GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS4 vs. XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-01, 01:24 PM
Overtaxed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was set on ordering a GS 430 next week. Then I test drove a Jaguar XJ8 today and now I'm not so sure anymore.

The dealer has a 2001 XJR (375 hp) with 4000 miles on it that I think I can get a very good price on.

I'm confused. What do you guys think?
Old 04-08-01, 02:02 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Remember, if you go with the Jaguar, it's going to cost you a whole lot of money for maintenance and repairs, and you're not going to get all that much more car for your money.

Lexus, on the other hand, gives you luxury, and performance, but won't cost you an arm and a leg when it comes time to do regular maintenance, or repairs. Also, Lexus has been rated #1 in customer satisfaction for many years. Jaguar/Ford has not been known to be good in that area.

Good luck in your choice!

C.
Old 04-08-01, 02:24 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

This may change your mind. About three weeks ago I am at the car wash and the car ahead of mine is a Jaguar S-Type. So their car comes out of the car wash and then mine does, but prior to mine coming out I see the wife of the driver making a stink about her car as she standing in the front of the car. I look closely and what is she holding in her hand, the poor little Jaguar emblem feel off the front of the hood. I had to laugh out loud at it too, never saw anything like that.
In addition to that episode, I have driven in front of a few Jags and their headlights are loose. They constantly shake in my rearview which is annoying since they aren't secure in their housing, very odd. If that says anything of the build quality, it's suspect. Best of luck in making your decision.
Old 04-08-01, 02:29 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink say it ain't so....

hello o/t,

xj8 is not bad; but i would still go for the gs-roomier, more reliable, money is probably a none issue. but in the long term, the gs would be a better value, imo.

if you are a big guy, wouldn't the gs be a little more comfortable?

if you are into mod, the gs has more goodies for you.
william
Old 04-08-01, 03:01 PM
Overtaxed
Driver

The thing is that modifying new cars has more or less been outlawed in Sweden. The new regulations leave a lot of room for interpretation but when the smoke clears I'm afraid that a simple thing like a 1 inch drop will be illegal.

Modifications are only allowed if the manufacturer has applied for approval of that specific mod and that is a costly process.

For me that speaks in the favor of Jaguar over Lexus since the XJR is a "sports car" out of the box.

Jaguar's reputation for quality hasn't been the best, to say the least. But I think that has changed dramatically the last 3 years or so.
Old 04-08-01, 03:12 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Default the best deal

i guess it all depends on the type of deal the dealer is willing to give it to you. isn't the XJR is alot more $$$ than the gs? just curious?
Old 04-08-01, 03:24 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

I had the XJR for a while yes it is a faster car but it feels like crap when your driving it the GS400 is alot more fun to drive and its alot more comfortable I didnt like the build quality of the jaguar at all its not like the old ones I had for 2 months before I traded it in for a BMW740i over all the lexus was the most fun to drive out of all of them the BMW had the most luxury and the jag. just sucked IMO
Old 04-08-01, 04:27 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I would take the XJR ANYDAY !! ... after my GS of course . The XJR is like in the mid 70k range I think. Though I think the design is boring except for the s-type.
Old 04-08-01, 06:13 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
I would take the XJR ANYDAY !! ... after my GS of course . The XJR is like in the mid 70k range I think. Though I think the design is boring except for the s-type.
Yeah that thing looks designed in the 60s. Man, seeing those on the street you can't tell if they're 2002 models or 1973 models. And they leak and things fall apart, man why settle for anything but the GS.
Old 04-08-01, 06:43 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sorry guys, but the XJR is a beast and for the prestige of ownership, I'll easily go with the Jag... If you can afford the car go for the Jag. The quality of the Jag has been great for the past 6 years though not Lexus great. I'm sure there is a factory warranty(you can also purchase an extended warr. for the next 6yrs up to 100,000 miles and the look is classic whew the interior is probably the best in terms of Connoly leather and chrome details next to Aston Martin/RR.

I love our beloved Lexus but a XJR is a very rare top notch automobile that has no true rival... As for a S-Type it shares the platform with the Lincoln LS it also uses more common materials and it is in league with the GS, E class, 5 series.. (GS4 is my favorite of that bunch...)

Go with the XJR!!! It's the type of car you can keep a life time because of the Exclusivity!!! You can always find a good deal on a GS...

Last edited by The Ikon; 04-08-01 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-08-01, 07:52 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Default Jaguar reliability

Guys,

Here's an excerpt, that addresses Jaguar reliability, from an article I just penned for the XK8.

"The luxury features and refinement of the Jaguar is, quite frankly, expected. What may be a surprise is its quality. The 2000 Vehicle Dependability Study by J.D Power & Associates provides an indication on the long-term reliability of manufacturers’ cars. The report, a study of the durability of 1996-model vehicles, ranked Lexus highest, and gave Jaguar a sixth-place finish in quality, an improvement from the 22nd position! In the firm’s 1999 Initial Quality Study 2, Jaguar achieved the number one rank surpassing Lexus, reporting 16% fewer problems per one hundred vehicles than the Japanese brand. This means trips to the Jaguar dealership is only for scheduled maintenance (no additional cost when under Jaguar’s comprehensive 4-year/50K-mile limited warranty, whichever arrives first). Moreover, Jaguar uses Nippon Denso electronics, the same reliable Japanese components found in the Lexus."

It seems Jaguar has come a long way.
Old 04-08-01, 08:44 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation like i said.....

it's all about the MONEY...

yah, if you can get the XJR for ~$50k, then for such element as exclusivity, is a good consideration for the amount you pay for. but if it would cost you over $55k, stay with the GS. just my opinion
Old 04-08-01, 09:14 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

These two cars are too different in terms of looks (sporty) To me the Jag. doesn't carry the sports looks that I look for in a 4dr. The only other car I was thinking about before getting the GS was the 540i which is a nice and sporty 4dr.
Yes, this Jag. has a 375+hp but I really don't think that this car will handle all that well. Good for straight runs but thats about it. Plus it doesn't carry that look that will make heads turn.
On the performance side, 0-60 is 5.4 which is slow for a V8 SC. compare to a stock GS4 which will do it in 5.9 from report. I personal think is faster but thats my 2 cent.
Get the Jag. if and only if you like the body design but not for the performance cause you can do more with the GS or a 540i.

Good luck and have fun with which ever one you end up getting.....
Old 04-09-01, 01:27 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

the jaguar XJR is a very strange car its fast I must admit when I had it not alot of cars out there could beat me of the line but it had the worst body roll ever the suspension was too light for it to be even comparable to a sport sedan , as soon as I hit around 130mph in that car it started floating around like a 90's chevy caprice would which was realy scary in that car considering the interior is so tight my 6'2" friend had a hard time just sitting in the car, its probably the worst sports sedan ever built ( NOTE: sport sedan ) if you are willing to spend $70+ on a sport sedan your number one choice IMO would be the BMW M5 yes we have alot of rivelry with BMW in this club but BMW M5 is probably the best sport sedan to ever come out in stock form ( NOTE: stock form the best sedan ever built is the the Renttech Mercedes E430 7.4L ) but anyways thats my 2 cens
Old 04-10-01, 09:15 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Wasnt Jaguar bought by Ford? or the other way around? When I am older and can afford one... i'd like one of the older model Jags.. not the new ones... I dont think the Ford/Jag thing has its prestige that it used to have... I'm not sure what model it is.. but one model of Jag looks exactly like a bigger version of the miata... sure.. nice car.. but I dont want a more expensive version of a (ford)mazda miata... Just my 2 cents...

another thing... Do you get loaners when your car is in the shop during services for jag? Or is it lexus that only does that?

Quick Reply: GS4 vs. XJ8