GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Did some testing on the Autobahn.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 05:19 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow. Was your foot on the floor? In other words, could the car not go any faster? I assume you had it in regular drive mode? I wonder if you could have taken it faster in 4th (maybe the engine could turn 4th gear faster as opposed to the overdrive gear). My first car was a Mustang GT 5 speed. I believe the car's top speed was in 4th gear as opposed to 5th. The engine just couldn't turn the 5th gear/overdrive above 4000 rpm (starting from say 2000 rpm), yet it could redline in 4th, which, when shifted to 5th, worked out to about 4400 rpm. Kind of weird.

e-man
Old 08-16-04, 05:43 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow richie your nuts so exactly how fast was that again in MPH ?????
Old 08-16-04, 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally posted by ias
thats a good picture, wuz the passenger on your lap, heheheheheheh
Yeah it was a squirrel.

OK Richie, explain how a 'passenger' took the pic, from the back seat over your shoulder? Or just reached over from the passenger seat?
Old 08-16-04, 09:08 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome!!
Old 08-16-04, 09:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Richie-

Yes, what roads?

One of our cable/sat stations (Discovery channel) has shown the history of the Autobahn and it is fascinating. The comparison to the roads here and in Germany amaze me. So too are the driver proficiency in terms of education and awareness. Of course on a TV program it seems so idealized...nonetheless, a marked contrast for those of us driving in North America.
Old 08-16-04, 09:53 PM
Rondo1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking History Channel on the Autobahn

Yes, I saw the history show on the autobahn on the History Channel just last week. It is truly amazing. Long slow curves, double sided safety rails (one facing each direction of road), and an asphalt base of something like 24" inches! They also mentioned that the cost to maintain is also extremely high, but its a national pride issue so they spend the money on it. But here's some other goodies that I learned on that show:

1) You are NOT allowed to stay in the right lane if there is any car going faster behind you, in fact most people pass and move to the right.
2) You get a ticket for any show of hostility toward your fellow driver. Flipping someone off will land you a major ticket.
3) The cost of your ticket has a base starting price, but it also increases based on your yearly income!!! The show mentioned that one multi-millionaire that was caught speeding in one of the slower zones (80mph folks), got a speeding ticket for -- $20,000.
4) It is ILLEGAL to run out of gas on the autobahn.
5) Maintenance is superb. Crews inspect every meter of the system periodically, and when a fissure or other defect is found, the entire road section is replaced. Signs, barriers, and other features are also well maintained

Intrigued? Check out more: http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/autobahn.htm
Old 08-17-04, 06:22 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Hameed
That was exactly what I thought! It definitely looks as if the photographer is in your lap. Come now Richie, fess up!!!

I am so jealous of you guys being able to go that fast. The fastest I drove my car was 200 kph and that too was for only a couple of mins.
LOL, the photographer was a guy so he was deffenatly not in my lap.
He just reached over and snapped a pic from the pasenger seat.

Hameed I only drive fast when I am in Germany, if I did these kind of speeds in Holland and they caught me, I would be without licence and car now.
Old 08-17-04, 06:25 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by e-man
Wow. Was your foot on the floor? In other words, could the car not go any faster? I assume you had it in regular drive mode? I wonder if you could have taken it faster in 4th (maybe the engine could turn 4th gear faster as opposed to the overdrive gear). My first car was a Mustang GT 5 speed. I believe the car's top speed was in 4th gear as opposed to 5th. The engine just couldn't turn the 5th gear/overdrive above 4000 rpm (starting from say 2000 rpm), yet it could redline in 4th, which, when shifted to 5th, worked out to about 4400 rpm. Kind of weird.

e-man
No, my foot was not totally on the floor and it was still slowly accelerating when I had to brake a little at 242 km/h.
I had it in the regular drive mode, maybe it would have been better in 4th but I forgot to put it there.
Old 08-17-04, 06:26 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexusondubs
wow richie your nuts so exactly how fast was that again in MPH ?????
Thanks for the compliment!!
Just divide by 1.609 so around 150mph (don't have a calculator handy).
Old 08-17-04, 07:03 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RA40
Richie-

Yes, what roads?

One of our cable/sat stations (Discovery channel) has shown the history of the Autobahn and it is fascinating. The comparison to the roads here and in Germany amaze me. So too are the driver proficiency in terms of education and awareness. Of course on a TV program it seems so idealized...nonetheless, a marked contrast for those of us driving in North America.
I think it was mostly the E30, I remember the 7 also. Not sure, my buddy was navigating.

After having experienced driving on some LA freeways......................I really like it a lot better driving here, LOL!!
Old 08-17-04, 07:08 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: History Channel on the Autobahn

Originally posted by Rondo1
Yes, I saw the history show on the autobahn on the History Channel just last week. It is truly amazing. Long slow curves, double sided safety rails (one facing each direction of road), and an asphalt base of something like 24" inches! They also mentioned that the cost to maintain is also extremely high, but its a national pride issue so they spend the money on it. But here's some other goodies that I learned on that show:

1) You are NOT allowed to stay in the right lane if there is any car going faster behind you, in fact most people pass and move to the right.
2) You get a ticket for any show of hostility toward your fellow driver. Flipping someone off will land you a major ticket.
3) The cost of your ticket has a base starting price, but it also increases based on your yearly income!!! The show mentioned that one multi-millionaire that was caught speeding in one of the slower zones (80mph folks), got a speeding ticket for -- $20,000.
4) It is ILLEGAL to run out of gas on the autobahn.
5) Maintenance is superb. Crews inspect every meter of the system periodically, and when a fissure or other defect is found, the entire road section is replaced. Signs, barriers, and other features are also well maintained

Intrigued? Check out more: http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/autobahn.htm
1) I think you mean the leftlane is just for overtaking, if there is room to go to the right, that is what you have to do.
2) True, giving people the bird is not done over there and if you get caught, you'll have to pay a big fine.
3) Don't think that is true for Germany but it is true for either Sweden, Norway or Finland. Some guy there had been given a fine for 200k because he was speeding and one of the wealthiest people in that country.
Crazy idea if you ask me.
4) Also true, a lot of people carry extra gas in the car for just such a situation.
5) The autobahn is one of the best maintained highway systems in Europe but it isn't faultless.
Old 08-17-04, 07:11 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

One other think you have to watch out for on the autobahn when driving at speed is traffic jams, especially when the road is a bit curvy or going up and down you may not see it in time, so adjust the speed.

Here is a pic of me in one, LOL.
The stuff on the windsheeld is dead bugs.
Attached Thumbnails Did some testing on the Autobahn.-stau.jpg  
Old 08-17-04, 09:08 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Wow, it must be nice to open her up like that. You are one lucky fellow.
Old 08-17-04, 09:10 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Pardon my ignorance, but did you bring your GS from the U.S. to Europe, or are you driving a Euro spec GS?
Old 08-17-04, 09:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally posted by veritek
Pardon my ignorance, but did you bring your GS from the U.S. to Europe, or are you driving a Euro spec GS?
He has a Euro spec GS.

Quick Reply: Did some testing on the Autobahn.