GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tiny rust spots in the inner trunk channels

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 03:21 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Tiny rust spots in the inner trunk channels

Does anyone have these? They are no larger than the size of a pin-head and are very faint, but the detail guy at my Lexus dealership says the inside of my trunk will be rusted through in 1-2 years. There are maybe 4 or 5 pin-sized spots on the inner trunk channel, just on the surface of the paint. Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-04, 04:23 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you take some digital pictures? It should not rust anywhere to my knowledge unless it was involved in some kind of accident, that it might bent the body frame.
Old 07-12-04, 04:50 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Here's a good shot of the spots. They actually don't look as bad as the close-up picture makes them out to be. Even if one of the rear quarter panels was refinished, why refinish the inside of the trunk? And, if the inside of the trunk was refinished, why the rust spots there and not on the outside of the car (which looks perfect)? Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

e-man
Attached Thumbnails Tiny rust spots in the inner trunk channels-dscn0489-resized-.jpg  
Old 07-12-04, 04:53 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Here's one more. Again, they look much worse in the pictures. Also, they are just on the surface of the paint. Couldn't someone just sand this stuff down and put some rust inhibitor on it? I really don't care how it looks inasmuch as it's the inside of the trunk. By the way, I am the second owner and the previous owner (who was the first owner) said the car had never been in an accident. He may have had the rear quarters refinished for cosmetic purposes, but to the best of my knowledge, there was no serious damage.
Attached Thumbnails Tiny rust spots in the inner trunk channels-dscn0487-resized-.jpg  
Old 07-12-04, 06:12 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to sound mean Eman but I do think you have to stop looking for problems. After reading all your post you sound like your never happy and that you always seem to look for a problem. I uster be like that myself and then I learned that I was becoming a pyscho and not to look for the negative. Now back to your question I would say that the spoiler was never put on rite and thats what caused the rust. I would say there was small leakes from the spoiler that was on your car or maybe the seal is bad. You would def know if that pannel was worked on.

Last edited by purebliss; 07-12-04 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-12-04, 06:22 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Purebliss:

I snickered when I read your post because my wife and friends say the same thing. At the same point, however, I really wasn't looking for this issue -- the detail guy at Lexus pointed it out to me today. So, I agree that I am always looking for problems (and that is very intuitive of you to notice that), but I truly wasn't looking for anything in this case. As for the spoiler being put on crooked, even if that did allow moisture to get into the trunk, that shouldn't cause the rust spots. Those channels in the trunk are meant to funnel away water and shouldn't be affected.

Oh, and one more thing about me always looking for problems -- isn't that at least one of the reasons for CL? Yeah, it's great when we can post pictures of the mods we do to our cars (like when I got the new trunk lid), but we are also here to discuss problems and offer solutions. Right?

e-man
Old 07-13-04, 07:25 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it is. I really hope you didn't take offense because I was the same way and I think I still am a bit. I don't know why!!!! This site lets me know I am not the only one!!!!!!
Old 07-13-04, 08:04 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

No. No offense taken. You're right on in your reading of me. As for the rust spots (or specks), I could care less about them, but I'm concerned that it could turn into a much bigger problem if I don't take care of it soon. I will drop by a local body shop and see if they have any suggestions. It seems that some light sanding and proper treatment should fix it, but I really don't know.