GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 06:08 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Kit

Well, I've been patiently waiting for my Vertex bodykit since the end of May. So the kit arrives in port, clears customs and then is SOLD TO SOMEONE ELSE! The distributor says something like there was mix-up with the paperwork and he didn't have all the info needed from my dealer ( who I placed the order through ). There were numerous phone calls from me and the dealer to check on the status of this kit with the distributor and he took my name and I also stated that the kit was ordered from my dealer. No mention of any problems during these conversations! I'm PISSED! I have a call into the owner of the distributor, but I don't know if he'll even call back. At this point I don't want to do business with him again ( meaning I don't want to wait that long again and then who knows ). Maybe he sold it to a friend. What a way to do business.

So now I'm in the market again for a bodykit. I really liked the sideskirts of the Vertex and the front bumper - the rear, well I was gonna take my chances and see if I could live with it. After looking around it appears that the Fabulous kit is similar to the Vertex but with a better flowing rear bumper ( not as angular ). Problem is I've only seen the Fabulous from one viewpoint, and I'm not sure where to order it from. Obviously I have many choices - kits or just lips, skirts and rear bumper changes ( GReddy lip, L Tune skirts and L-Sportline rear bumper ). I would rather do the kit approach. My preference is for relatively pronounced, simple sideskirts ( to help flow with my 20 X 9/20 X 10 Lowenharts ) like the Vertex. Anyway I wanted to express my disappointment over this and get some opinions at the same time.
Old 08-15-04, 07:41 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

dude, thats sucks. sad part is u can scream and yell and u r probably only going 2 get u'r money back with no real explanation. i do agree, they probably did sell it 2 someone who they know so they wouldn't have 2 wait..but wow man May is a long time ago. its the risks u take when trying 2 fo with an import kit. mayb u should try junctiongs. he could probably get u any kit u like from overseas and he's a stand up guy...

Last edited by bluelex; 08-15-04 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-15-04, 11:27 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

damn that really bites.... Have you spoke with Chris from Speedalliance yet? When I was about to order the Kit myself the turn around time for the kit to arrive to the US was only 2 weeks?....I hope that when you speak about the "distributer" its not him (since he's the only distributer in the U.S.)....he's seriously a nice guy. in any event....that really bites the big one...i was looking forward to seeing it on your car..
Old 08-15-04, 12:02 PM
MY GS300
Lexus Test Driver

I am sorry to hear about that.

You should ask them for your money back and compensation.

I do not know much about body kits so I cannot help you on that.

But I hope it all goes well.

-Donald
Old 08-15-04, 12:58 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Maybe you should name the distributor, so no one else here will get screwed around as you did...
Old 08-15-04, 09:11 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I went with custom. So I don't have to deal with bull$h1t like this from anyone. Sorry to hear about your fiasco man....
Old 08-15-04, 11:06 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

That sucks about what happened.

Did you try to get Steve to get it for you ?
Old 08-16-04, 01:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh man that totally sux sorry to hear about what happened, i would be hella pissed too

about what other kits to get, if i were you i would just get the hyper rev magazine and see all the kits avaiable, and decide from there
Old 08-16-04, 06:29 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Panda,

I have a call into Chris. Have not received a return call yet ( I called Warren on Friday and left a message for Chris to call me ). I thought going through the distributor was the way to go for this kit. Now I wish I had gone through Steve at Carson's.
Old 08-16-04, 12:00 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. I was looking forward to seeing the kit on your car. When i was looking into the Vertex, I talked to Chris a few times and he seemed reasonable. I hope you get this worked out.
Old 08-16-04, 02:35 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

My brother bought a vertex front bumper from speedalliance (for his SC tho), and he got it within a week or two. Sorry to hear about ur fiasco.

-SB

Last edited by Sleepyboi; 08-16-04 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-16-04, 11:30 PM
chrisgs
Driver

i also like Vertex but i don't like the rear that much, too angular. i email John (JP) for the Fabulous and he said Fabulous is hard to get these day and also hard for him to play with the price. Steve quoted me as this:
Vertex - $2236
Fabulous - $2110

Vertex at Speedalliance.com
$2099

in my opinion, i think Fabulous will flow much better with the GS body than the Vertex does. Have you look at Sessions kit yet? it look pretty good over all. Post some pics when you get the kit. good luck
Old 08-19-04, 05:43 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

I have received no return call from Chris, so I take this as meaning I'm out of luck and they do not want to talk about it. They don't have my money because I ordered through my Lexus dealer ( who will do the painting and install - I worked out a very good deal with them when I bought the car ). Now my decisions are stay with the Vertex kit and get it from Steve, or go with the Fabulous kit through Canautoclub. Prices are similar, so that's not a big player and timeframes are 2 weeks difference ( mid-Sept to late Sept ) - so that is not a huge decision maker either, especially since I've been waiting so long already! One thing's for sure - I know I can count on Steve. I really like the sideskirts of the Vertex, the front bumper of the Fabulous and the rear.......well the Fabulous is more to my liking but it comes with the square cut-out ( for a 4 tip exhaust ) and I really hate to modify my Carson Tuned exhaust to a 4 tip exhaust. Think it's possible to modify the Fab rear to match my round Carson tips? I've already asked if there's an option on the rear cut-outs but I suspect not ( made for the Fabulous 4 tip square exhaust ). I plan on deciding by Monday when I get more info from Canautoclub on the Fabulous. What say you CL dudes?
Old 08-19-04, 05:58 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, go with the Fabulous. No one here has it. I almost got it, but went custom instead. The price you got is pretty decent. I could get it a wee-bit cheaper here, but then again, I am also a lot closer than you to the factory. You got some great prices from John.
Old 08-19-04, 10:05 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by TeeLex
I really hate to modify my Carson Tuned exhaust to a 4 tip exhaust. Think it's possible to modify the Fab rear to match my round Carson tips?
You may have to modify the exhaust tips anyway. I don't have the measurements for the Fabulous rear but many of the other kits have a rear that does not curve in as much as the stock. This means that the tip has to be longer to be at least flush with the aftermarket rears.

The Carson Tuned was made to fit the stock rear. You may find that the Carson Tuned tips to be too recessed into the bumper. The pipe just needs to be lengthened but since it already has to be modded, why not go all the way and change the tips to a quad setup to fit the Fabulous rear bumper?

Quick Reply: Body Kit