GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP Noise comming from driverside wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 08:05 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP Noise comming from driverside wheel??

Hi,

my car has been making a knocking noise comming from my driverside wheel area! i dont know what it is and have brought it to 3 different shops including the dealership and none can tell me what the problem is!
NOW i have 20" wheels on the car w/spinners (please no negative coments on this) so i tried taking off the spinners..still knocks, tried putting the stock wheels back on..still knocks!

I dont know what to do.....!

The sound isnt always doing it, some times when i go up or down a hill sometimes when i'm just driving it knocks about 5-10 times u can hear it on the inside of the car and outside of the car.

If anyone can tell me...or might have a clue why or what the cause of this is and why noone could tell me?!

Total Shop the car went to=3 Totsl People that looked at the car=7

No one could help!!!

Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-04-04, 08:59 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: HELP Noise comming from driverside wheel??

Originally posted by Alexus-Kia
Hi,

my car has been making a knocking noise comming from my driverside wheel area! i dont know what it is and have brought it to 3 different shops including the dealership and none can tell me what the problem is!
NOW i have 20" wheels on the car w/spinners (please no negative coments on this) so i tried taking off the spinners..still knocks, tried putting the stock wheels back on..still knocks!

I dont know what to do.....!

The sound isnt always doing it, some times when i go up or down a hill sometimes when i'm just driving it knocks about 5-10 times u can hear it on the inside of the car and outside of the car.

If anyone can tell me...or might have a clue why or what the cause of this is and why noone could tell me?!

Total Shop the car went to=3 Totsl People that looked at the car=7

No one could help!!!

Thanks guys!!!
hello miss kia..... spinners aye j/k is sounds like you have a bad ball joint that needs replacing does it make noise when driving over bumps ???
Old 08-04-04, 09:01 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

dont listen to shawn we. all know he is an a** when it comes to spinners... LOL
however his theory could be correct.

Last edited by 00lexondub; 08-04-04 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-04-04, 09:03 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally posted by 00lexondub
dont listen to shawn we. all know he is an a** when it comes to spinners... LOL
however his theory could be correct.
LMAO too funny rick HA HA
Old 08-04-04, 09:52 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

lexusondubs on dubs is my buddy,

But u know what someone did say that my right and left balljoint and my passenger control arm has to be replaced BUT DIDNT SAY THAT WAS THE PROBLEM or that it would even fix the problem... it was "maybe"

no only makes noise when i'm driving....but not over bumps

Thanks guys!!
Old 08-04-04, 10:06 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

kia anything to help a Lexus WOMAN comming through, So get out of my way.......
Old 08-04-04, 11:01 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is your car dropped

did you get aftermarket shocks

did they check your stock shocks

johnny

maybe thinking a shock bottoming out

did this happen before the spinners ???

might be ball joints
Old 08-04-04, 11:07 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally posted by T.L.W.
is your car dropped

did you get aftermarket shocks

did they check your stock shocks

johnny

maybe thinking a shock bottoming out

did this happen before the spinners ???

might be ball joints
johnny her car is not dropped and there is no aftermarket suspension i said ball joints also

Last edited by lexusondubs; 08-04-04 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-05-04, 04:43 AM
zerovise
Rookie

i had this problem just yesterday while i was driving on the road. I could feel it in the steering wheel and throughout the car. What happened i think was a rock went somewhere up there in the suspension/wheel (i honestly thought i had a flat). So something was up there, and a little more down the road there was a big BADONK or some kind of very loud awkward clunking sound that stopped the thumping sound of the tire (assuming that it was the tire lol). After that loud awkward noise, i thought i was going to die, but the car drove smooth with no problems after that. It's been about a day since the problem and i see no problems. Only thing that really happened was the skipping of the stock CD changer. that's about it. It would be awesome if you figured it out so that we could prevent this from happening again.

as a conclusion to my story, i think a big rock got stuck somewhere up there in the tire or something and then i hit a bump and it flew out. That's my assuption. good luck!

-tyler
Old 08-05-04, 07:56 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a TSB on the coil springs needing special pads. It is easy enough to check a ball joint if it is good or bad. Check alldata.com
Old 08-05-04, 08:54 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Coil Spring (Front) - Clicking Noise on Bumps
SUSPENSION
SU004-02

June 7, 2002

Title:
FRONT COIL SPRING CLICKING NOISE

Models:
'01 - '02 GS 430/300

Introduction
To eliminate abnormal noise from the front coil springs, a self-adhesive urethane tube has been adopted on the lower coil of the front springs to prevent metal to metal contact between the lower coil spring and the spring support (mounted on the strut) when driving over bumps.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2001 - 2002 model year GS 430/300 vehicles produced before the VINs shown below.

Production Change Information

Parts Information

Required Tools & Material

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty *:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Repair Procedure

1. Cut the coil spring insulator to about 50 mm (2 inch) lengths (see Figure 1). The repair will require only two lengths, one length per spring.

2. Remove the front coil springs from the strut assembly following the Repair Manual procedures.

3. To ensure good adhesion of the pressure sensitive glue on the inner surface of the insulator, clean the spring with a suitable solvent in the area where the insulator is to be installed.

4. Protect the shaded portion of the coil spring using the cut length of the coil spring insulator (see Figure 2).

Copyright © 2004 ALLDATA LLC
Old 08-05-04, 10:24 AM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i do have bad ball joints on that side but is anyone sure that is the problem????

they want $85 for each part plus 2.5hours of labor at lexus!

Thanks

(Shawn knows alot of info about my car)
Old 08-05-04, 11:10 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

No, the ball joint will not make the noise. Remember the weight of the car is on the ball joint. Your wheel would have to leave the ground and come back down for a noise to occur. Unless you are jumping ramps this is not happening. I have just replaced a bad ball joint on my a Park Avenue, it was so bad it would move a 1/4" in the socket, never made a sound though. The noise was actually a bad wheel bearing and was a whirling noise.

My first guess would be the TSB on the coil springs. What is the play on your ball joints, is your boot ripped? how did it go bad, I am skeptical it is bad at best.
Old 08-05-04, 11:15 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Next time it makes the noise, lightly depress your brake, not enough to stop the car, just enough for the shoes to touch the rotor. Is it possible your brake shoes are rattling in the caliber. When is the last time the brakes were replaced. This is not a difficult find, the three shops you have taken it to are incompetent including the dealer.

Could this possibly be the sway bar. There was a TSB on loose sway bar also. I found two of my bolts loose.

Is there anyway the feder skirt is loose in the wheel well?

How classic they find the ball joint and not the problem. Do not replace your ball joints, how do you know they are bad? because the idiots that could not find this problem says so? How are they right on that issue but cannot find this issue?
Old 08-05-04, 01:43 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally posted by Alexus-Kia
yeah i do have bad ball joints on that side but is anyone sure that is the problem????

they want $85 for each part plus 2.5hours of labor at lexus!

Thanks

(Shawn knows alot of info about my car)
yes i do hott stuff LOL

Quick Reply: HELP Noise comming from driverside wheel??