GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What does it take for your alarm to go OFF??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-04, 01:02 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it take for your alarm to go OFF??

hey guys..... quick question!

As i am adding additions to my car, i have a stock "alarm", i just need to know WHAT exactly does it take for the alarm to go off for example going to close to the car, pulling the handle, breaking a window, reaching in the window ect.......

2) I need to also know whould it be best to get a aftermarker on instead!
Please answer both questions if possible!

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Alexus-Kia; 07-21-04 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 01:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the stock alarm is passive, not active, no shock sensor. you can get a baseball bat and start hitting the car and nothing will go off

it goes off if someone opens the door, the hood, etc... if you want to try, sit inside the car, close the door, use the remote and lock the car. then try to manually open the door lock, there you go
Old 07-21-04, 02:07 PM
HotBlue400
Pole Position

my stock alarm is weird. if i hit the unlock button but dont open the doors, after like a minute it locks them again. anyone elses do this? is that a factory setting?
Old 07-21-04, 02:16 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally posted by HotBlue400
my stock alarm is weird. if i hit the unlock button but dont open the doors, after like a minute it locks them again. anyone elses do this? is that a factory setting?
That's normal - it assumes you pressed the unlock button on accident.

What I thought was cool about Toyota/Lexus anti theft is that if you unlock the door from the inside while it's armed, the car will lock itself immediately and activate the alarm.

Last edited by PhantomZX; 07-21-04 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 02:18 PM
blk on blk
Lead Lap

Smile

Short answer...yes & yes. You have nothing to worry about...I suppose it's an extra security option to ensure you don't just unlock your car and walk away.
Old 07-21-04, 02:54 PM
ddarbs55
Lead Lap

Default Re: What does it take for your alarm to go OFF??

Originally posted by Alexus-Kia
hey guys..... quick question!

As i am adding additions to my car, i have a stock "alarm", i just need to know WHAT exactly does it take for the alarm to go off for example going to close to the car, pulling the handle, breaking a window, reaching in the window ect.......

2) I need to also know whould it be best to get a aftermarker on instead!
Please answer both questions if possible!

Thanks!!!
Alexus-Kia, first off, the stock alarm is a waste. as Rominl already stated, it's passive. but that by
itself is not bad. what is bad is that it is very lame. my car lock has been broken 3 times and on one
occasion they got in. no sounding of the alarm since they disable it when they break the lock.
i strongly suggest getting an aftermarket alarm - especially if you plan on leaving it out overnight or
if you leave it in a risky area. mods attract theives.
-d.
Old 07-21-04, 03:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by PhantomZX
That's normal - it assumes you pressed the unlock button on accident.

What I thought was cool about Toyota/Lexus anti theft is that if you unlock the door from the inside while it's armed, the car will lock itself immediately and activate the alarm.
umm, actually even better, if you trigger the alarm, it locks the door 3 times a second. rate so fast that you can forget about trying to unlock the car again.
Old 07-21-04, 03:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

yes that's completely normal, a safety feature to lock the car again if you hit the unlock accidentally.
Old 07-21-04, 04:14 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So what kind/brand name aftermarket alarm have any of you installed to work with your stock alarm?
Old 07-21-04, 05:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by PHML
So what kind/brand name aftermarket alarm have any of you installed to work with your stock alarm?
imho, i never really like the idea of another remote control. the shock sensor system that luxury motor works are working on now, i am pretty interested in them. if that works out good, together with their auto start, i would be one happy customer with just my oem keys
Old 07-21-04, 05:34 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

ok...guys thank.....the stock alarm suck then....!!!??

Well if anyone knows any good/great alarms tthen please let me know!!!

Thanks!!
Old 07-21-04, 07:34 PM
Ditto
Pole Position

Don't count on the stock alarm on securing your car.
The first thing I buy after I buy a car is a car alarm. Don't install it yourself. (Unless you are a professional installer). An alarm is only as good as the installer. The brain of my alarm is well hidden, I have a multi- Piezo tweeter inside the car and a backup battery and the outside siren is so well hidden, your hair will turn gray until you find it. I also have a GPS tracker and the pager will also notify me if my alarm goes off. I usually add an autolock on high risk areas and turn the wheels. If the thief really wants to steal my car it will take awhile and count on using a hearing aide the next day because the inside sirens will take your ear drums with it.
Old 07-21-04, 08:13 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To add to what has been said, if you unlock with the remote, it will do as described. If you unlock using the hard button in the car (like when you get out), it will NOT relock itself.
Old 07-21-04, 08:43 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

ok...guys thank.....the stock alarm suck then....!!!??

Well if anyone knows any good/great alarms tthen please let me know!!!

Thanks!!
Old 07-21-04, 10:23 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes the STock alarm sucks. Its still a good system tho.. DOnt forget you got the vehicle immobilizer. As Romiln (Henry) sorry if i spelled you name wrong stated that you can get a baseball bat and start hitting the car everywhere or breaking the winshield or windows, stock alarm dont have shock sensors and it wont go off. He is totally right, but if you know a good alarm/stereo installer you can buy any aftermarket alarm sensor, get it intalled and it will work perfectly with you stock alarm. I did it on my car and it works perfectly.

Tommy

Quick Reply: What does it take for your alarm to go OFF??