GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can you have fun in a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-04, 08:36 AM
Magyver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you have fun in a GS?

I've been thinking of getting one for a while. I was going to keep my Z28 and have the Lexus as my daily driver. However I maybe getting a bike and owning 2 cars with a bike I just can't do b/c of where I will be living for the next 2 or 3 years. I can't keep using my z as my daily driver, but the car is fun as hell for the 1/4 mile and for Autocrosses. Do any of you guys ever participate in any of these events? I don't plan on doing to much to the car. I want a GS400 most likely b/c of the horses it already has and maybe in a year or so if a Turbo kit is available I will get one for more power. My z put 315 to the wheels and with my 75 shot on top of that I have quite a blast at Moroso.However I haven't been going too much to the 1/4 mile b/c it is an hour drive. I stick to autocrossers more now and it is fun as hell. Can I have fun in a GS at the autox?

Also tell me what I should be looking for when I purchase a GS400. What should I look out for and what are good prices for a 2000?

With Beemers wheels and before I put clear corners and new fogs on.

Old 07-25-04, 09:09 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

hey welcome to the club and to the south florida "commission" known as south florida gs mafia..

your z28 looks really good ,, i like the silver color and the billet lower grill area..

as far as the gs being fun to autocross or even to be aplayer on the hwy at safe time of course , a revamping of the susp is required , in stock form you will be all over the place.

you need a decent set of shocks/springs or better yet if money permits a good coilover sys

you MUST have the complete toms brace kit front lower control brace, rear 6 piece links and rear lower coontrol brace

you need front and rear upper strut tower bar (i prefer either rod millen or cusco ) for they are hinged allowing more compliance within susp travel

you Must change sways to either daizens (highly recc for better ride comfort) or trd for ultimate track like

of course last is at least upgrading to 18or 19 in stagg setup

maybe at one of next meets you come on down and take a ride with me in "space mountain" as most who have driven with me describe my handling..

in fact just last night around 12midnight coming home from work ,took on a boosted civic and the look on his face was priceless when he could not shake me off his bumper in every manuver then blowing past him at 120mph plus..mind you his civic running boost was dumped to the ground..

good luck to ya and dont hang around here to often after getting your whip or you will go broke quickly..
Old 07-26-04, 02:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, in short, i think if you get a gs4, willing to spend quite some money on it, it's going to be a fun car to drive. stock form the handling is horrible, not good at all. but modded it's a beast. imho the gs4 is too much for autcox. it's probably a good candidate for track if modded our right, but autox might be too tight for the car. it will still do pretty decent, but probably not spectacular

of course in return you get comfort, which is something you can't ask for in the camero imho