GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dealer messed up my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-04 | 10:57 PM
strshooter
Rookie

Angry Dealer f***ed up my wheels

Was wondering if any cl member have had a similar problems with a dealer. I took my gs in for service and I normally don't have the dealer wash the car, but my regular service tech was out sick and I forgot to tell them not to wash the car. When I went to pick up my car it was washed but the wheels looked dirty I took it home figuring I'd have them cleaned the next day.

The next day I took a closer look at the wheels and discovered that some ( about 25%) of the "Clear Coat" had been removed from all 4 wheels. It looked like someone had spayed some type of liquid on them. I took the car back to the dealer showed them the wheels. They acknowledged that the clear coat on the wheels was in deed damaged, but stated that they only use reverse osmosis water on cars and therefore the water could not have caused the damage.

The service manager requested that I provide him with a copy of the invoice for the purchase of the wheels, which I'm going to do tomorrow. I don't know how this situation is going to be resolved. Was wondering if anything similar to this has hppened to anyone else. Can the "Clear Coat be repaired. And what recourse should I take if the dealer decides to do nothing.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-04 | 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

yeah they will have to either repair the wheels back to spec or they have to get new wheels for you. they are responsible for that
Old 08-13-04 | 12:09 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

strshooter : Dont worry you're in good hands.. Dealer will be responsible for your wheels. Either they gonna send it out to get it clear coated or get you a new set of wheels =). Start looking for a new set of wheels with the money the dealer pays u if they decide to get u new wheels.

ToMMy
Old 08-13-04 | 03:04 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lexus GS3
strshooter : Dont worry you're in good hands.. Dealer will be responsible for your wheels. Either they gonna send it out to get it clear coated or get you a new set of wheels =). Start looking for a new set of wheels with the money the dealer pays u if they decide to get u new wheels.

ToMMy
Word..I mean we're dealing with Lexus here, not like you bought a Hyundai or something.

Just be cool, present your invoice and let them make you an offer. At that point, if the offer sux then start *****ing and raising hell!
Old 08-13-04 | 04:52 PM
strshooter
Rookie

Angry

Update, faxed a copy of the purchase invoice for the wheels to the dealer. I did not hear back from them so I called the service tech and left a message to return my call. He did not return my call, so I called customer service manager. She told me she would contact the service tech and have him return my call.

He returned my call in about 5 min. he stated that he had talked to his boss, the service dept manager and it was their position that the damage to the wheels was NOT done by his department and therefore they are not responsible and that there was nothing they would do. I told them that there leaving me with no choice but to escalate my complaint. Their reply was go ahead.

I'm in the process of doing just that. It seems to me that "Lexus Service" is going downhill, especially when cconsidering I'm dealing with the largest dealership in So Cal. and that I've purchased serveral cars from them.
Old 08-13-04 | 04:56 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

this just plain sucks

im sorry that your being treated like this

dont give up

demand justice

which dealership is it

maybe someone can help you

Old 08-13-04 | 06:12 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Post some pics of the damage if possible.
Old 08-13-04 | 06:35 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

u should have gave the car a once over before removing it from the dealership, that was mistake number one.

good luck with the fight!!!
Old 08-13-04 | 06:56 PM
strshooter
Rookie

T.L.W. the dealers Longo Lexus, is So Cal...

PHML.....I'll try and post some pics tomorrow...

Thanks for the supports from everyone..
Old 08-13-04 | 08:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

this sux dude..... a lot of time the chemical they use can easily be the cause for the wheels damage...... i have seen that before......
Old 08-13-04 | 09:17 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Is there any chance the damage was already there? Have to ask. I know that I've gotten a car or two back with a ding or a rim scratch over the years, but the only reason I noticed them was because the dealer had washed the car - for all I knew, the damage could have been there. It just seems weird that the dealer could put something on the wheels to damage them so easily. However I'm not ruling out the possibility that someone at the dealer (not necessarily an employee) damaged your wheels on purpose.
Old 08-13-04 | 10:11 PM
strshooter
Rookie

Doug_999

That's a fair question.

The answer in NO because the next day the wheels had a chalky sustance on them I think it was the residual of the clear coat covering. As I explained to the service tech @ Longo If it had occurred
earlier the "chalky substance would have been washed off when they washed the car.

I haven't posted any pics yet, but you can miss the damage to the clear coat on the wheels.

Which bring up my next point and that is the attendant who inspects cars for damage when arriving made no notation of any damage to my wheels, nor did I see any at that time.

The last point is that I had just finished playing golf and discusing new dubs for the gs with two friends and we were looking at the tires. After that discussion I drove immediatly to Longo for my service appointment.

that in a nut shell, is why I know they >>>>>>>>>>my wheels

thanks guys for letting me vent...........
Old 08-14-04 | 03:42 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

that sux man.....well if this helps, my $.02 regarding litigation:

In NYC, we have small claims court, which provides you no need to retain a lawyer, you pay $12 court fee and you can sue for up to $3,000.

If your wheels are worth more, consider that a lesson learned. File for a court date, submit your evidence (photos) and hope that you win
Old 08-14-04 | 05:12 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

OMG.... I thought Longo will definitely do the "RIGHT" thing. I met strshooter in person before, as matter of fact, I sold him the wheels. His integrity is not a question here. I have always been dealing with Longo since 97 when I bought my SC. I have to say some service consultants there do not know car better than us. I once took my car in for headlight problem, my normal service guy (Mike Sander) was not there, so Paul helped me out. I pointed the problem to him and even open the hood to show him what parts need to be replaced. After waiting for the whole day, he called and told me he couldn't find the problem....

Anyways, I hope everything can be resolved. A quick note for people who take their car to Longo: The new service facility is now using automatic car wash. If you have rims on your car, make sure you tell them either not to wash your car or take it downstair where the old service facility used to be to have it hand wash. Luckily, I have yet to experience this problem with Longo.

Strshoot, let me know what happen next.... Note: I am not sure if you want to let them fix the wheels anyways because your wheels is Diamond Cut Polished. I don't know if they can fix it to get close to original or not.

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 08-14-04 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-14-04 | 10:30 PM
strshooter
Rookie

Mark..

Thanks for getting me the copy of the invoice so quickly. The service tech that I was dealing with was Mike Sander. However, the S.T. that wrote up the work order was Hector (I don;t remember his last name). My regular guy was out sick.

Anyway, I thought Mike's attitute was condescending, he implied that the damage to the wheels was done prior to their service, thus calling me a liar. He also, stated that I would have to escalate my claim because his manager considerated it a closed matter.

The issue is now in Greg Penski office. I hope to hear from is assistant early next week.

I'll keep you posted.

p.s. I tried to download some pix, but the file was to big. Can anyone help..

thanks

norm

Quick Reply: Dealer messed up my wheels