GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cost of Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 01:54 PM
beachboy23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cost of Maintenance

How long do you think the Lexus GS can be kept before the costs are higher than what the car is worth? In my experience, Lexus parts are very expensive (e.g. $40 for a A/C air filter). At some point, the car won't be worth it anymore.
Old 08-11-04, 03:19 PM
Ditto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cost of Maintenance

Originally posted by beachboy23
How long do you think the Lexus GS can be kept before the costs are higher than what the car is worth? In my experience, Lexus parts are very expensive (e.g. $40 for a A/C air filter). At some point, the car won't be worth it anymore.
It depends on how it was taken care of and how hard you drive it. I've seen some toyotas with 300k miles with almost original parts. AC filter is DIY (here in CL) and can be changed for $1. Toyota Genuine Parts in general are fairly affordable. It depends on where you get them. Just go to a Lexus Dealer with a rolex and a nice suite and ask for a red coolant for your car. Then go to a toyota dealer and ask for the same coolant.
Old 08-11-04, 06:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

first of all, keep in mind you are in the luxury brand, sometimes you don't pay the price of toyota. at leat you pay a lot less than bimmer and mb. imho, with what i am doing to maintain the car, it would be a LONG time before i have to really worry about the overall maintanennce cost

and for the record, on the ac filter, why would you buy that from dealer.... just go to home depot to get the AC filter from there and cut it yourself
Old 08-11-04, 06:05 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Cost of Maintenance

Originally posted by beachboy23
Having had multiple Lexi in the family they are worth every cent. The cars rarely break down and if they do, it is a luxury car so prices will be higher.
Technically a car is a terrible investment so it doen't matter anyway.

Once you take care of regulur maintenace the car will go 200k+ miles with no issues.
Old 08-12-04, 09:27 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tell you what.....Just imagine what it would cost for a MB or a BMW.
Talk about not worth it.

You are in the bargain basement of luxury my friend.
Old 08-12-04, 11:29 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally posted by alexulan
tell you what.....Just imagine what it would cost for a MB or a BMW.
Talk about not worth it.

You are in the bargain basement of luxury my friend.
Yes, totally true what alexulan and other members have said. To me, Lexus/Toyota are cheap b/c you don't get the bull***** that you need ONLY MB/BMW products. Yes dealer parts are superior and well worth the $, and only on certain things. Just to think that an oil change for those germans are at least $100 (overpriced vs. being expensive) while Lexus is minimum $34. NOt only that , Lexus don't break down that often or have nasty electrical gremlins to deal with. It's only the mods that are expensive
Old 08-12-04, 11:59 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My independent Lexus shop told me that once you crack the 100K, that a fair monthly average for maintenance and repair is around $175 depending on the model. To me that seems a bit on the high side, but it sure is cheaper than a new car payment!!
Old 08-12-04, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally posted by Blanco
My independent Lexus shop told me that once you crack the 100K, that a fair monthly average for maintenance and repair is around $175 depending on the model. To me that seems a bit on the high side, but it sure is cheaper than a new car payment!!
Exactly. As used Lexus vehicles become cheaper they are affordable to more and more people but we're not talking about a Civic here. The cars are more complex, higher quality, and the service and parts are expensive.

But I'd still rather maintain a 10 year old Lexus than pay new car payments, provided I still like the car.