GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Clicking in passenger side dash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Default Clicking in passenger side dash?

My passenger side dash just started clicking sometimes as I'm driving. Seems to stop if I turn off the climate control. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-04, 07:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Bit,

Does the clicking sound increase and decrease as you turn the fan from high to low? I had the dealer replace my center AC fan unit because it was making noise that sounded a bit like an old timey film projector. Not too loud, but noticable because I'm **** about 'extra' noises from my car.
Old 08-15-04, 09:47 PM
zer0style
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to get that clicking noise and i do believe when i had the ac or the air on, hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-16-04, 07:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Bit,

Does the clicking sound increase and decrease as you turn the fan from high to low? I had the dealer replace my center AC fan unit because it was making noise that sounded a bit like an old timey film projector. Not too loud, but noticable because I'm **** about 'extra' noises from my car.
No Dave, it's just a click about 1 click per second maybe, fan speed doesn't matter.
Old 09-24-04, 07:50 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

I hear a light clicking sound that resembles an old fashioned typewriter. It's only when I start the car, and only for a few minutes, and unrelated to fan speed or climate control power on/off. Comes from the center of the dash.
Old 09-25-04, 04:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
No Dave, it's just a click about 1 click per second maybe, fan speed doesn't matter.
I have the exact same problem on my car. The only difference is that it comes and goes at will. I mean that on some days I hear it and other days it is perfectly fine. I have learned to live with it.

My GS has however developed this very annoying rattling sound coming from the drivers side vent though in the last week or so. It is so loud and obvious - it is driving me literally insane............ Just like you DaveGS4, I am absolutely **** about "extra" noises in my car.

It does not help one bit either that my wife's 97 Maxima SE with three times the mileage on it and two years older has absolutely no rattles from the dash. My GS now sounds like absolute junk whenever the road is slightly bumpy.

I did a search here on CL and two posts came up discussing this rattle from the left side of the car, however both posts address rattles closer to the brake pedal release rather than higher up at the vent itself.

Any suggestions anyone on what to do to resolve this? How can I take out the vent itself? I want to take it out and put some felt in there and see if that stops it.

Last edited by Hameed; 09-25-04 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-25-04, 05:43 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if it is the same problem. I had the A/C solenoid replace a couple of years ago. The solenoid controls a flap that mix air and sometimes it does not close properly the switch. The sound I get is a clicking or tapping sound that almost resemble morse code. The Lexus technician showd me that if you turn the temperature to max cold or max hot the sound stops. He noticed that the problem occurs more often when people set their A/C in mix temperature range. Try turning the temperature to max hot or max cold and see if the sound stops. If it does then it is most likely the same problem

Chu...
Old 09-25-04, 05:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ChuH
Don't know if it is the same problem. I had the A/C solenoid replace a couple of years ago. The solenoid controls a flap that mix air and sometimes it does not close properly the switch. The sound I get is a clicking or tapping sound that almost resemble morse code. The Lexus technician showd me that if you turn the temperature to max cold or max hot the sound stops. He noticed that the problem occurs more often when people set their A/C in mix temperature range. Try turning the temperature to max hot or max cold and see if the sound stops. If it does then it is most likely the same problem

Chu...
Excellent feedback, thank you so much! Next time it happens, I'll try the max cold routine to see!

Thanks again.

Hameed - yes, mine comes and goes too. Sorry about your driver's side vent problem, probably easily fixed by the dealer with some felt.

Ex996 - yes, same symptoms as mine.
Old 09-26-04, 09:24 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

It's funny that I had this problem for over a year, and just recently figured out exactly where it's coming from, and how to replicate. I didn't bother to take it to the dealer yet, because it only happens every once in a while. Maybe 2-3 times a month I'll hear it while stopped or cruising. The sound is exactly same as when you change the air vent mode to outside and inside back and forth. Another way I can replicate the sound is change the auto temp from around 70 to 80 back and forth. Somewhere in the middle of change, I'll hear the click.
The worst part is that I can hear the noise sometimes while auto AC is off. But I did notice the vent direction does actually change based on outside temp while auto AC is off.

When it happens it's the click, click, click in a row as if the sensor cannot decide how to change the vent.
Based on this, I think what chu said makes a perfect sense.

Last edited by gs4rocks; 09-26-04 at 09:26 PM.