GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What does it take for your alarm to go OFF??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-04, 11:32 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lexus GS3
Yes the STock alarm sucks. Its still a good system tho.. DOnt forget you got the vehicle immobilizer. As Romiln (Henry) sorry if i spelled you name wrong stated that you can get a baseball bat and start hitting the car everywhere or breaking the winshield or windows, stock alarm dont have shock sensors and it wont go off. He is totally right, but if you know a good alarm/stereo installer you can buy any aftermarket alarm sensor, get it intalled and it will work perfectly with you stock alarm. I did it on my car and it works perfectly.

Tommy
so what exactly did you do now, fill a brother in... i really dont want to have a seperate alarm key. did you just buy shock sensor with a brain for it or something?

Last edited by joshoowa; 07-21-04 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 11:48 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

i didnt install it.. My friend did.. He works at the car dealers installing alarms everyday. All i know he told me is possible and he did it for me. NOw my car has shock sensors. IT works along with my OEM lexus key.. Is just like having an aftermarket alarm. If i'm not wrong.. all he added was a shock sensor and tap it in the factory alarm wires. No need to buy an aftermarket alarm brain.

Tom
Old 07-22-04, 07:27 AM
HotBlue400
Pole Position

funny thing.. the way i found out about settin the alarm off by trying to unlock the doors from the inside.. my girl fell asleep in my backseat one night, and i couldnt wake her, so when i got out, for her protection, i hit the lock button on the key for the alarm. . well all i know is that 30 mins later she is callin me screaming and chit. i go outside and she is trapped in my car and cant get out. i laughed my *** off, she was sooo pissed.
Old 07-22-04, 09:45 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by HotBlue400
funny thing.. the way i found out about settin the alarm off by trying to unlock the doors from the inside.. my girl fell asleep in my backseat one night, and i couldnt wake her, so when i got out, for her protection, i hit the lock button on the key for the alarm. . well all i know is that 30 mins later she is callin me screaming and chit. i go outside and she is trapped in my car and cant get out. i laughed my *** off, she was sooo pissed.
haha that some funny stuff man...
i think the seat sensors have something to do with how the car is armed...because i could of sworn i armed my car with me in it and i just used the door lever to get out and nothing happened.
Old 07-22-04, 09:49 AM
HotBlue400
Pole Position

well she was in the back seat, i dont think there are any seat sensors in the back.. but, i have never tried it while in the front seat.
Old 07-22-04, 10:08 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by joshoowa
i think the seat sensors have something to do with how the car is armed...because i could of sworn i armed my car with me in it and i just used the door lever to get out and nothing happened.
There are no seat sensors front or rear. When you arm the car you still need to wait 30 something seconds for it to arm, so that's why nothing happened.

If HotBlue400 locked the car using the key remote, then the alarm was also activated automatically.

If his girl was in the car when it was armed, the alarm would set off as soon as she tried to unlock the door. She won't be able to get out cuz the door will lock as soon as she tries to unlock it. No matter how many times she tries to unlock the door, it will re-lock. She was basically a prisoner in the car.

The factory alarm does this because if someone breaks a window or slimjims the car to unlock the door, it will re-lock instantly and set off the alarm. The doors can't be opened when the alarm is triggered in this manner.

The factory alarm may not be very sophisticated, but this one feature is pretty good. Not even aftermarket alarms do this. The aftermarket alarms require that the door be opened to trigger the alarm. By that point the intruder is already in the car. With the factory alarm, the intruder would not be able to get in the car since the doors will not open if the alarm has been triggered.

This is why I did not dis-able the factory alarm when I installed my aftermarket alarm. The door re-lock feature would be lost otherwise.

Alexus-Kia, I think getting the shock sensor added to the factory alarm would be a great improvement on the factory alarm. Just like what Lexus GS3 has done. Then protection from breaking glass and baseball bats would be covered.

Car alarms are usually set off by amature theives by breaking a window. So if the alarm is triggered by the shock sensor, then they still won't be able to reach in and open the door !

Like I said, even an aftermarket alarm doesn't offer that feature.

If you look at the Sticky from LXOGOOD he talks about the Luxury Motor Works Lux link dual stage alarm. They are basically adding a shock sensor / radar system to the factory alarm as well. It will be offered without having to get the auto-engine start feature if you don't want it.

Also the next time someone is left inside a car, make sure they lock the door using the door switch, not the key remote since that activates the alarm with them still inside.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-22-04 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-22-04, 03:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by joshoowa
no sensors at all whatsoever. if you arm your car with the remote from inside the car, and still be able to get out by just unlocking the car from the door, get your car checked out at the dealership for sure
Old 07-23-04, 09:32 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

My experience is that shock sensors don't work very well though.

I set my aftermarket alarms dual stage sensor so that I had to pound pretty hard on the windows to get the warning chirps (not even full alarm). However, the next day, it went full alarm when a garbage truck drove by.

I would think that breaking a window would cause even less shock to be picked up than pounding on the window without breaking it.

With shock sensors, I think it's way too hard to find a balance between protecting from a smashed window and getting too many false alarms.
Old 07-23-04, 09:53 AM
Ditto
Pole Position

Originally posted by PhantomZX
My experience is that shock sensors don't work very well though.

I set my aftermarket alarms dual stage sensor so that I had to pound pretty hard on the windows to get the warning chirps (not even full alarm). However, the next day, it went full alarm when a garbage truck drove by.

I would think that breaking a window would cause even less shock to be picked up than pounding on the window without breaking it.

With shock sensors, I think it's way too hard to find a balance between protecting from a smashed window and getting too many false alarms.
I think it all depends on who makes your alarm. There are alarms that are more prone to false alarms. I used to have an Audiovox Prestige in my Accord, and it goes off in the middle of the night in my closed garage. I have a Viper and Clifford on all my cars now, and I have yet to have a false alarm. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Ditto; 07-23-04 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-23-04, 10:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Ditto
I think it all depends on who makes your alarm. There are alarms that are more prone to false alarms. I used to have an Audiovox Prestige in my Accord, and it goes off in the middle of the night in my closed garage. I have a Viper and Clifford on all my cars now, and I have yet to have a false alarm. My 2 cents.
i agree, a lot of times it depends on what shock sensors you get and where you install. i heard that the installer plays a big role in how good the final setup would be too
Old 07-23-04, 11:08 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rominl
i agree, a lot of times it depends on what shock sensors you get and where you install. i heard that the installer plays a big role in how good the final setup would be too
I've pretty much given up on shock sensors. I've had 3 different brands of alarms in my cars, the first a Clifford installed by Good Guys, 2nd a Crime Guard I installed, and 3rd a CrimeStopper I installed, and all the shock sensors have the exact same issue of exhausts setting them off much easier than pounding on windows.

In all cases, the shock sensors are zip-tied to the steering shaft underneath the dash.

Just getting comprehensive insurance with a $100 deductable is probably the best thing to do.
Old 07-23-04, 11:30 AM
Ditto
Pole Position

Originally posted by PhantomZX
I've pretty much given up on shock sensors. I've had 3 different brands of alarms in my cars, the first a Clifford installed by Good Guys, 2nd a Crime Guard I installed, and 3rd a CrimeStopper I installed, and all the shock sensors have the exact same issue of exhausts setting them off much easier than pounding on windows.

In all cases, the shock sensors are zip-tied to the steering shaft underneath the dash.

Just getting comprehensive insurance with a $100 deductable is probably the best thing to do.
It appears that it was a "drive thru" install.

I hope this is OK with forum rules, if not PM me and edit this posts.
Go to Sound domain's forum and asked for the moderator "IamMurph" and tell him the guy with a white Lexus GS referred you. He installed my alarm and is by far the best installer I have encountered. I know people that drive 600 miles just to to have him install it.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/u...?ubb=forum;f=9
Old 07-23-04, 12:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i don't know enough about alarm to give out too much info. but for norcal locals you can probably check with rmmgs4 and see what he thinks about install, etc...
Old 07-23-04, 12:17 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Ok guys so please tell me if this is the correct info i have gathered!!!!

I can keep the factory alarm and just add a alarm sensor or shock sensor?

Or i can buy a alarm and buy one with a shock sensor BUT i shouldnt disable the stock?

And just to clear something up,..... the shock sensor is if someone tries to brake the windows and stuff of that manor????

Please respond Asap..i need one quick!!

Thanks as always!!
Old 07-23-04, 12:33 PM
Ditto
Pole Position

Originally posted by Alexus-Kia
Ok guys so please tell me if this is the correct info i have gathered!!!!

I can keep the factory alarm and just add a alarm sensor or shock sensor?

Or i can buy a alarm and buy one with a shock sensor BUT i shouldnt disable the stock?

And just to clear something up,..... the shock sensor is if someone tries to brake the windows and stuff of that manor????

Please respond Asap..i need one quick!!

Thanks as always!!
What's your budget? If budget is not an issue, I'd just get a good aftermarket alarm and install it over the stock. That way, the alarm has a lifetime warranty (that's if you buy and have it installed by an authorized dealer) and you can pick alarms with features such as remote start, paging notification.
You can also add glass sensor, and battery backup and all kinds of stuff to an alarm. The installer is huge factor.
Don't disable your stock alarm.

Quick Reply: What does it take for your alarm to go OFF??