GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Warm Up timing for GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 07:46 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm Up timing for GS

guys:

how long would you wait to warm up your GS before starting to drive (assuming at cold start)?

I've noticed that in most cars (other than GS) the rpm will drop below 1000 rpm if you wait for a minute or so; but I did not see it in GS (it would drop but not below 1000); does this mean I should wait longer before starting to drive ?
Old 08-17-04, 08:11 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I give my GS4 about 10 seconds or the the time it takes to press the "I Agree" button on the Navigation before I put it in reverse Whichever comes first.
Old 08-17-04, 08:16 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

did you see it that it was at more than 1000 rpm before you put into Reverse?
Old 08-17-04, 08:17 PM
zmatrix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turn key
engine on
put in reverse and drive

I take it easy the first 2-3 minutes of driving before i open it up

Last edited by zmatrix; 08-17-04 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 08:22 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

thanks guys!
Old 08-17-04, 09:28 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually just give it enough time for me to put things in order: situate any bags/totes/..., setup my cell phone, get my shades. Then just reverse and go. The car warms up much faster when you dive it vs. letting it sit there. Usually, by the time I get to the freeway entrance (less than 1mi away), the car is warm enough for regular driving.
Old 08-17-04, 09:32 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

great!
Old 08-17-04, 09:38 PM
Ditto
Pole Position

Default Re: Warm Up timing for GS

Originally posted by aerodragon
guys:

how long would you wait to warm up your GS before starting to drive (assuming at cold start)?
The time amount of time it takes from turning the ignition to shifting to reverse. (I release the parking brake with my left hand and shift to reverse with my right hand at the same time.)
Total time: 1.5 seconds
Old 08-17-04, 09:55 PM
Dee
Lead Lap

i wake up brush my teeth, take a shower, start the car from my room, and by the time i get downstairs the car is ready to go.
Old 08-17-04, 11:57 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

I usually start the car and wait until it hits 1100 rpm and the temp gauge moves a bit, then i go. It will be another case if I got remote start.

Can't wait for the group buy.
Old 08-18-04, 06:59 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Modern cars have no reason to warm up for more than 10 seconds or so. Just long enough for the oil to circulate.

You also don't want to be getting on it (say over 3k RPM) until the temp guage raises most of the way up, but just normal daily driving requires just a few seconds before putting it into gear.

Heck, I start my car up, and then put my seatbelt on, then back out of my driveway at idle. The driveway is somewhat long, so by the time I have my seatbelt on and am on the main road it has definitely been at least 10 seconds, probably more like 15 or 20.
Old 08-18-04, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there is no need to really warm up the car, totally unnecessary. just start the car, give it a few seconds, and drive. drive easy the first few mins till the engine warms up is a good idea
Old 08-18-04, 09:23 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I’m old school. I warm up all my cars before I drive them. I know I know, it is more efficient to warm up the car by driving it slowly than to have it sit there idling.

But I usually start the car and let it sit there for a minute or so before pulling out (this time is used for cleaning the bugs off the car from overnight crap or cleaning the windshield, mounting the V1, getting the shade out, setting up the cell).

I will not get on the car hard (RPM over 3k) until the temp gauge reaches mid point.

Funny this topic was brought up….I wanted to ask this question and thought I would get flamed for “warming” up my car before driving it, since it’s common knowledge nowadays that the best way to warm up your car is to drive it gently.

However, I noticed something about this car from my previous cars that I driven (4 cyl DC minivan/4 cyl Camry/4 cyl CR-V).

I noticed that this car stays warm through out the day. Has anyone noticed this? If I drive my CR-V around in the morning and after several hours, it would be cold again (meaning when I start it up around noon time, it takes a pretty long time before it reaches normal operating temp). However, on the GS4, when I start it up during noon, it warms up pretty damn quick….I assumed that it has something to do with the larger V8 motor…somehow preserving the heat. Is this true? Can anyone with experience with 4, 6 or 8 cylinder cars comment?

Aerodragon, I noticed that if you let it idle for a minute or two, the idle will drop below 1,000.

I usually start driving off when I see the temp gauge move a little bit (from all the way below “C” up to the lowest line by the “C”…about a 1mm movement).

Edit: Did I mention that I LOVE remote start? This is the first car that I have a remote start in....AWESOME. I start it up when I start putting my shoes on.

Last edited by Cadd; 08-18-04 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-18-04, 12:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

not for mine though, mine warms up about the same every time?
Old 08-21-04, 07:52 AM
aerodragon
Pole Position

thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Warm Up timing for GS