GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Product Review: LuxLink Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 10:42 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with not having the low-beams flash. High beams sound like a good idea, tie into the flash-to-pass function perhaps. LXOGOOD, any word on what kind of shock sensor LMW is using (single/dual zone, remote adjustable or **** adjust)? Where is the suggested mounting point?

Can't wait to hear about the group buy and more details details details!

Last edited by Stealther; 08-24-04 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 10:57 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Stealther
I agree with not having the low-beams flash. High beams sound like a good idea, tie into the flash-to-pass function perhaps. LXOGOOD, any word on what kind of shock sensor LMW is using (single/dual zone, remote adjustable or **** adjust)? Where is the suggested mounting point?

Can't wait to hear about the group buy and more details details details!
I'm going to talk to LMW tomorrow about the possibility of by-passing the low beams and using another source. i too was alittle concerned about the headlights flashing but figured how often is my alarm actually going to be set off... As for the shock sensor, I'm going to let LMW give out all the details when the GB starts. The new 500 circuit boards are being made right now as we speak. I do know that the radar warn-away we tested is NOT going to happen. Too many issues with the radar! Currently, I have my shock sensor on a wiring harness located on the passenger side behind the glove box.
Old 08-25-04, 01:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

That sounds great Rom, could you comment on the install and how that went? What did it end up costing? Also, what kind of shock sensor is it? Electromagnetic Dual Zone? Pics?
the install wasn't all that hard. i didn't do the install, they did it for me, but i was there looking at the process as much as i can. you do haev to take off couple of panels here and there, but as long as you have worked on your car before i don't think that's anything major at all. install didn't take that long too, they were working on my car stop and go and it took about 2 hours to do both.

price wise i believe right now they are doing the autostart for 250 installed and the sensor for 150 installed. it's off the top of my head among the trillions of numbers they gave me that day, so i could be wrong

but wait for the GB, it would be worth so much more. worth the extra wait

i didn't take any pics of the install, and now everything is hidden (that's what we all love about it right, everything hidden), so i am not sure if i take a pic you guys can see what and where they are?
Old 08-25-04, 01:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Hameed
So now that you have installed yours Rom, when is the GB coming for the rest of us lesser mortals???????
don't worry hameed, it's coming along. lxogood and i are both working with lmw and see what we can pull out together
Old 08-25-04, 01:20 AM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Question:
Can we buy a used remote key off ebay and program that chip code into car's computer, then put that key in the black box?

So, even someone can got into the car but won't able to turn the igniton.

just my .02
Old 08-25-04, 01:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GammaLex
Is there a way to disable the headlight flash with this?
Originally posted by PHML
Yah...I agree with Gamma...you gotta disable low-beam flashing....esp if you got HIDs....that'll just mess up your ballasts and HID bulbs.

Maybe go with High Beam flashing instead.

Pete
to answer you guys' questions, i will post what i think about the situation.

first of all, nop, you can't disable the headlight from fashing when the alarm goes off. is it gonig to hurt the system? probably it will do some wear on the system. but i think that's about it.

keep in mind, that's also how the factory alarm works. with the factory alarm, if the door is opened when the car is armed, the alarm goes off and the headlights go on and off as well. yes, on HID. now if that's going to kill the hid easily, why would lexus do any of that? they are not stupid, we all know how good they are.

so my guess is the system (ballasts and bulbs) would be able to take some on and off testing. for the record, i already talked to TWO lexus master tech before on the issue of HID going on and off during alarm. they both told me that it's a good question. if you have normal hid kits, they will probably blow. however the system on lexus is pretty good, and they have yet to see a system die coz' of alarm going on and off. the ballast on the GS (at least) look very different from any of the ballasts i have seen on hid kits. maybe there is something special about it?

in fact, that day during the install at lmw, my alarm went off at LEAST 10 times (testing was necessary), and my system is still running strong. no diffence in color, nothing i can detect.

with that said, you guys will have to understand how the sensor from lmw is done and integrated. it's never meant to be a separate system. it's to work together ON TOP of the factory alarm. meaning that the shock sensor, when needed, uses the stock alarm. and that's why the headlight will still flashes when the alarm goes off.

so in order to do what you guys think, i would imagine quite a bit change to the whole factory alarm setup to disable the headlight from flashing. now i could be wrong, coz' i didn't design the thing and i don't ahve any diagrams with me. but at least from a logical point of view and how the current setup is done, that's what i think would needed to be done.
Old 08-25-04, 01:22 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RayGS3
Question:
Can we buy a used remote key off ebay and program that chip code into car's computer, then put that key in the black box?

So, even someone can got into the car but won't able to turn the igniton.

just my .02
From what I understand, yes. You can even do it with an uncut key.
Old 08-25-04, 01:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
I'm going to talk to LMW tomorrow about the possibility of by-passing the low beams and using another source. i too was alittle concerned about the headlights flashing but figured how often is my alarm actually going to be set off... As for the shock sensor, I'm going to let LMW give out all the details when the GB starts. The new 500 circuit boards are being made right now as we speak. I do know that the radar warn-away we tested is NOT going to happen. Too many issues with the radar! Currently, I have my shock sensor on a wiring harness located on the passenger side behind the glove box.
about the low beam thing, another point that i can think of. seriously how often do you expect your alarm to go off anyway... personally i don't expect my alarm to go off more than maybe 2 or 3 times a yr. keep in mind it's a two stage setup. first stage is just a warning. you need some pretty serious shake on the car for the alarm to go off. instead of worry about the low beam, start to worry about other panels on the car i think.
Old 08-25-04, 01:28 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rominl
with that said, you guys will have to understand how the sensor from lmw is done and integrated. it's never meant to be a separate system. it's to work together ON TOP of the factory alarm. meaning that the shock sensor, when needed, uses the stock alarm. and that's why the headlight will still flashes when the alarm goes off.

so in order to do what you guys think, i would imagine quite a bit change to the whole factory alarm setup to disable the headlight from flashing. now i could be wrong, coz' i didn't design the thing and i don't ahve any diagrams with me. but at least from a logical point of view and how the current setup is done, that's what i think would needed to be done.
Makes sense Rom, Theoretically I would think that it is possible to do (after all the factory alarm would need to trigger the lights to come on in the first place). Find the wires that pulse from the alarm brain (assuming there is a seperate brain!) and then determine which is the horn and which is the light. Then go from there, of course it would complicate the install and it would no longer be a DIY for most people.

PS, don't you sleep?
Old 08-25-04, 01:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Cadd
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there are other systems out there that has more functions for that kind of money. It looks kind of overpriced to me for the limited functions.

Recently, I had a Valet 554R alarm/remote start installed. It works great. What I also like about it is the price. I paid less than $375 INSTALLED.

Remember, now I have two alarms and a remote start. We all know the basic OEM alarm is a crappy active alarm (it doesn't arm by itself). Additionally, it doesn't have impact sensors.....It doesn't go off if someone breaks your windows or takes a hammer and beats on your hood.

So I have the OEM alarm that uses the horn and the Valet alarm that has its own siren. If someone opens the door, both alarms goes off and my pager goes off alerting me that something happened to my car. With one push of a button on the Valet fob, I deactivate BOTH alarms.

The Valet 554R is basically identical to the Viper 91VX (not sure if I got the model correct). On the plus side, my OEM alarm doesn't work if I'm further than 50ft from the car. With the Valet, I can remote start the car when it is OVER 100ft away (and this is through a window of a hotel room).

Plus, I get a little pager that tells me when the alarm goes off. I'll know if someone hit the car, or if the door's open or if the trunk is open or if the hood is open. I know EXACTLY what triggered the alarm.

Additionally, after I remote start the car, I can then shut it down with a press of a button.

I'm not saying Luxury Motor Works isn't a good company. I'm just saying for under $400, you have many options.

To answer the questions about the immobilizer.....with most remote starts, you need to put a key in a black box (the key must contain the chip that will start the engine......most people use their valet key). When you install the black box, MAKE SURE you destroy the key. Take a grinder and grind off the key (so if they find the key in the black box, they can't use that key to drive your car away).

Anyway, even with the key in the dash, there is NO way for you to start the car. I have a wallet key that I tested with (the wallet key does NOT have the chip). I get in the car and used the wallet key to try to start the car. It doesn't work.

There is a little wire that goes from the little black box to where the ignition is (the key hole). The black wire that goes from the black box to the ignition somehow transmit a signal when you remote start the car, tricking the car to think the key is there. So the only time the car knows that the key is there is when you remote start it. Somehow, the blackbox isolates the key from the car.

For those interested, here are some pics of the install. It is VERY VERY difficult. Don't attempt unless you know what you're doing.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. The Luxury Motor Works system looks like a very simple system that serves the same purpose. And it's great for those who do NOT want more crap on their key ring. But I just want to inform members that there are other options that aren't too expensive.

If the mods think this post is inappropriate or somehow violates CL's policy, please feel free to delete it.
some very good points there cadd, i really like your reply. you did bring up some very good points about both different kinds of setup.

basically the bottom line, i think the biggest selling point of the lmw autostart and sensor is that you totally retain your stock remote. you guys know me. i have had my car for a bit over 2 yrs, and with the amount of mods i have on the car, you think i haven't thought about alarm before (specially when it's only couple 100s installed for some very good system)?

however what's been keeping me from getting one, is that i will have another SECOND remote. no offence to anyone who has it (seriously i mean it, it's just me), but i think it's very stupid to have a second remote when i already have one, right on the key. i don't see the point of having another remote hanging together with the keys. together with the TWO sets of wheel locks i got for my wheels, boy do i have a heavy pocket.

that's what caught my eyes right the way when lxogood called me up about lmw autostart. as soon as he told me it uses stock remote, i asked how much. another day he called me about the sensor, i asked him when it's going to be available. i love the fact that i use my stock remote, and i do pretty much what i need for the car (auto start and shock sensor).

now about the stock alarm, i don't know if i would really go and say that it's crappy. yes it doesn't have a shock sensor. but honestly, out there, i don't see a lot of manufacturers offering shock sensor alarm system STOCK on their cars. it's still a pretty good system as is in terms of how it protects the car from further attack. for starters, i don't know of a system that will continue to lock the door 3 times a second once the alarm goes off. the stock alarm does that. i was so shocked when i saw that demo in person.

so that's why i thought to myself that putting a shock sensor on top of the stock alarm isn't entirely a bad idea.

but yes, i agree with you completely (and there is no argue) that for the same price, you most likely can get some better system with more features installed on your car. alarm systems have been around since LONG time ago, it's so developed already that i am not surprised about what you get these days

hopefully this could be a good explanation and info "session'" for people to decide
Old 08-25-04, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

From what I understand, yes. You can even do it with an uncut key.
yes, thats totally possible, and that's exactly what *cough* most *cough* people do?
Old 08-25-04, 01:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Makes sense Rom, Theoretically I would think that it is possible to do (after all the factory alarm would need to trigger the lights to come on in the first place). Find the wires that pulse from the alarm brain (assuming there is a seperate brain!) and then determine which is the horn and which is the light. Then go from there, of course it would complicate the install and it would no longer be a DIY for most people.

PS, don't you sleep?
oh, don't get me wrong, it shouldn't be hard to do. but that might mean you lose the headlight flashing once and for all (even if the stock alarm system triggers). could defintely try the high beam though. i don't know how much work it would take. knowing how complicated the system is on lexus (wiring wise), it could be a 2 min job or ends up being 2 days). and also keep in mind, they are trying to make this product generic for ALL lexus models, which is the case right now. shifting it to high beam instead of low beam, i don't know if it's going to be model specific?

sleep? well, you guys keep on asking, so?
Old 08-25-04, 01:43 AM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

so can both sensor and autostart purchase and install seperately?

Or I have to install one first before the other one?
Old 08-25-04, 02:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by RayGS3
so can both sensor and autostart purchase and install seperately?

Or I have to install one first before the other one?
they are completely separate entities. you can have both, or one or another other alone if you want
Old 08-25-04, 02:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

btw just that you guys know, i am not just supporting lmw blindly. those who know me, you know i am the kind of person who studies carefully and only get stuff that i want. and i also just support stuff i think is good and worth their values. so yes there are reasons why i support lmw, but it's not like only coz' they gave me any deal on the install. nothing to do with that, it's all about objective views on the products

Quick Reply: New Product Review: LuxLink Remote Start