GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP Noise comming from driverside wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 11:03 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOT MY BALL JOINTS DONE!!!

i got my balljoints done............and the knocking noise is still there!!

I have come to the conclusion that it makes the noise when i press the brakes or as i press the brakes...any new thoughts!!!????

Please this is getting on my nerves!!

Thanks
Old 08-10-04, 11:06 PM
Pr3ttyboi
Driver School Candidate

Default hey wassup man

I have the same noise that you had but it okay. I ask most of the Lexus pro they said if come from your break. But its okay because most of the lexus have it. its nothing to worry about
Old 08-10-04, 11:15 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

but i didnt have it b4 i had my car for 5 months and it just started when i put my new wheels on!

i went to over 5 different places to have my car looked at and no one can tell me what it is!! i asked was it a bent brake Calipers and they said no!

i can hear it inside and out!

Last edited by Alexus-Kia; 08-10-04 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-11-04, 03:19 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kia you mean bent brake rotors
Old 08-11-04, 03:32 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kia, if you are down to drive to NY, you can go to my buddy Jeff at www.maximumtuning.net

He's Lexus certified (worked at a Lexus dealer in NY for 5 years mostly on GS's) as well as ASE Certified

He fixed my noises as I had creaking and clunking which turned out to be my strut mounts and ball joints.

IMO, he can tell you instantly what the problem is, as there isn't much to a suspension. SInce you replaced your ball joints, it can only leave the actual struts, springs, control arm, wheel bearings,

I would go to him, as he knows this car like his own supercharged maxima

Give him a call and tell him Heath sent ya!
Old 08-11-04, 06:22 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My first guess if I read your post correctly is the anti-rattle clips in your brake shoes may be damaged or missing from prior brake work. Did you get a refund for the ball joint work? since it was not the cause of the noise.

Struts fail like bad shocks, they will feel alot of bouncy feeling. Sometimes you will notice oil around the strut shaft where it is leaking out. They do not make a noise when they go bad.

Wheel bearings make a howling sound, or sometimes a clicking sound. If they were bad enough to make a knocking sound it would be obvious when you jacked up the car and spun the tire.
Old 08-11-04, 06:46 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
Struts fail like bad shocks, they will feel alot of bouncy feeling. Sometimes you will notice oil around the strut shaft where it is leaking out. They do not make a noise when they go bad.

Wheel bearings make a howling sound, or sometimes a clicking sound. If they were bad enough to make a knocking sound it would be obvious when you jacked up the car and spun the tire.
not true bro....struts CAN make noises, just before they are about to fully blow. Blown struts do leak oil like crazy, which is true....but struts can be blown, without being FULLY blown, if you follow me.

also, sounds are subjective. What is a clunk or squeal to me, can be a howl or screech to you.
Old 08-11-04, 06:57 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

If the strut is completely blown where all the oil is gone it is possible they will clunk, but the car would be so "loose" it would be hard to drive.
Old 08-11-04, 10:01 AM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Ok......now one person said my brake clips were a little worn when i get my brakes done again have them change that BUT didnt think that was the "clicking/knocking"!

so some suggestions from you guys was it could be:

my struts springs, control arm, or wheel bearings,

There is no boucing feeling i dont see any oil leaking

and someone commented about the wheel bearings will make noise when the wheel is spun but when they spun the wheel no knocking sound!

i didnt get a refund on the on the ball joint because they still needed to replaced i was shown by they did it by another shop*
Old 08-11-04, 01:31 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

I believe the ball joints are integrated into the control arms so if your ball joints were replaced you can eliminate control arms. I may be incorrect though.
Old 08-11-04, 04:12 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
I believe the ball joints are integrated into the control arms so if your ball joints were replaced you can eliminate control arms. I may be incorrect though.
you are partially correct bro....the control arm has ball joints, UPPER ball joints. The LOWER ball joints are probably what she had replaced, as the control comes with the upper ball joints already attached
Old 08-17-06, 12:26 PM
LextacyGS4
Lead Lap

I know its been 2 years, but if youre still trying to figure it out I did. I had the noise come about a month ago and was told recently that its the upper ball joint. As he moved it that same noise was there. The problem is, the upper ball joint can only be purchased with the control arm, price $460 for the part and 1.5H labor at Maximum Tuning.
Old 08-17-06, 03:32 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by LextacyGS4
I know its been 2 years, but if youre still trying to figure it out I did. I had the noise come about a month ago and was told recently that its the upper ball joint. As he moved it that same noise was there. The problem is, the upper ball joint can only be purchased with the control arm, price $460 for the part and 1.5H labor at Maximum Tuning.
i said that it was the ball joints in my first post !!!
Old 08-17-06, 05:51 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I was gonna rag kia for 20 inch spinners on stock suspension until I noticed it was 2 years ago.
I'm sure she's come to her senses by now.
Old 08-17-06, 06:34 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by chuckb
I was gonna rag kia for 20 inch spinners on stock suspension until I noticed it was 2 years ago.
I'm sure she's come to her senses by now.
lol chuck you better be careful i know kia she will rag back !! LOL

Quick Reply: HELP Noise comming from driverside wheel??