GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

RE: ECU Location on my GS 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 10:07 PM
hdsr09
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ECU Location on my GS 300

Hello. I lost al the keys for my 1998 Lexus GS 300 Sedan. I need to remove the ECU that works with the car keys so I can send it in to be "flashed" and be reprogrammed so the company can program new keys to work with the ecu. Can someone please tell me where the ecu is located in my car, as well as directions on how to gain access to the ecu... HELP, My car is stuck in a parking garage until I can get this done!

BTW, The company that will do the work for me is www.transponderinnovations.com

Has anyone dealt with them before and have any info on their service quality?

Thanx! Shawn
Old 07-14-04, 11:33 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure, but I think its under the passenger carpet towards the dash. Like under where the passenger feet sit.

FYI, its been known that lexus will give you a new ECU and set of masters one time during the lifetime of the vehicle. You do have to call customer care though, the steeler won't do it without lexus telling them too.
Old 07-15-04, 01:17 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: RE: ECU Location on my GS 300

Originally posted by hdsr09
I lost al the keys for my 1998 Lexus GS 300 Sedan. I need to remove the ECU that works with the car keys so I can send it in to be "flashed" and be reprogrammed so the company can program new keys to work with the ecu.
And how are you going to get in without any keys?
Old 07-15-04, 09:00 PM
hdsr09
Rookie

I have the flat silver key that opens the door but doesn't start the car... I should've maybe specified that I lost ALL keys that can START my car to clarify... Now can someone PLEASE inform me on how to access the ECU that I need to send in to get reprogrammed so that it may accept new keys? I would GREATLY appreciate the help and insight... Shawn

BTW, What is the phone number for Lexus customer care? i called that 800-25lexus number, but it routes my call to my local Lexus roadservice guy here in Hawaii (I guess cause I called from an 808 number and it automatically sends me to the local roadside service rep automatically via the area code that comes up when you call them), and he was just going to transfer my call to my local Lexus dealer, which is not helpful, as my local Lexus dealer does NOT want to help me. BTW, My car is on Oahu here in Hawaii, but the car was originally bought from Cerritos Lexus in California, and I am the 2nd owner. Is there a specific number that I can call to be speak to a National Lexus Advisor who can help me with receiving the new brain and keys from my local dealer? HELP!

Last edited by hdsr09; 07-15-04 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-18-04, 11:23 PM
hdsr09
Rookie

Can anyone tell me where the ecu that works with your car keys is located in my car? HELP!
Old 11-26-12, 09:04 PM
elplebe707
Driver School Candidate

The main ecu is located at the front right side of the motor. The brake fluid deposite is right behine it. Three screws will need to be remove.
Old 11-27-12, 12:01 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Your looking for the transponder amplifier ecu. Here is the location on a diagram.

If you live near a good size town you should be able to find a mobile locksmith that can come out and do it on site for you.. It a pretty common thing, just call and ask if they have a Toyota key programming kit.

Old 11-27-12, 07:02 AM
kdick91
Driver

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Your looking for the transponder amplifier ecu. Here is the location on a diagram.

If you live near a good size town you should be able to find a mobile locksmith that can come out and do it on site for you.. It a pretty common thing, just call and ask if they have a Toyota key programming kit.

This is correct. This can be done on-site as long as you have proof of ownership (or in some cases, none haha). But if you're going to pull the ECU you should figure out which one needs to be pulled. IIRC, the main ECU in the engine bay wait for a signal from the BCM (I'm not sure what Lexus guys call it, but it is the body control module, it interprets the signal from the transponder in the key) and then once it gets its signal, it allows spark and fuel. I've only done this maneuver on F-Bodies, but that is as easy as measuring the resistance in the key and soldering in a resistor!

Hope this helps, though it sounds like 99 GS3 knows exactly what he is talking about.
Old 11-27-12, 07:09 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Too bad this thread is from 04! Lmao
Old 11-27-12, 07:11 AM
kdick91
Driver

Should have seen that
Old 11-27-12, 10:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by elplebe707
The main ecu is located at the front right side of the motor. The brake fluid deposite is right behine it. Three screws will need to be remove.
i like how your first post over is a completely dead 8 year old post..... lol. welcome to the club

Originally Posted by clos430
bwahahaha
Old 11-27-12, 02:40 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kdick91
But if you're going to pull the ECU you should figure out which one needs to be pulled. IIRC, the main ECU in the engine bay wait for a signal from the BCM (I'm not sure what Lexus guys call it, but it is the body control module, it interprets the signal from the transponder in the key) and then once it gets its signal, it allows spark and fuel. I've only done this maneuver on F-Bodies, but that is as easy as measuring the resistance in the key and soldering in a resistor!
The lexus guy would call it the Transponder Key Amplifier because that's what it is and that what holds the flashed rom. There are a bunch of bcm's, as there is a body module for most every function in the car. There is a Gateway module that routes the traffic between modules in a standard star topology so everything else still functions even if a module is bad or disconnected. (unless the gateway module dies of course)

The gs multilink system is far different from the f-bodies, and unfortunately a simple resistor does not defeat the system.

Originally Posted by sakataj
Originally Posted by elplebe707
i like how your first post over is a completely dead 8 year old post..... lol. welcome to the club bwahahaha
And to bump it for a first post with completely incorrect information on top.

The mysterious immobilizer system is ridiculously misconstrued on these forums, like John Titor himself decoded the i-ching beyond the novelty timeline end Terence Mckenna had previously calculated and then used that vast cosmic knowledge to develop the uncompromisable Toyota immobilizer system, then came back in time to present the impenetrable system to Toyota so that thieves would then only have two choices, they can either just steal your rims and stereo, or just tow it to the chop shop like the majority of car stealing operations work anyway.
Old 11-27-12, 03:43 PM
kdick91
Driver

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
The lexus guy would call it the Transponder Key Amplifier because that's what it is and that what holds the flashed rom. There are a bunch of bcm's, as there is a body module for most every function in the car. There is a Gateway module that routes the traffic between modules in a standard star topology so everything else still functions even if a module is bad or disconnected. (unless the gateway module dies of course)

The gs multilink system is far different from the f-bodies, and unfortunately a simple resistor does not defeat the system.

And to bump it for a first post with completely incorrect information on top.

The mysterious immobilizer system is ridiculously misconstrued on these forums, like John Titor himself decoded the i-ching beyond the novelty timeline end Terence Mckenna had previously calculated and then used that vast cosmic knowledge to develop the uncompromisable Toyota immobilizer system, then came back in time to present the impenetrable system to Toyota so that thieves would then only have two choices, they can either just steal your rims and stereo, or just tow it to the chop shop like the majority of car stealing operations work anyway.
I was aware of how different they are. The f-bodies are far more... ghetto. I just thought it was a comical comparison.

I do greatly appreciate your clarification. People like you are what make searching work!
Old 04-25-13, 10:39 PM
articmonke
Rookie

Originally Posted by clos430
to ****ing funny!!!!