GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Nav system, what's it good for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-01, 10:25 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Ok, sounds cool, but really, except for the occassional trip what good is it? I guess for wives but that is assuming they could figure out how to use it
Old 02-28-01, 10:29 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's good for nothing until you use it for a week. What once was a toy has simplified my life. ATM's, gas stations, restaurants, points of interest, rerouting for detours, etc. Unless you live in a tiny town and stay put it's worth every penny.
Old 02-28-01, 01:19 PM
Lakerholic

Thumbs up

Another added benefit that is rarely mentioned is that, you also get a Trip Computer with the NAV, so you can see things like how many miles to empty, how many MPG you are getting, etc. As far as I know, this is the only way to get the computer...

Overall, well worth it - unless my next car is a Porsche, I wouldn't buy a car without it - I thought of it as a gimmick at first as well, but once you get it and use it you realize things like finding the nearest ATM, gas station, short cut, all very helpful.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-01, 01:43 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Default jbrady - Comment about wives.......

<<I guess for wives but that is assuming they could figure out how to use it>>

Do I detect a chauvinist among us????

This is one wife that doesn't need some strong man to help me because I'm so little and frightened of technology...... Not all woman are wimps. You're obviously looking (or looked) in the wrong place!!!!

C.

Old 02-28-01, 03:43 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

LexusLady, I am only a chauvinist some of the time

Actually, I have to say that there are a few women that are better drivers than me (Lynn St. James comes to mind) and some women that are stronger than me (Olga something or other East German heavyweight weightlifting champion) and some that are more technically astute (Madam Currie) BUT for the most part women are not interested in gadgets or technical mumbo-jumbo. You should see my girlfriend TRY to be polite when I get going on my latest car craze.

Nevertheless, I figured I would get a response from you on the quoted line

BTW, how would you describe yourself...hot, pretty, cute, average, ok, plain, other? Us GUYS want to know...(can I get anymore chauvinist???)
Old 02-28-01, 05:51 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default haha

if her husband reads this ur gonna get an *** whopping Jbrady, i think i'm supposed get pissed at you for saying that (moderator), but its just too funny!
Old 03-01-01, 06:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

To paraphrase some commercial...

own one and you'll understand.

Nav system is GREAT. I'd say I used it about every other time I drive the car for some reason or other.
Old 03-02-01, 12:46 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Default jbrady

I'll forgive the chauvinism this time.....

I'm 5'4", weigh about 132lbs have long, dark-brown hair, big green eyes, and get my fair share of cat-calls. How would I describe myself? I consider myself attractive, and I'm one of those very natural woman - yes, I shave the legs and stuff, but I don't wear make-up, and I live in jeans. I don't like anything false - no fake nails, no fake ***** - Just me the way the good Lord made me. I also speak with a foreign accent and that always gets them going...... But like most woman (I think), I'd rather be known for my non-physical attributes: intelligence, sense of humor, loyalty, etc.

So, what about you Mr jbrady? I know you're around the same age as me (39 /40). How would you describe yourself???????

About the driving thing. My late father was a race-car driver in his early years, and he raised me with a love of fast cars. I enjoy driving, and I appreciate a fine machine. I have done 2 driving courses, both run by the Institute of Advanced Motorists (a british group), in defensive, and advanced driving skills. And judging by some of the monkeys that drive on the roads here, I'm a better driver than a lot of men!!!!

C.

Old 03-02-01, 02:53 PM
joedoe101

Thumbs down

Don't you think it gets way out of subject :-(
Old 03-02-01, 06:08 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Not at all - Could use it to go "cruizin' for babes".....
Old 03-02-01, 10:37 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Talking Oh My

This has got to be one of the most interesting topics so far...lol. This board cracks me up. I wish there were more interesting things going on at the RX board...I have to hang out here with the GS's. LexusLady, you sound like a great woman! Really, no sarcasm, chauvinism, or any other sort of negative *sm intended. The board is lucky to have you...you all here.
Old 03-03-01, 07:15 AM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Smile LexRX

Thank you!

This has been pretty fun hasn't it - I'm still waiting for jbrady to answer my question!!! Hopefully he'll come into the Lexus Lobby and fess up......

If you enjoy the silliness, come on into the Lexus Lobby yourself, I'm hoping that we can all have some fun while getting to know each other.

C.

Old 03-03-01, 08:08 PM
wixmith

Another overlooked advantage of Nav is it liberates you to go exploring. I often head off for a drive into the country and take any road that looks good. On the way, I use the Nav to keep me going in the same general direction and to avoid dead ends. I also use it to find small and unusual roads.

On the way home, I use it find the scenic route back. I ignore all its directions and let it re-route me as I take all the back roads. It's great because you never have to play it safe and stick to the roads you know.

The new DVD Nav is even more capable, though there are some "deprovements" from the earlier version.
Old 03-03-01, 08:10 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the NAV available in canada? i have yet to see a NAV equiped lexus (or any car for that matter) in canada.
Old 03-03-01, 08:14 PM
wixmith

My guess: Not available in Canada.

Quick Reply: Nav system, what's it good for?