GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Warm Up timing for GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04 | 05:06 PM
rjheard
Driver

Originally posted by Cadd
I guess I’m old school. I warm up all my cars before I drive them. I know I know, it is more efficient to warm up the car by driving it slowly than to have it sit there idling.

But I usually start the car and let it sit there for a minute or so before pulling out (this time is used for cleaning the bugs off the car from overnight crap or cleaning the windshield, mounting the V1, getting the shade out, setting up the cell).

I will not get on the car hard (RPM over 3k) until the temp gauge reaches mid point.

Funny this topic was brought up….I wanted to ask this question and thought I would get flamed for “warming” up my car before driving it, since it’s common knowledge nowadays that the best way to warm up your car is to drive it gently.

However, I noticed something about this car from my previous cars that I driven (4 cyl DC minivan/4 cyl Camry/4 cyl CR-V).

I noticed that this car stays warm through out the day. Has anyone noticed this? If I drive my CR-V around in the morning and after several hours, it would be cold again (meaning when I start it up around noon time, it takes a pretty long time before it reaches normal operating temp). However, on the GS4, when I start it up during noon, it warms up pretty damn quick….I assumed that it has something to do with the larger V8 motor…somehow preserving the heat. Is this true? Can anyone with experience with 4, 6 or 8 cylinder cars comment?

Aerodragon, I noticed that if you let it idle for a minute or two, the idle will drop below 1,000.

I usually start driving off when I see the temp gauge move a little bit (from all the way below “C” up to the lowest line by the “C”…about a 1mm movement).

Edit: Did I mention that I LOVE remote start? This is the first car that I have a remote start in....AWESOME. I start it up when I start putting my shoes on.

What type of unit did you use for remote start? Do you still use the key transmitter or aftermarket? The range for my factory remote sucks!
Old 10-07-04 | 05:34 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rjheard
What type of unit did you use for remote start? Do you still use the key transmitter or aftermarket? The range for my factory remote sucks!
I have the Valet 554R (identical to the Viper 791vx unit).

I have the OEM key transmitter along with the "pager" that comes with the Valet. I have 2 alarms. Since the OEM alarm doesn't have a shock sensor, only the Valet alarm works when someone hits the car (alarm sounds and my pager beeps notifying me the zone that was triggered).

But if the door is forced open, both alarm starts blasting.

The remote start unit is included with the Valet 554R.
Old 10-07-04 | 06:04 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Default Remote start

I guess I’m old school. I warm up all my cars before I drive them. I know I know, it is more efficient to warm up the car by driving it slowly than to have it sit there idling.

But I usually start the car and let it sit there for a minute or so before pulling out (this time is used for cleaning the bugs off the car from overnight crap or cleaning the windshield, mounting the V1, getting the shade out, setting up the cell).

I will not get on the car hard (RPM over 3k) until the temp gauge reaches mid point.

Funny this topic was brought up….I wanted to ask this question and thought I would get flamed for “warming” up my car before driving it, since it’s common knowledge nowadays that the best way to warm up your car is to drive it gently.

However, I noticed something about this car from my previous cars that I driven (4 cyl DC minivan/4 cyl Camry/4 cyl CR-V).

I noticed that this car stays warm through out the day. Has anyone noticed this? If I drive my CR-V around in the morning and after several hours, it would be cold again (meaning when I start it up around noon time, it takes a pretty long time before it reaches normal operating temp). However, on the GS4, when I start it up during noon, it warms up pretty damn quick….I assumed that it has something to do with the larger V8 motor…somehow preserving the heat. Is this true? Can anyone with experience with 4, 6 or 8 cylinder cars comment?

Aerodragon, I noticed that if you let it idle for a minute or two, the idle will drop below 1,000.

I usually start driving off when I see the temp gauge move a little bit (from all the way below “C” up to the lowest line by the “C”…about a 1mm movement).

Edit: Did I mention that I LOVE remote start? This is the first car that I have a remote start in....AWESOME. I start it up when I start putting my shoes on.
Im glad you like that Remote Start!
Old 10-07-04 | 06:08 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Angel, YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!!

For those who don't know, Angel installed this unit for me. This man's work is impeccable. No short cuts taken. Doing things the right way. Everything was neatly tucked in place.

Last edited by Cadd; 10-07-04 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-07-04 | 06:12 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Default PIcs

Where are the pics? Just kidding
Old 10-07-04 | 08:44 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Default hmm...

i always grew up watching my parents sit in their cars waiting for the cars to warm up so i guess i kind of do it too... but i heard that cars don't necessarily need a warm up. taking it easy for the first couple minutes should be plenty...

plus... my GS loves cold air... wink wink *
Old 10-07-04 | 11:31 PM
gs3la
Driver

i don't know if anybody bothered to read the owners manual but it only requires that we warm up the car for about 10 seconds. this is usually what i do, then i proceed to drive easy for the first couple of minutes.
Old 10-08-04 | 06:06 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

Wanna install another one Angel?
Old 10-08-04 | 09:52 AM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

Can't wait for the group buy.
Im in...is this happening ?
Old 10-08-04 | 11:38 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Default Alarm

BigMoNYC Check your PM.

Last edited by angelslex; 10-08-04 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-08-04 | 11:40 AM
nyczdave
Pole Position

How much did the remote start run you?

Angel, YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!!

For those who don't know, Angel installed this unit for me. This man's work is impeccable. No short cuts taken. Doing things the right way. Everything was neatly tucked in place.
Old 10-08-04 | 12:29 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

the problem with this thread is the locale of everyone commenting.

In FL it never gets cold enough to worry, similarly in Cali and any other warm climate

in NY and parts north it gets quite cold and warming up is essential IMO

I auto start my car, leave it in the garage with door open and I let it run at least 5 minutes b4 I drive.

I pity the ppl and their GS's who don't let it warm up in cold climates
Old 10-08-04 | 05:22 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by nyczdave
How much did the remote start run you?
PM Angelslex for his prices.