GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

WOW - Torque Converter Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-04, 03:38 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,
I only just came across your thread. Excellent feedback.....this is exactly what I want to hear. The TC is working out great for you and I can not wait to get mine installed, especialy after what I went through.

Anyway, I plan on heading down to SRT during mid week of Aug 16th. Will definately share numbers on my TC install and G-meter readings.

BTW, it's that video clip of the post TC install that made me order mine! After seeing that GS put down those 2 rows of rubber I knew that it was finally time for me to get mine.

Last edited by DrewGS4; 08-09-04 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-09-04, 03:52 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Chris,
I only just came across your thread. Excellent feedback.....this is exactly what I want to hear. The TC is working out great for you and I can not wait to get mine installed, especialy after what I went through.

Anyway, I plan on heading down to SRT during mid week of Aug 16th. Will definately share numbers on my TC install and G-meter readings.

BTW, it's that video clip of the post TC install that made me order mine! After seeing that GS put down those 2 rows of rubber I knew that it was finally time for me to get mine.

Drew, after reading your comment about the TC having the wrong threading on it, I am now concerned about my TC which I will be getting very soon. I sure hope this does not happen to me!
Old 08-09-04, 04:01 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Hameed, I think that was a fluke. I asked MO about this and this is the first time he had this issue. The only other time there where issues was in the very beginning when he was helping PI develop and test these TC on the GS.

Your installer will tell you right away. The holes on the flywheel did not align correctly with the holes on the PI TC that Mo received. It probably wasn't correctly machined by PI. Anyway, we tested the new TC and it lines up correctly. Now I just have to find time to make the 250 mi journey back down to SRT.
Old 08-09-04, 04:02 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
well from what i heard some 400 people have the cel but most people that i know of don't have that problem. 430 on the other hand all of them have the cel problem. i think someone talked to pi and it has to do with sensors or so on the 430
400 no cel light

is burnout and peelout different ?? LOL
Old 08-09-04, 04:04 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Hameed, I think that was a fluke. I asked MO about this and this is the first time he had this issue. The only other time there where issues was in the very beginning when he was helping PI develop and test these TC on the GS.

Your installer will tell you right away. The holes on the flywheel did not align correctly with the holes on the PI TC that Mo received. It probably wasn't correctly machined by PI. Anyway, we tested the new TC and it lines up correctly. Now I just have to find time to make the 250 mi journey back down to SRT.
Ok, thanks! It sounds like you can do this check even with the tranny still on the car? I will not be able to pay my mechanic twice for this - just in case the threading is wrong and it can only be checked with the tranny off the car.......
Old 08-09-04, 06:12 PM
omegagavin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

LOL. I should be getting a kickback from Precision Industries for that video. Enjoy. It's the best bang for the buck mod for the GS400.
Old 08-09-04, 07:18 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

omegagavin....great video. I thank you, but my wife hates you.
More money being dumped into the car instead of going into my future baby's 529 plan
Old 08-09-04, 07:57 PM
omegagavin
Driver

Talking

Tell her I'm sorry. Maybe you should buy her a present of equal value. The TC's still worth it at twice the price.
Old 08-09-04, 08:48 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by mrjones
I had my torque Converter installed this week on my gs400 and though it will chirp the wheels with the VSC turned off I am still unable to do a burnout. (I Love GS4) do you have any other mods other than the TC?
By the way I have the factory 16” wheels and TC is my first mod

Dog gone Mr Jones, my stocker can do a smokey burnout!!! (lots of practice maybe? I use Romini's method, juuust enough to lock front, but rear's will start turning)
As far as nailing it from a stands-still, it depends upon the road, but, with VSC off It'll always get at least some tire squeal.

I don't have my TC in yet, but I'm piling up the $$$ to get it done.

Last edited by BA_GS400; 08-09-04 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 05:14 PM
mrjones
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BA_GS400
[B]Dog gone Mr Jones, my stocker can do a smokey burnout!!! (lots of practice maybe? I use Romini's method, juuust enough to lock front, but rear's will start turning)
As far as nailing it from a stands-still, it depends upon the road, but, with VSC off It'll always get at least some tire squeal.

I can do it that way, but I want to be able to do it like in omegagavins video.
he didn't do a break stand. at least I don't think he did?
Old 08-12-04, 06:02 PM
omegagavin
Driver

No brake torqueing at all, just floored it.
Old 08-12-04, 07:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrjones
[B]
Originally posted by BA_GS400
Dog gone Mr Jones, my stocker can do a smokey burnout!!! (lots of practice maybe? I use Romini's method, juuust enough to lock front, but rear's will start turning)

I can do it that way, but I want to be able to do it like in omegagavins video.
he didn't do a break stand. at least I don't think he did?
no need, with tc just floor the car completely and it will do that
Old 08-12-04, 07:09 PM
mrjones
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by rominl
no need, with tc just floor the car completely and it will do that
I have a PI tc but still can't do it, maybe with srt intake.
Old 08-12-04, 07:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i doubt that, coz' the intake doesn't really give the car much extra tq. to spin the wheels you need tq. very weird coz' i know people with the tc and no intake and 275/285 in the back and they do that at will. umm....
Old 08-12-04, 07:18 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just checkin. BUT did you turn off VSC when you tried to do a burn out??

Here's my car doing a burnout : http://www.lexusgonewild.com/videos.shtml

Just click on " LGW DVD trailer".

Quick Reply: WOW - Torque Converter Installed