GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Product Review: LuxLink Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 07:21 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Factory range sucks and we know it but many of us do not want to take the chance of having a shop try to install an aftermarket alarm/remote start on our 40K+ cars and screwing the electronics up. The LMW remote start offers a simple way of doing a remote start with the "Factory" key with an installation time under 1 hour using simple hand tools...
This is the POINT worth noting!

You can have a $3,000 alarm and have a moron to install it and mess everything all up. INSTALLATION IS THE KEY!!!!!!!!!!!

You MUST find a reputable shop who knows what they're doing to install an alarm. You have to MAKE SURE that they are neat with ALL THE WIRES. You should make sure they KNOW the car before doing the installation.

Most likely, you'll never find anyone who would pamper your car and go the extra yard for you.

The great thing about the LMW system is that it is a system that looks like it has been developed to cater to Lexus.....and it's plug and play! (which is a GREAT thing).

If I didn't know my installer, I would NOT let anyone take my car apart and start splicing the wires.

FWIW - I was there assisting with the installation of my alarm.....I was there for over 7 hours!!!!!!! That's the proper way of doing it. Most installers will just take short cuts. So remember INSTALLATION IS THE KEY!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Cadd; 08-25-04 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 07:40 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
some very good points there cadd, i really like your reply. you did bring up some very good points about both different kinds of setup.

basically the bottom line, i think the biggest selling point of the lmw autostart and sensor is that you totally retain your stock remote. you guys know me. i have had my car for a bit over 2 yrs, and with the amount of mods i have on the car, you think i haven't thought about alarm before (specially when it's only couple 100s installed for some very good system)?
This is one of the two biggest selling point. Keeping everything OEM is a for most people.

And the INSTALLATION is the BIGGEST selling point, IMO. You "KNOW" you did it right. You "KNOW" no short cuts were taken.

however what's been keeping me from getting one, is that i will have another SECOND remote. no offence to anyone who has it (seriously i mean it, it's just me), but i think it's very stupid to have a second remote when i already have one, right on the key. i don't see the point of having another remote hanging together with the keys. together with the TWO sets of wheel locks i got for my wheels, boy do i have a heavy pocket.
Having ONLY one remote is definitely a big plus.....trust me, I would rather have one remote than to have something else dangle on the key. These are excellent points!

Off Topic: but why do you have two sets of wheel locks? (for your lugnuts?) And you carry them with you on your pocket? That must be real heavy! LOL. Do you walk lopsided? It would be a PITA if you lose them! Why not just leave them locked somewhere in the car? Lock them in the glove box or lock them in a box in the trunk somewhere.

now about the stock alarm, i don't know if i would really go and say that it's crappy. yes it doesn't have a shock sensor. but honestly, out there, i don't see a lot of manufacturers offering shock sensor alarm system STOCK on their cars. it's still a pretty good system as is in terms of how it protects the car from further attack. for starters, i don't know of a system that will continue to lock the door 3 times a second once the alarm goes off. the stock alarm does that. i was so shocked when i saw that demo in person.
Ok, maybe crappy isn't a good choice of words. But, I guess it's a decent alarm. It's probably a really good alarm when you compare it to other OEM alarms. However, IMO (again, I only have limited knowledge since I'm not in the alarm field), it's kind of weak when you compare it to an aftermarket alarm.....that's why I used the word "crappy". I wasn't comparing it to other OEM alarms. I guess I wasn't being fair.....wasn't compare apples to apples.

but yes, i agree with you completely (and there is no argue) that for the same price, you most likely can get some better system with more features installed on your car. alarm systems have been around since LONG time ago, it's so developed already that i am not surprised about what you get these days

hopefully this could be a good explanation and info "session'" for people to decide
You can definitely get a MUCH better alarm for the money......BUT, installing it is another question. Remember, INSTALLATION is the key. You have to find someone you can trust. And we all know that isn't an easy task.

I also hope this thread will help others make their decision. So, bottom line is, if you're lucky like me.....to know someone who is in the alarm field and who is ALSO a previous GS owner, and is trust worthy and has great work ethics, there is NO question that aftermarket is the way to go.

However, if you're paranoid (like me) and only want the best for your car......and want the job done right, but don't really know anyone to do that, the LMW system is the way to go. You can't go wrong with a 2 hour self installation.
Old 08-25-04, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Cadd
This is one of the two biggest selling point. Keeping everything OEM is a for most people.

And the INSTALLATION is the BIGGEST selling point, IMO. You "KNOW" you did it right. You "KNOW" no short cuts were taken.

Having ONLY one remote is definitely a big plus.....trust me, I would rather have one remote than to have something else dangle on the key. These are excellent points!

Off Topic: but why do you have two sets of wheel locks? (for your lugnuts?) And you carry them with you on your pocket? That must be real heavy! LOL. Do you walk lopsided? It would be a PITA if you lose them! Why not just leave them locked somewhere in the car? Lock them in the glove box or lock them in a box in the trunk somewhere.

Ok, maybe crappy isn't a good choice of words. But, I guess it's a decent alarm. It's probably a really good alarm when you compare it to other OEM alarms. However, IMO (again, I only have limited knowledge since I'm not in the alarm field), it's kind of weak when you compare it to an aftermarket alarm.....that's why I used the word "crappy". I wasn't comparing it to other OEM alarms. I guess I wasn't being fair.....wasn't compare apples to apples.

You can definitely get a MUCH better alarm for the money......BUT, installing it is another question. Remember, INSTALLATION is the key. You have to find someone you can trust. And we all know that isn't an easy task.

I also hope this thread will help others make their decision. So, bottom line is, if you're lucky like me.....to know someone who is in the alarm field and who is ALSO a previous GS owner, and is trust worthy and has great work ethics, there is NO question that aftermarket is the way to go.

However, if you're paranoid (like me) and only want the best for your car......and want the job done right, but don't really know anyone to do that, the LMW system is the way to go. You can't go wrong with a 2 hour self installation.
you brought up some other very good points there man, installation is definitely a very big issue. as good an alarm you get, if the installation wasn't done right, it's going to worth next to nothing. and it's true that if you wanna do the isntall good, it's going to take a long time, taking things apart and finding all the required wires. i havent' done it before, but my good friend did and trust me it wasn't fun. so i can't agree with you more man

and very good point taken about the oem alarm too. as a whole the stock alarm is definitely weak, no doubt. i was just trying to say that instead of the alarm being weak as a whole in general, i think it's more like it's missing something (for example the sensor) to a good setup

oh and about my locks. well, if i keep them in the car, it kinda defeat the whole purpose of locks right?
Old 08-27-04, 08:53 AM
ikankoi
Driver

...waiting..
...waiting...
...waiting patiently...

and hey! waht happen to the sticky thing???? dont tell me they drop the project and the GB??????
Old 08-27-04, 05:09 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ikankoi
...waiting..
...waiting...
...waiting patiently...

and hey! waht happen to the sticky thing???? dont tell me they drop the project and the GB??????
The sticky was removed to help clean up the GS forum. I'm just waiting for LMW to finish up their new banners for Club Lexus. I hoping to start the GB on Sept 6th. The GB will be the remote start and shock sensor for all Lexus vehicles...
Old 08-27-04, 05:43 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
The sticky was removed to help clean up the GS forum. I'm just waiting for LMW to finish up their new banners for Club Lexus. I hoping to start the GB on Sept 6th. The GB will be the remote start and shock sensor for all Lexus vehicles...
Good to hear. Thanks for all of your work and efforts with getting this together Ken.
Old 08-30-04, 01:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by ikankoi
...waiting..
...waiting...
...waiting patiently...

yean no one is forgotten at all. hopefully things would be done soon
Old 09-08-04, 12:23 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Bump!

Still waiting!
Old 11-01-04, 08:15 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

I thought this was totally plug and play. I called LMW they said I need to strip 3 wires and solder. I didn't know that was plug and play?
Old 11-01-04, 10:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Stealther
Bump!

Still waiting!
patience is a virtue something happened, but it's going to come soon
Old 11-01-04, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Fisher503
I thought this was totally plug and play. I called LMW they said I need to strip 3 wires and solder. I didn't know that was plug and play?
well the cutting of wire is to tap into the signal. soldering is just to make sure the connection is good, you can skip it if you want. imho it's not the most trivial thing to do, you still have to take off door panels, take off the lower dash, etc... but it's a lot easier than some other stuff we have done to our cars
Old 11-02-04, 12:37 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Plug-n-Splice-n-Solder.

Originally posted by Fisher503
Yeah, I was under that same impression too. Untill I put the thing in. Remote start isn't too bad though. There was nothing plug-n-play about the shock sensor.
Will
Old 11-06-04, 07:57 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Alarm remote start

Men $299 thats a lot of money for a system that you can only start your car from a couple feet away for $100 more you can have a nice system that start from 1000 feet away and if the installer is not to lazy he can have both alarm work at the same time https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=139253
Old 11-06-04, 08:09 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok well iam still waiting for the group buy also i will be patient for them to perfect the kit iam going to go with the remote start and the shock sensor
Old 11-07-04, 08:00 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lexusondubs
ok well iam still waiting for the group buy also i will be patient for them to perfect the kit iam going to go with the remote start and the shock sensor
GB WILL happen next week (11-08-2004). I was just there over the weekend and all the wiring harnesses are finally done (built by hand). They were also waiting for the the shipment of DEI alarm sensors to come in.

angelslex: Let me clarify something here..... The remote start & alarm is not to compete with an aftermarket alarm. It's an add on to the factory alarm and wiring. Many people don't want installers ripping their car apart to have an aftermarket alarm system (with a huge amount of wires) put in. Another issue is the extra remote. Some people don't want that on their key chain. In regards to range, it's not Luxury Motorworks fault that the range sucks on Lexus cars. That's a Lexus issue, not LMW. Aftermarket alarms have their own frequency which is much stronger. But, why do you need to do a remote start from a 1000 ft away? Many times a remote start is done either from inside of the house or as you are walking towards the car...Finally, I will be suprised to see a viper/Apine alarm "installed" for $399. Most audio shops charge an addtional 4 hours labor for install on a Lexus vehicle. So depending on labor rates, you might as well add another $200 bucks.

Here's my point... If anyone wants all the bells and whistles for an alarm, then you will need to buy the Viper or Alpine alarm and have it installed by a professional. They are the big-boys in car alarms for protection and features. However, If you just want some added security to your factory alarm, or want a remote start using your factory key, buy the LMW products.

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 11-07-04 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: New Product Review: LuxLink Remote Start