GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Loud Noise from behind Dash/Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04 | 05:33 PM
ChaosOrion
Driver School Candidate

Default Loud Noise from behind Dash/Steering Wheel

A loud, high-pitched noise has started happening sparadically on my GS300. The noise seems to come from under/inside the dashboard behind the steering wheel column. And the best description would be

The noise would be similar and almost as loud as one of those personal safety alarms that are sold to ward off would-be muggers.

I checked all the belts, pullies, etc (the serp belt was new about 8,000 miles ago, as is the tension pully. The AC works fine, and clutch never makes any noise...the noise sounds like its near the Brake booster on the firewall, or actually inside the dash?????? I have worked in vain to make the noise happen, but it happens only when it wants to.

It started 3 weeks ago immediately when starting the car with a few bursts for a few seconds each, then stopped. It happened once after that, with one burst of sound. Today the sound started on the freeway and was continuous for about 3 minutes. I pulled over and turned the car off, and started the engine after 2 minutes, and the sound started again.

I Left car off for 10 minutes, and started the engine and the sound was gone.

The Brake light, and all engine/warning lights came on when the sound happened.

The car did not stop running, didnt loose power, the steering was working fine, and the brakes worked fine...

Does anyone know what this could be? Is there some hydraulic system that could cause this sound?

Please help!!!

Thanks - David
Old 07-14-04 | 05:56 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

Default weird

was your car preowned when u bought it , if so check for an aftermarket alarm with what is called a mini "piezo" siren, extremely loud usually dei product hooked up to aggrivate would be thieves, also check for stealth radar installed ................if your car was not preowned then i am clueless
Old 07-14-04 | 07:12 PM
ChaosOrion
Driver School Candidate

Default YES & NO

Yeah, I got it 1 yr old from a person I knew, didnt have an after market alarm installed. But I might just look to see if there is a piezo buzzer under there anyways, maybe Lexus has a factory one that is usually disabled ????? worth a shot, problem is the sound is very sporadic and quits as mysteriously as it starts, no warning, no other symptoms.

As for the sound, YES it sounds just like a Piezo-electric sound.

Lexus tried to tell me it must be the belt slipping...I know whata belt sounds like!!! hehe

Well, any other comments or ideas would still be welcom.

I bought a digital code - reader and there are no engine error codes - just to be sure.