GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: will blue98gs3 be able to clear 2001+ taillights
yes......yes he can
27.78%
no....no he can't
69.44%
maybe...It's like winning the lottery!
2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Will Blue98GS3 be able to clear 2001 taillights??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 03:10 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I even went back to check to make sure I did not get the members confused.......

Trying to find a better way to get clear tails, got me all flustered!!!!!
Old 04-05-05, 07:02 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
I even went back to check to make sure I did not get the members confused.......

Trying to find a better way to get clear tails, got me all flustered!!!!!

Yeah thats bluelex. Well me and josh figured a way to cut out the 2001 orange lights with a very fine cutter, but to fill it in and it look as good, well i just dont think it will happen.
Old 04-05-05, 10:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just as expected

but it's good for trying out though
Old 04-06-05, 10:05 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's what I figured as well. THere is a reason JP can sell them for that price. I must admit they look awesome!!!!!!

Looks like I am in the waiting game then for the JP ones......
Old 04-06-05, 11:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Blue98Gs3
Yeah thats bluelex. Well me and josh figured a way to cut out the 2001 orange lights with a very fine cutter, but to fill it in and it look as good, well i just dont think it will happen.
At least you got the cutting part down. I have access to a laser cutter and was going to try this when I have a chance.
I'm not quite sure what is that makes JP "whiter" since I can' t see the inside? Have you tried painting the inside white, using mirrors or reflective tapes...........?
Old 04-06-05, 12:28 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
At least you got the cutting part down. I have access to a laser cutter and was going to try this when I have a chance.
1. How are you going to program the laser to cut exactly between the amber and the red? There is a ridge of red lense going "ALL THE WAY AROUND" the amber/clear portion. It's a lot more work than just a straight line cut.

2. You'll need to find a way to remove the lense from the housing if you just want to cut through the lense. A laser cuts through EVERYTHING in its path. JP cuts the lense with a laser BEFORE the tails are assembled for the very first time. Everyone else has to un-glue the lense before they can cut it with a laser.

I'm not quite sure what is that makes JP "whiter" since I can' t see the inside? Have you tried painting the inside white, using mirrors or reflective tapes...........?
Sounds like you haven't seen a real JP in person. The JP lense is just clear, so you can see inside the chrome housing, the bulb, everything without any obstruction.

Please don't take my comments as discouraging negativity. I'm just into providing a reality check.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-06-05 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-06-05, 12:38 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
1. How are you going to program the laser to cut exactly between the amber and the red? There is a ridge of red lense going "ALL THE WAY AROUND" the amber/clear portion. It's a lot more work than just a straight line cut.

2. You'll need to find a way to remove the lense from the housing if you just want to cut through the lense. A laser cuts through EVERYTHING in its path. JP cuts the lense with a laser BEFORE the tails are assembled for the very first time. Everyone else has to un-glue the lense before they can cut it with a laser.

Sounds like you haven't seen a real JP in person. The JP lense is just clear, so you can see inside the chrome housing, the bulb, everything without any obstruction.

Please don't take my comments as discouraging negativity. I'm just into providing a reality check.
Couldn't have said it any better Still wish you the best of luck on your project.
Old 04-06-05, 02:53 PM
GS3Tek

Talking

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think there's no way am I ever going to do this mod, too costly and time consuming for me. It was just a thought and if I ever have any free times on my hand, I wouldn't mind "playing" around.
Just thought that I threw in the laser cutter to maybe help blue out if he ever wanted to do mass fast cutting

Nope, never seen a jp tail, barely 1 or 2 gs with even l-tuned sides
Old 04-06-05, 04:57 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just thought that I threw in the laser cutter to maybe help blue out if he ever wanted to do mass fast cutting
Well, I was thinking you might respond that you have a "good" connection with the laser cutting. If you knew someone who has access to a laser and could program it to cut in a 3 axis motion, you would make a lot of friends on CL.
Old 04-06-05, 05:18 PM
GS3Tek

Well, I was thinking you might respond that you have a "good" connection with the laser cutting. If you knew someone who has access to a laser and could program it to cut in a 3 axis motion, you would make a lot of friends on CL.
No 3 axis, just x and y
What could you do with the 3 axis that needs cutting for?
Old 04-06-05, 11:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

No 3 axis, just x and y
What could you do with the 3 axis that needs cutting for?
if it's only 2 axis then it's no go, coz' the ambert part of the taillight is curved
Old 06-27-05, 11:17 PM
jskim9
Rookie

OMG, hope people don't buy em.

If I ever see someone with those tails I'll be moved to shout out " Nice Honda, almost looks like a Lexus !
no, actually, what this gives is a basis for us to mod the APCrap. Those will be a lot easier to disassemble and modify. Maybe they'll do some stupid Altezza crap. Then take it apart, and you can paint the inside, or whatever. Eitherway, it'll give us one more option or at least one more possibility
Old 06-28-05, 10:54 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

im seriously going to work on this project when i have the resources to do so... i have somethign else in the works for my car