GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Eibach / H&R

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-01, 09:39 AM
GS_Perfection

Question

I new, I was just wonderin for those of you with the Eibach or H&R springs combo with aftermarket shocks(L-Tuned,KYB,Belstein). What combo would you recommend?

I have Racing Hart 18's 8.5-235/40 front & 18.9.5-265/35 rear

How is the ride quality?(bouncey ness, roughness, curves&turns)???

How many finger wheel gap does the car have after suspension mod?(front&rear)???

Your help with be greatly appreciated....Thanks.....

Old 04-09-01, 10:48 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EIBACH-1-1.25" drop
H&R - ~1.5"

hr might be a little firmer(for some they are harsher). both generate good response in curves and turns, more planted feel.

for either one, i HIGHLY recommend the BILSTEINS-one of the best sport shocks in the world with life time warranty. bilsteins is actually the OEM for toyota in europe.

if you want some best prices on the bilsteins, let me know. i sold some sets to members such as RACING ARISTO, he is quite happy.
Old 04-09-01, 10:49 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Default forgot one thing

if budget is a concern, steve at carson toyota can get you the l-tune shocks, they are more subtle, and yet effective.
Old 04-09-01, 11:41 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally like the Eibach/Bilstein combo. Does everthing it's suppose to do, but not too harsh. As Will said, use Bilstein with either spring.

If you go L-Tuned, go also with the matched L-tuned springs. There were previous discussions if the L-Tuned shocks are really sport shocks, and whether capable of handling the Eibachs or H&R's in the long term.
Old 04-11-01, 10:03 PM
GS_Perfection

Thanks....I'll most likely go with the Belsteins shocks but still undecided on the Eibach or H&R?

Are the belsteins adjustable????

A friend has a Supra Turbo with Eibach and Koni Shocks. He has a one finger gap front and rear. I want to look lowered. Some people say the eibachs are 1-in all around, 1.3, 1.25...etc. H&R I hear different thing also. A little confused at this point.

How many finger wheel gap is the eibach or h&r after installion?

Has anyone been in a Supra.(if So) How is the comparsion with your car setup. The ride quality is pretty good to me.

Sorry for the long post. Just in the
"Endless Pursuit Of Perfection"

Old 04-11-01, 10:36 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

firm ride-eibach, 1-1.25" drop

stiffer ride-HR, 1.5" drop

bilsteins, not adjustible. do you have ideas on the price for bilsteins shocks yet? let me know if you need them.
Old 04-11-01, 10:57 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
firm ride-eibach, 1-1.25" drop

stiffer ride-HR, 1.5" drop

bilsteins, not adjustible. do you have ideas on the price for bilsteins shocks yet? let me know if you need them.
GS4WILL:

What is your price for Bilstein shocks? Thanks.

Brent
Old 04-11-01, 11:19 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb to brent

brent,

check your private message box
william
Old 04-11-01, 11:49 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I've got the H&R/Bilstein Comba and couldn't be happier. I've got excellent handling without numbing my butt. I have no experience with Eibach, but I like the H&R's increased drop, the ride doesn't bother me, and I've heard they are actually of better build quality than the Eibach. I use my setup with the stock 17"s and Michelin All Weather Ultra High Performance XGT-Z4s (not the stickiest tires) and the GS still handles like it's on rails. I like the the setup because it suits my needs just fine. I'm not at the track everyday and wouldn't want anything firmer, so spending the extra $$$ on Teins wouldn't be practical in my case.

Brian

Old 04-12-01, 04:10 PM
RacingAristo

True that. That's why I was considering TEIN NA but not quite sure how stiff it is. TEIN NA isn't very popular in Lexus community but any input would be welcome.
Old 04-12-01, 04:34 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Brian S
I've got the H&R/Bilstein Comba and couldn't be happier. I've got excellent handling without numbing my butt. I have no experience with Eibach, but I like the H&R's increased drop, the ride doesn't bother me, and I've heard they are actually of better build quality than the Eibach. I use my setup with the stock 17"s and Michelin All Weather Ultra High Performance XGT-Z4s (not the stickiest tires) and the GS still handles like it's on rails. I like the the setup because it suits my needs just fine. I'm not at the track everyday and wouldn't want anything firmer, so spending the extra $$$ on Teins wouldn't be practical in my case.

Brian
Brian,

Do you have any problems going over speed bumps? Do you ever scratch the front undertray at all going into driveways?

The ride height looks perfect. I am just worried that because it is more lowered than the Eibachs, you run into some scraping problems...Thanks for any info.

Brent
Old 04-12-01, 11:58 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I've never scrapped on a speed bump. You have to watch the higher road and parking curbs. The shorter ones are okay, but the high curbs will scrape; I scrapped a few times after I got my new setup (good thing I have a black car - matches that polyurethane perfectly). You may scrape going up steep hills, etc - the regular stuff. It's not that dramatic, just a few places you need to watch for when it's 1.5" lower.

Brian

Last edited by Brian S; 04-13-01 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-13-01, 12:38 AM
di60da
Driver School Candidate

will it be fine if i only change my spring, without changing the shock?

thanx.
Old 04-13-01, 12:51 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Don't do it. Your stock shocks will wear quickly because they won't be able to handle the added stress of the greater compression. Plus, the car won't handle very well (possibly worse than stock). The shocks are half the equation in providing good handling. The aftermarket Bilsteins are made stiffer and handle the greater stress of the shorter springs. You can replace the only the shocks now, but you'll likely find yourself replacing the shocks in a few months after they wear out. Then you're at a loss because you'll have to pay someone again to take apart your suspension. Pick up the shocks and springs now. Installing shocks with new springs won't cost any more.

Brian
Old 04-13-01, 12:56 AM
di60da
Driver School Candidate

oooo i see....... ok, now i understand. by the way how much did u spend on ur bilstein shock?

thanx.......

Quick Reply: Eibach / H&R