GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2003 GS300 VS 2004 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-04, 05:26 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
Two different cars. I had a vette, the happiest day of my life is when I sold that piece of ****. The only thing it did that I liked was to smoke the rear tires, at $240 each. Let see, fuel injectors replaced, transmission replaced, 3 Bose speakers replaced, both headlight motors replaced, intake manifold leak, air bag sensor replaced, master cylinder replaced, *** beating ride, never could get the shimmy out, cd player replaced, it had 50K miles on it, never wrecked. The only good thing was it depreciated the least of any car that I owned. I hated that POS. I find someone that has purchased more than one in their lifetime and I am talking to a dumbass!!!!!

Lexus GS300 = annoying little noises. Comfortable ride, *** freezing AC (I live in Houston), no shimmy, perfect brakes. Yes it is slow compared to a vet but that is it. Easy to get in and out of. 6 way power seat. The vet has manual recline. Extremely safe car in a wreck.
XYZLexus1 thanks for not holding anything back
Old 07-22-04, 06:04 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ditto
Here's a vette for about $1,000

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=163665337
too clever.
this is an interesting thread because i really like the vette...especially the Z06. before i bought the GS i considered buying a vette but figured i'd buy the GS and keep modding the TT Stealth. and trust me, it holds it's own again against vettes, stangs, Z's, supra's, etc., etc. but there is something about the looks of the vette that really separate it from other sportscars IMO.
maintenance was a big consideration though (especially since i've dumped a TON of $$ into the stealth over the years) and i figured the GS was a better way to go since i get a sporty and classy 4-door w/ a smooth V8 and a GREAT reputation for reliability and luxury. i'm not ruling out a vette in the future but for now i think the GS was a better move for me.
jd
Old 07-22-04, 06:05 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Actually, My GS400 is the first car where I got a rebate on my insurance because the vehicle is so safe.
Old 07-22-04, 06:15 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

I would hold out for the next vette body If I were really serious about owning one.
Old 07-23-04, 04:59 AM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

As already mentioned, they are totally 2 different cars.

In addition to my GS300, I own a 2000 Vette. Contrary to what some people are saying, or have said, this is one sick car.

Right now, you can get crazy deals on 04's. Also, you can real good deals on some low mileage pre-owned. If you get a chance, and havnt already, check out corvetteforum.com. There are supporting dealers that are active members on there. Many forum members have bought cars from these guys. In many instances, the local dealers cant even come close.
Old 07-23-04, 05:21 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

92 TT 300ZX SHOWCAR on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6398

2000 Lotus Esprit Turbo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6312

97 Supra with 400+RWHP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6447

ETC, ETC
Old 07-23-04, 05:24 AM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Thanks for all of your replies guys. I know that the Lexus represents total quality and refinement, but that's not what the Vette is all about. The Vette is about sheer brute perfomance with luxury as the secondary thought. The newer Vette's are great. Comfortable, yes a harsher ride than a Lexus, but that is to be expected. As stated, they are two totally different cars.

You're right about the crazy deals right now on the Vettes. I did buy a new 2004 Vette last night. 2004 convertible, commemerative edition, LeMans blue, shale top, shale interior, 6SPD, magnetic ride control, traction control, vehicle skid control, dual zone climate control, cd, power everything, polished aluminum rims...etc. The best part...Sticker $57K. Sale price $42.5K. I've owned a Vette before, so I know that I'll love it...some do, some don't. I can always go back to a Lexus when I'm ready.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-23-04, 05:50 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Congrats on the buy, but do us fellow previous Corvette owners a favor and let us know how the car holds up mechanically and financially in case we find ourselves in the same position in the future. I would really like to hear about a good experience for a change to renew my faith in Chevy and specifically the Corvette.

Sounds Beautiful!

Old 07-23-04, 05:56 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You got a heck of deal, are you sure it is a convertible for that price? Convertibles always hold their value. On a side note, if you want an extended warranty surf the net, and you can buy a GM warranty over the internet and save alot of money as compared to your local dealer. On our Envoy we saved $500 on a GM major guard we purchased through a GM dealer in Pennsylvania, all the paperwork came from GM so I know it is legit. The only problem with the Envoy extended warranty is I fear I will never use it, the vehicle with all options it the best car/suv we have ever owned.

Good luck with the Vett, the only two things my did consistently right was roast the rear tires and look good, it was also a convertible. I am sure you found corvetteforum.com, if not, check it out, they have more activity than this board.
Old 07-23-04, 06:12 AM
zerovise
Rookie

www.mkiv.com

want a fast reliable sports car? check that. I just sold mines...*smacks head* but anyhoo, the car was awesome. Car is amazingly fast...and it's sexy. of course this is very biased cuz i love that car lol. the choice is yours. I personally am going to get a gs300 cuz the supra's maintenance was steep for me. Any sports car's maintenance is going to be higher. esp if the car calls for the WOT...gogo gas! in hawaii gas prices are like 2.50 almost for premium lol. sux ;P
Old 07-23-04, 06:33 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After you guys get done playing with corvettes and supras I suggest you vist Superformance Cobra in New Orleans. There you can purchase a factory assembled 2300 lb AC Shelby Cobra replica. These are not your cheap home made cars. The body is built in Austrailia and shipped to the US. It is than fitted with a Ford Racing Engine, 428 Cobra Jet, 600 hp at the flywheel, dynoed at the rear wheels at 525HP. I have driven a couple of these cars and you have no idea what fast is until you drive one, these scolded apes will get the two rear P285 tires to break loose shifting into third at 65 mph. One thing about these cars is you can pound them everday of the week and they will not break. The cost is reasonable at 50K and they hold their value extremely well. The downside is they are not dailey drivers, they have no roof, but completely legal to drive on the road. Make sure you take your ear plugs, the sound comming from the side pipes will make your head hurt. Remember 2300lbs with 525 horsepower, a Miata weighs 2300lbs so imagine putting in a 525 hp engine, welcome to Cobra country.
Old 07-23-04, 08:35 AM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up new vette...

CONGRATS on the purchase. ENJOY!!!
jd
Old 07-23-04, 09:26 AM
Ditto
Pole Position

That's an awesome deal you got you on your vette. Congrats.

I'm not a big sports car person, but if I had to pick one, my dream sports car is the Saleen S7
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2485069712

It costs almost as much as my house though. Too much dough for me. Hmmm, I can always go to Toys R US and get me a model.

Last edited by Ditto; 07-23-04 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-23-04, 09:39 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally posted by Ditto
That's an awesome deal you got you on your vette. Congrats.

I'm not a big sports car person, but if I had to pick one, my dream sports car is the Saleen S7
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2485069712

It costs almost as much as my house though. Too much dough for me. Hmmm, I can always go to Toys R US and get me a model.
Nah, I bet there arn't many mods for it...

Old 07-23-04, 10:16 AM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Thanks guys. I know that I'm going to enjoy it. I can't wait to pick it up at 2 and drop the top! I loved my first one and hope to love this one to....I can tell you one thing though, I've never owned another car as well engineered as the Lexus though. I will miss that tomb like quietness and the complete satisfaction of riding in the Lexus. Oh well, I'm going to have fun all the same!

Quick Reply: 2003 GS300 VS 2004 Vette