GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Contemplating the unthinkable...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 09:56 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Contemplating the unthinkable...

At work today my friend dropped off a recent issue of AutoTrader. Now nothing spectacular until i got bored at work and started looking at the pictures and posters of the way i want my GS too look. Like the poster for Lsportline, it graces one of my cube walls. Gives me something to aspire while i pound the rock every day. Anyways back to my point. I was just daydreaming and the notion of getting rid of my GS crossed my mind. For a while I started seriously considering it. Now im Contemplating it. On my drive homw about 35 miles, i turned off the radio and thought about it some more. Im not a rich guy so making payments is my thing. Somtimes i look at a $480 payment and start sweating because my Camry payment was $250 and i only had like 2 grand left to pay it off. right now, im $6 grand in parts for my GS that havent even arrived yet. if i sell the car i cant just buy another GS, that would be pointless. especially considering that i would be getting rid of this one to kill my car payments. But i was looking around and i dont like what i see and i dont really want to get rid of my GS. Its my Baby. its the car that ive wanted since i was in HS. But for some reason i think i may have Jumped into the deep end. But hey i can swim so its cool. Money really isnt a big deal, i pull in enough to cover the payment, so im not worried, its just every 5th, i kind of think about selling the best car ive ever had. whats your opinion on this??? Mods feel free to move to Car Chat if needed, but i posted here because this is my GS bretheren. Those who havent driven a GS, just dont know... "its a GS thing... you wouldnt understand."
Old 08-04-04, 10:10 PM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If you find yourself thinking about being on the short end, when it comes to money, I would sell. It's a great feeling to have a GS, but it would be a better feeling knowing that debt free and you've got $$ going into more important things like savings, 401k, mutual funds, etc..

Last edited by rodel; 08-04-04 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-04-04, 10:12 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Not really feeling on the short end. If i had any problems paying for it, i would sell it. Just crazy thoughts. 401k Set up last week WOO HOO!!! I just hate making that big of a transfer every month for the next 4 years.
Old 08-04-04, 10:16 PM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's put it this way...u could pull in enough money, but I'd rather be on a floating mattress, relaxing, than swimming to to stay afloat.
Old 08-04-04, 10:26 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

hmmm good analogy.... staying afloat inst really a problem. im always afloat. Just underestimated you guys on analogies... thats a good one. lets say, i have the raft, and its halfway full. everymonth it gets more full. just not relaxing yet. I guess. I think i just confused the hell out of my self in the process.
Old 08-04-04, 10:32 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey iam in the same boat 2 people from lexus of clearwater [employees] asked me if i wanted to sell my car iam honestly i have been giving it some thought i would probably get a gs430 but i just dont want the aggervation of chasing down all the parts again ad reinstalling them so iam in limbo right now i cant even sleep over this it has been bothering me that bad
Old 08-05-04, 05:20 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

you guys have way too much time on your hands .. keep your cars , work smarter not harder and enjoy life.. man life is way too short and precious not to enjoy it and live it to the max..

running my real estate business for 15 yrs did teach me one thing,,, pay yourself first
Old 08-05-04, 05:49 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Yupo Ed is correct, always pay yourself first. My uncle told me that a long time ago and I have always lived by that.
As for selling the GS, I too have been thinking about changing it up a little. I dont know what it is but I am just bored with my car right now. I may be crazy but I think I would like an SUV oor something. Ah I hate wondering thoughts.
Old 08-05-04, 05:57 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I think you are in the same boat as my brother, pretty much. he has always purchased his cars for cash, but recently he picked up a 2000 LS400. So its kinda like your situation, sounds like you went from the note on a 12k car to the note on a 25k car and its a change. Car salesman always say "its only a extra hundred, etc" but that makes a big difference EVERY month.

I can't honestly say what you should do, just realize that the perks that are afforded by driving a luxury vehicle are accompanied by costs!

Enjoy your car man, I hope you figure everything out.
Old 08-05-04, 06:33 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If you like the car so much, keep it, pay it off as fast as you can, and keep it until it falls apart. You won't achieve financial independence by continually trading up to bigger and bigger car payments.
Old 08-05-04, 01:26 PM
ias
Pole Position

the more you make the more you spend.
Old 08-05-04, 01:40 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

dont sell ure regret it!

just keep it.. it is only about A hundred $$ extra a month

save that 100$ from else where ....
Old 08-05-04, 01:47 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u can afford it keep it, if having a gs is what u always wanted keep it, it will put a smile on your face everyday when u drive it. u only live once.
Old 08-05-04, 01:56 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

oh! i just thought of sumthin!

Refinance ....

with a credit union.... youll get a lower intrest rate.... And.. itll lower your monthly payment... by like .. $50 to a 100$...

theres your solution ... yeah yer welcome
Old 08-05-04, 06:18 PM
onesicgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by CamRen
oh! i just thought of sumthin!

Refinance ....

with a credit union.... youll get a lower intrest rate.... And.. itll lower your monthly payment... by like .. $50 to a 100$...

theres your solution ... yeah yer welcome
or refinance to pay for more mods!... haha..

Quick Reply: Contemplating the unthinkable...