of shock sensor is it? Electromagnetic Dual Zone? Pics?
Old 08-24-04, 07:05 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is there a way to disable the headlight flash with this?
Old 08-24-04, 09:12 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

So now that you have installed yours Rom, when is the GB coming for the rest of us lesser mortals???????
Old 08-24-04, 04:55 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Hameed
So now that you have installed yours Rom, when is the GB coming for the rest of us lesser mortals???????
Didn't mean to jump in, but hopefully the first week in Sept. I'm just waiting for LMW to send Club Lexus some additional info. Once that's completed, a formal Vendor announcement will be made and then I will help start the GB. Trust me, it will be well worth it...

GammaLex: I was thinking hard about what you said and I'm sure something can be done. However, if someone is messing with your car at night, wouldn't it be better if your lights were also flashing to help draw more attention to your car? The flashing headlights might be hard on your HID bulbs but it's a small price to pay if someone is truly breaking into your car or stealing your wheels. Just food for thought...

Ken

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 08-24-04 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 06:22 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by GammaLex
Is there a way to disable the headlight flash with this?
Yah...I agree with Gamma...you gotta disable low-beam flashing....esp if you got HIDs....that'll just mess up your ballasts and HID bulbs.

Maybe go with High Beam flashing instead.

Pete
Old 08-24-04, 08:55 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there are other systems out there that has more functions for that kind of money. It looks kind of overpriced to me for the limited functions.

Recently, I had a Valet 554R alarm/remote start installed. It works great. What I also like about it is the price. I paid less than $375 INSTALLED.

Remember, now I have TWO alarms and a remote start. We all know the basic OEM alarm is a crappy active alarm (it doesn't arm by itself). Additionally, it doesn't have impact sensors.....It doesn't go off if someone breaks your windows or takes a hammer and beats on your hood.

So I have the OEM alarm that uses the horn and the Valet alarm that has its own siren. If someone opens the door, both alarms goes off and my pager goes off alerting me that something happened to my car. With one push of a button on the Valet fob, I deactivate BOTH alarms.

The Valet 554R is basically identical to the Viper 91VX (not sure if I got the model correct). On the plus side, my OEM alarm doesn't work if I'm further than 50ft from the car. With the Valet, I can remote start the car when it is OVER 100ft away (and this is through a window of a hotel room).

Plus, I get a little pager that tells me when the alarm goes off. I'll know if someone hit the car, or if the door's open or if the trunk is open or if the hood is open. I know EXACTLY what triggered the alarm.

Additionally, after I remote start the car, I can then shut it down with a press of a button.

I'm not saying Luxury Motor Works isn't a good company. I'm just saying for under $400, you have many options.

To answer the questions about the immobilizer.....with most remote starts, you need to put a key in a black box (the key must contain the chip that will start the engine......most people use their valet key). When you install the black box, MAKE SURE you destroy the key. Take a grinder and grind off the key (so if they find the key in the black box, they can't use that key to drive your car away).

Anyway, even with the key in the dash, there is NO way for you to start the car. I have a wallet key that I tested with (the wallet key does NOT have the chip). I get in the car and used the wallet key to try to start the car. It doesn't work.

There is a little wire that goes from the little black box to where the ignition is (the key hole). The black wire that goes from the black box to the ignition somehow transmit a signal when you remote start the car, tricking the car to think the key is there. So the only time the car knows that the key is there is when you remote start it. Somehow, the blackbox isolates the key from the car.

For those interested, here are some pics of the install. It is VERY VERY difficult. Don't attempt unless you know what you're doing.

The unit

The pager system that alerts you when a warning goes off

Installation process

More install pics

Again, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. The Luxury Motor Works system looks like a very simple system that serves the same purpose. And it's great for those who do NOT want more crap on their key ring. But I just want to inform members that there are other options that aren't too expensive.

If the mods think this post is inappropriate or somehow violates CL's policy, please feel free to delete it.

Last edited by Cadd; 08-24-04 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 09:02 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Clarification: With the remote start you get a black box which is your immobilizer by-pass kit. Your valet key or master key will sit in this box which also has a chip that controls the immobilizer. ONLY when you do a remote start will your engine immobilizer deactivate because of the key in the box. So basically your car security features will work like factory until you do a remote start. When you do a remote start, you will still have to put your key in the ignition anyway to get the car out of gear.

Words of wisdom: Your car will work the same until you do a remote start. Once you do a remote start, don't leave your cars sight. Only then will you be asking for someone to walk up to the car and try to put a screw driver into the ignition. Hope this helps......

Ken
Not fully true. When you remote start your car, the doors can be locked. However, if somebody decides to break in, it will trigger the alarm.....that will automatically stop the engine. So, you're safe.
Old 08-24-04, 10:28 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Capp: Thanks for the heads up. Your info serves as a good reminder that most aftermarket system do offer better features. if you look at Lexus navigation systems, factory navi will never compare with an Alpine or Pioneer system. Both Pioneer and Alpine are now offering over 12 million POI's (point's of interest) where as factory is still in the 1-2 million POI's. In relation to the remote start, obviously aftermarket would be using a different frequency which would allow you to get the range of 100 ft or better. Factory range sucks and we know it but many of us do not want to take the chance of having a shop try to install an aftermarket alarm/remote start on our 40K+ cars and screwing the electronics up. The LMW remote start offers a simple way of doing a remote start with the "Factory" key with an installation time under 1 hour using simple hand tools...

And yes, you are correct. You can leave the doors locked when you do a remote start however having over 20K in mods, I wouldn't turn my back and walk away from the car in a heartbeat.

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 08-24-04 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: New Product Review: LuxLink Remote Start